WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Truck To Buy?

DrHW

Reaction score
Need a V8, 4 x 4 with a big Cab to tow the Boat and trailer\razor. Chevy had some great rebates a few months back and Ford did last month. Dodge has the Hemi which is great but the interior is usually lacking.

Please speak of which of these Big 3's you like and why.

No Ford sucks or Chevy's are Inland Empire trucks not Orange County, just your experience and\or who's got the best performing truck at a decent price. Have any of the Big 3 distanced themselves from the pack recently based upon performance, technology or durability?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and ideas. As always, it is appreciated.

D

Deleted Account

Who doesn't like a limo...:D

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 30

TOBTEK

Reaction score
How heavy of a boat ? I have a new Crew Max Toyota Tundra. The thing should have a Lexus emblem on it ! Really nice truck, with a HUGE 4 door cab. TMCC has 72 months for 0% WITH a $1000.00 rebate for the upcoming holliday weekend. Shoot me a call if I can Bro you out. Number is below. I work at a Toyota Dealership in finance.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
A friend of mine has had just about every truck out there and tells me his new Dodge is the best truck he's ever owned..

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
Well I know ford will probably come at the highest, but I know 3 people with the f150 ecoboost and they love it, all tow as well. I have owned a dodge with a hemi, albeit an 04. I loved it. Chevy always has a good product. If you are going gas not diesel go with whatever you can get the best deal on and drives the best to you

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
The new dodge interiors are pretty nice. Plus if you get a gas motor you can buy a lifetime warrantee which sounds pretty nice.

Wakker

Sober
Reaction score
I just bought a 13' Ram 4x4 3500 Dually w/ cummins... Definitely the baddest ass truck I've owned. Interior is FAR better than my cousin's new Chevy IMO.

TCHB

Reaction score
The new dodge interiors are pretty nice. Plus if you get a gas motor you can buy a lifetime warrantee which sounds pretty nice.

I agree and think the new Dodge would be a good truck. I have a 2008 Chevrolet crew cab and it has been a great truck. No complaints.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If you can wait until Fall, the Ram 1500 "EcoDiesel" will come out.
For MPG, if it gets low-20's in the city and close to 30 on the highway, I'd consider one for a daily driver.

Not a V8, but will pull a RZR and a decent-sized boat.
Plus the coil-spring rear suspension on these trucks give them a plush ride.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
The knock on dodge has always been interiors and trans...both seem to be comparable to the others now. Always had a thing for dodge. My 01 and 04 were both great trucks till I got suckered for a ford 6.blow

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I had a raptor, just bought an Eco boost. This may be the best truck I've ever owned. If they put the ecoboost in a Raptor I'd buy it tomorrow. It's so quiet, mileage and power are exceptional. I like the Ford buckets with Ac seats and Sync. Back up camera. It has everything I need and a really good towing capacity.

D

Deleted Account

I had a raptor, just bought an Eco boost. This may be the best truck I've ever owned. If they put the ecoboost in a Raptor I'd buy it tomorrow. It's so quiet, mileage and power are exceptional. I like the Ford buckets with Ac seats and Sync. Back up camera. It has everything I need and a really good towing capacity.

No Shit! Got my wife an ecoboost Flex, and I'm ruining the neighbors (been told I can't drive it anymore)... That in a Raptor, sign me up!!!:D:D:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We're waiting until later this year and will probably order the 2015 GMC 3500 AWD dually. Supposed to start production in Nov. The 2014 is a continuation of the 2013. The 2015 3500 HD is all new.
Gen 6 Duramax coming is the tale told in some of the rags, along with some really nice improvements.

Last edited:

GregG

Reaction score
I'd be interested in the same info on the Eco Boost. Thanks

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Could you explain the eco boost and what it does? My dads out here and is in the market for a truck and keeps talking about this? I haven't read up on it yet? Does this Eco boost come in a standard F150 FX4 super crew? Do only 2013s have this pkg? He was also considering an AWD Caddy ESV.

But if OD1 or anyone else can explain the Eco Boost too me I would appreciate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent 10mins looking at new/used Ford F-150s on autotrader, and none of them say Eco Boost as an option? Idk if the 2012s have this? But even the brand new 2013s didn't say that as an option so idk if you have to special order one? Hopefully others will chime in here.:thumbsup

I'd be interested in the same info on the Eco Boost. Thanks

Are you fucking with us Pokey?

Check around here....

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/5-f150-ecoboost-forum

I googled EcoBoost F150 and came up with all kinds of info from Ford themselves.:rolleyes

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Can wait until next year and get the Titan with the 5.0L Cummins Diesel

hallett21

Reaction score
Thanks! I just hadn't read up on any of it. I was sure about exactly how it worked or what the prices were until my dad had to me he's in the market for either an Eco boost or AWD ESV. We were gonna go look tomorrow, of there's a Ford dealer you or anyone might recommend closest to north OC with a nice selection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hernando on the boards is who we got our ecoboost from. He is out of Santa margarita ford. Awesome guy to work with!!

waterhorse

Reaction score
I run a Dodge Mega with a Hemi and have been very happy with it.

