WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

TV service

DWRAT

Reaction score
What do you all use for TV service at home?
Dish Network is getting out of hand on my bill.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I use a Superbox, you can buy them on Amazon. It took a little getting used to, but we've been using it for almost 3 years now.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
What do you all use for TV service at home?
Dish Network is getting out of hand on my bill.
Direct tv, Dish, comcast, just had rate increases again. Streaming apps are increasing also but they don’t have the infrastructure required by traditional services so certainly cheaper. If you call and “bitch” you will get a discount. If you have an antenna for locals, Sling tv is good. You tube tv has many local channels available. None of the streaming platforms are as convenient and easy as Dish To use, find, and select programs.

BigMike

Reaction score
What appears to be one pesky obstacle to me dumping Directv is the availability of live local programming ---- AND having the ability to Fast Forward through all advertising and the ease of pre-programed recording that I currently enjoy. 🤔
YouTubeTV has live local programming and unlimited DVR. It works very similarly to Directv. I dumped Directv a couple years ago and I have had zero issues.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
What appears to be one pesky obstacle to me dumping Directv is the availability of live local programming ---- AND having the ability to Fast Forward through all advertising and the ease of pre-programed recording that I currently enjoy. 🤔

There’s apps to stream locally. I use the Spectrum app to view all the local channels but there are dozens of options if you ever choose to move in the streaming direction.

Taboma

Reaction score
YouTubeTV has live local programming and unlimited DVR. It works very similarly to Directv. I dumped Directv a couple years ago and I have had zero issues.
Wow, didn't know that, interesting and certainly would check several boxes 👍

Taboma

Reaction score
There’s apps to stream locally. I use the Spectrum app to view all the local channels but there are dozens of options if you ever choose to move in the streaming direction.
Certainly considering it, will have to pay for an upgrade on my current slow-ass DSL if I'm going to go fully streaming. OTA broadcast is out due to a pesky mountain behind me. When I pencil out Starlink, inlcuding a couple of streaming options with live local, I'm gaining much faster internet, way more than I need really, but $$$ wise, it's a trade off.
The main thing is, I need programing and recordability of local channels, so not sure how many providers offer that option.

Taboma

Reaction score
Have directv but if they don't resolve the espn issue I am done. Trying fubo so I can get football. I'll give it another week or so to see
It's already ended either Friday or Saturday --- you could have gotten Football yesterday because I had them back Saturday night.

BigMike

Reaction score
Wow, didn't know that, interesting and certainly would check several boxes 👍
I believe YouTubeTV has a 1 week free trial. Doesn’t hurt to give it a try while you still have DirecTV. It does take a little bit of getting used to though. To add something to the DVR, you need to add it to your “library”. The easiest way that I have found is to search for the shows name, then add it to the library that way. Also, I set up a profile for my wife so all of her hallmark movies and desperate housewives shows don’t show up in my library lol

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
YT TV is also shareable. Supposed to be same house but our kid 10 or so miles away uses mine.
Also can be used on your phone through the app or anywhere you log into your account.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Sling.. $50.00/month... I'll never go back to dish again. Stopped that madness years ago

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We stepped up to Hulu recently, mainly just to have commercial free Alone.

Haven't had live TV in ages. We Still don't watch it! 😜

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Certainly considering it, will have to pay for an upgrade on my current slow-ass DSL if I'm going to go fully streaming. OTA broadcast is out due to a pesky mountain behind me. When I pencil out Starlink, inlcuding a couple of streaming options with live local, I'm gaining much faster internet, way more than I need really, but $$$ wise, it's a trade off.
The main thing is, I need programing and recordability of local channels, so not sure how many providers offer that option.

You definitely have a few challenges versus most of us but it is improving everyday.

The streaming platform is moving at a record pace and evolving rapidly.

It’s cumbersome but doing a deep dive into potentially better options may result in a better platform than your current provider. Worse case is your research arrives you back at your current provider and your armed with what makes the most sense considering your overall situation.

I ditched DTV as soon as I started my search but I don’t have most of the challenges you do. DTV is a decent platform but I wanted to pick and choose what I paid for. I don’t need the LifeTime channel for instance 😂

CLCookie

Reaction score
I am lazy, and love to surf channels. Still with DTV after 25 years or so. I watch a lot of Sports. Tried to ditch DTV and go to Youtube TV, I struggled big time.

Now that DTV can be streamed as well, my kids are using it at their homes as well, so multi homes are using it now. We also share Hulu, Prime, Netflix, and Peacock.

