WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Unplug trailer lights when launching boat?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Do you unplug your trailer light before putting the boat in the water?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Back in the olden days when the tail lights were wide open.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
When I had old school bulbs and no trailer brakes, Now if I unplug I lock my brakes.

Singleton

Reaction score
Leave plugged in, but turn off the lights.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Nope. Leave them plugged in, all the lenses are sealed.

If backing down a launch ramp, unplugging the lights and thus the reverse solenoid won't have any effect anyway if you have surge brakes which most boats do.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Plugged in w/ running lights turned off.

Mach80

Reaction score
Nope. I have had eight different boats and a few jetskis. Never had an issue.

Chopperman

Reaction score
Force of habit, I always unplug mine. Old school! Lol!! I've even got all brand new sealed, bitchin led's. I still unplug em though.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
Nope. Leave them plugged in, all the lenses are sealed.

If backing down a launch ramp, unplugging the lights and thus the reverse solenoid won't have any effect anyway if you have surge brakes which most boats do.

That's right!

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I have small boats, so,,,

Bulbs get unplugged, but led's don't. pretty sure I've swapped all my lights to led though,,, :D

240Hallett

Reaction score
I unplug both ends and through the cord in my truck so it doesn't get stolen...again.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I Wouldn't doubt it if some LEOs, BLM or FISH and GAME, would say it was probable cause to pull you over on the ramp on a DUI task force weekend....

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Why? Even before leds I've never done it once in 40 years of boating, fresh and salt water.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I was taught to unplug the lights before launching. All my dad's boats had cracked taillight covers. My dad being too cheap to replace them would actually drill holes in them so water would drain out. It's a habit that stuck. Boat only 600 yards from my mobile to launch ramp anyways.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
I was taught to unplug the lights before launching. All my dad's boats had cracked taillight covers. My dad being too cheap to replace them would actually drill holes in them so water would drain out. It's a habit that stuck. Boat only 600 yards from my mobile to launch ramp anyways.

We did the same thing on our old school trailer. Drilled holes in the lights so they would drain.
My newer trailer has all sealed lights, doesn't seem to make a difference if they're plugged in or not. Most of the time I unplug them just because.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Nope ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455984094.945549.jpg

TexasJet

Reaction score
I unplug mine. Don't know why really. Electricity and water makes me uncomfortable. I wonder if a trailer light short could effect the electronics in the tow vehicle?

Fuzzbutt

Reaction score
I always unplugged them on my old trailer cause hot open bulbs didn't last too long but with my newer trailer after I rigged all but the center clearance lights in new LED fixtures I only unplug them when I drop the trailer off in my back yard. Oddly I haven't had one single issue with the trio of Incandescent clearance lights. Having the lights on makes night loading easier. None of the ramps around here have lit lots or docks.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
After 46 years of splashing boats I've never unplugged the lights. 12 volts doesn't have the electrons to move enough current through the water to cause a short and blow a fuse. Old school bulbs were made out of a glass that could go from hot to ice cold water without breaking. Like anything, I'm sure there were some that broke, mine never did. Most LED lights are sealed. There are more problems caused by people not wiring their trailers correctly then leaving the trailer plugged in. Hell I live in the North West, pull your boat home when it is raining 1" per hour and see how wet everything gets. It's like having your trailer and boat sit under water for two hours. :grumble:

Sonic45SS

Reaction score
Leave everything plugged in since LED & waterproof lights came out. Plus it allows for the trailer brakes to work when backing. With the Sport Chassis the truck has enough braking power to stop the entire rig, but its always good to extra electric braking power of the trailer.

Additionally with all the lighting on my trailer, it allows for easy loading at night at a dark ramp.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It's a question asked on something I took for the dmv or insurance or something. The correct answer is unplug them. I never do. My right brake LEDs are also out. Hmmmmmm

Singleton

Reaction score
It's a question asked on something I took for the dmv or insurance or something. The correct answer is unplug them. I never do. My right brake LEDs are also out. Hmmmmmm

Right light out = fuse in truck is out or our connector (light to trailer wire) has a short. I just had all my trailer light connections switched to waterproof connectors. From the trailer factory they are not water tight.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Back in the olden days when the tail lights were wide open.

I remember well as a Kid. The trailer lights were always a P.I.T.A. dad finally made a removable light bar for all the fishing boats. The old lights back in the 70's and 80's were terrible. All the new LED kits ROCK!