Aaron

Reaction score
I have an 08 Duramax and although it is a deisel and not a gas truck it has been great. I owned an 04 Chevy with a V8 prior to that and they have both been very goo trucks and have not given me any issues what so ever.
I get complements on my current truck pretty much everywhere I go. It's ice to get in and go and not have to worry about issues.
Good luck finding a truck. I am sure whatever you buy will work out. All of the maunfacturers are making good products now, except Ford, they suck j/k :D

slowride

Reaction score
Need a V8, 4 x 4 with a big Cab to tow the Boat and trailer\razor. Chevy had some great rebates a few months back and Ford did last month. Dodge has the Hemi which is great but the interior is usually lacking.

Please speak of which of these Big 3's you like and why.

No Ford sucks or Chevy's are Inland Empire trucks not Orange County, just your experience and\or who's got the best performing truck at a decent price. Have any of the Big 3 distanced themselves from the pack recently based upon performance, technology or durability?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and ideas. As always, it is appreciated.

Can't speak to first hand experience owning Chevy or Ford, but have had 2001, 2007, and now 2013 Dodge quad cabs. The 'o1 was a 5.9 gas and ok, interior better than Ford or Chevy at the time. 2007 with a hemi w/MDS was the best hands down power-wise. Interior was nice, but tranny died at 108K. Just bought the 2013 with a hemi, 6spd auto, MDS and VVT. I bought it thinking a bit more power would make it even better than the '07 and the seats are VERY COMFY. Unfortunately, it is gutless. My '07 could kick it's ass up one side and down the other. The computerized dash layout sucks. Gas mileage is the same as the '07, so bottom line? If you want VERY COMFY seats, the 2013 Ram is for you. If, another make is as comfortable, buy it.

Enen

Reaction score
This market segment is so competitive. You really can't go wrong with any of the big 3.

GM has a redesigned half ton on the market. It is one of the nicest vehicles I've driven.

My friends with Ford's love them and for good reason.

Ram is rolling out some really nice features in their new trucks. Air ride suspension, 8 speed transmissions.

Toyota would be a top contender if I were looking for a half ton.

Bottom line, have fun shopping, there are some great choices out there.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2012 F150, so far I'm happy.

englebright 002.jpg

copterzach

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tundra Super Crew. Pulls my 5500 lbs gooseneck/helicopter trailer no problem. I had to add trailer brakes to my trailer and the controller in my truck.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377282085.685721.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377282212.375746.jpg

Sent from my iPad
Aggie Class of '97

DrHW

Reaction score
A HUGE thank you to all that responded. It sounds like the Big 3 have it going on. I have had good lock with the F150's but this last 5.4 Triton was a huge disappointment with the Plug and Cam Phaser, Latch Adjuster, Chain complications and a overall bad engine that has been discontinued.

My brother bought the F150 with Ecoboost and is very happy. That RAM 1500 coming out in the Fall looks intriguing and has towing capacity of 9200 lbs. in a Light Duty Truck with a Diesel.

More feedback is cool.

Last edited:

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
I just spent 10mins looking at new/used Ford F-150s on autotrader, and none of them say Eco Boost as an option? Idk if the 2012s have this? But even the brand new 2013s didn't say that as an option so idk if you have to special order one? Hopefully others will chime in here.:thumbsup

PR- The Eco-Boost engine option came out in the 2011 model year F150, it's a stand-alone option on most models. The Eco-Boost is a twin turbo, direct fuel injection V6 engine with 365HP, and 420 ft. lbs. of torque. The torque curve on this engine is what separates it from the competition. Peak torque is at 2,500 rpms (low for a gasser), and 90% of peak torque available from 1700-5000 rpms! The thing pulls and pulls. Fuel economy varies by driving habits, the feedback I get is anywhere from 15mpg-22 mpg. A Crew Cab 4x2 with 3.55 gears will tow up to 9,800 lbs., and we offer a Max Tow Package with 3.73 gears( and other upgrades) that will take that tow capacity up to 11,300 lbs.

OP- If you have any questions, please feel free to PM, or give me a call.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I would get an ecoboost F150, but thats just my personal preference. Haven't driven the others to really comment.

Just be aware of the grossly over inflated tow ratings these trucks have. Yes they might be able to tow that much, but it won't be pretty. After towing the 7000lb boat and trailer with a 7.3 F250 with 800 ft lbs of torque, I wouldn't even want to tow it with the ecoboost, much less 11k+ lbs. So if you're looking at towing 7000lbs+ get a full size diesel.

DrHW

Reaction score
We picked up our new Dodge Ram Big Horn this evening. It's fully loaded. Could not talk the Wife into a Laramie as she "just wants a good truck." Can you say, "Hemi." :D

All manufactures have issues and I get that but the last stint with the F150 was less than stellar. My company car has EcoBoost and I do not believe that it will ever see 100,000 miles. :rolleyes