Taboma

Reaction score
You definitely have a few challenges versus most of us but it is improving everyday.

The streaming platform is moving at a record pace and evolving rapidly.

It’s cumbersome but doing a deep dive into potentially better options may result in a better platform than your current provider. Worse case is your research arrives you back at your current provider and your armed with what makes the most sense considering your overall situation.

I ditched DTV as soon as I started my search but I don’t have most of the challenges you do. DTV is a decent platform but I wanted to pick and choose what I paid for. I don’t need the LifeTime channel for instance 😂
I don't need about 75% of the channels Youtube bundles with the "Locals" either 🤷‍♂️ One aspect that's kept me with Directv since it's inception ---- prior to that I had the full on mondo- Sat dish in the backyard and a 30' tower with rotator on my roof (Wife said NO that's no longer an option 😁)---- is I have a rather unique "Grandfathered" plan with a great rate that they continue to honor that isn't available to the public. My incentive for staying is taking advantage of it, should that ever expire, I'll move on.

As you stated, Streaming is becoming a more attractive option, and I must say that when watching shows on Netflix I find the video and audio qualities better than what I'm usually getting on Directv.

Regardless of pricing, I need to make sure it's "Wife" friendly so it's simple to turn on and easy to navigate, and I need to empathize, EASY.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
My wife has Peacock for a certain show she wants to watch, and I can also watch Moto Cross, but the Fast forward rewind and other options on streaming leave a lot to be desired, so I never watch them and just wait a day or two to watch on Direct.

j21black

Reaction score
Shack TV - Guide sucks, cant record, but it's cheap and I can watch anything

boatpi

Reaction score
T Mobile box at $50 a month, Hulu at $82. If you have a newer LG hdtv, they have great shows in their channel all free.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Directv was great before ATT fubared them. They were a leader in pushing the picture quality through supporting HD more than other providers and they were close to mainstreaming 4K until ATT killed further development.

I was enjoying using the HD channels, and looking forward to making use of a 4K tv.

Now if I want to watch 4K content I have to stream it. So from that standpoint, streaming is definitely taking the lead. However you need a good internet service for that (even Starlink works). YouTube TV and Disney and AppleTV+ are some of the streamers with 4K content.

However some streaming services don’t seem to care, for example Prime most of their stuff isn’t 4k. Nor do they broadcast any sports in 4K.

If I dump DTV it’s going to be for YouTube TV, and now that it appears they have some DVR functionality I will explore that and see if it’s time to kill DTV. The only thing that would stop me is my cable internet isn’t super reliable (it’s Charter), so if I lose that I lose TV. I’ve had internet outages and been able to watch DTV.

77charger

Reaction score
I go back and forth Phx to oc and stay at my moms for work. I found it easy to get a roku I can get some free channels and I also have the sling app which happens to have the few channels I watch for 40 a month.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Directv was great before ATT fubared them. They were a leader in pushing the picture quality through supporting HD more than other providers and they were close to mainstreaming 4K until ATT killed further development.

I was enjoying using the HD channels, and looking forward to making use of a 4K tv.

Now if I want to watch 4K content I have to stream it. So from that standpoint, streaming is definitely taking the lead. However you need a good internet service for that (even Starlink works). YouTube TV and Disney and AppleTV+ are some of the streamers with 4K content.

However some streaming services don’t seem to care, for example Prime most of their stuff isn’t 4k. Nor do they broadcast any sports in 4K.

If I dump DTV it’s going to be for YouTube TV, and now that it appears they have some DVR functionality I will explore that and see if it’s time to kill DTV. The only thing that would stop me is my cable internet isn’t super reliable (it’s Charter), so if I lose that I lose TV. I’ve had internet outages and been able to watch DTV.

Just so everyone knows...

There is an upcharge for 4k on YouTube. Netflix does the same thing. Fuckers. 🤬

If you're looking for easy...

The Apple TV dongle is the slickest interface I've Ever seen! Talk about upcharges though, they upcharge for EVERYTHING!!! 🤣

Screenshot_20240916_155114_Google.jpg

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Youtubetv. I like that I can hide the channels we never watch. Makes the guide much smaller to scroll through. I also record just about anything I want to watch and FF through the idiot commercials.

spark2678

Reaction score
DTV Stream- $120/mo. I watch the Padres so I pay the extra for DTV. I used to have Hulu with LIVE TV which was $70/mo.
Hulu Movies
Netflix
Apple TV

outboard_256

Reaction score
I cut the cord like 8 years ago. I am signed up for 4 different streaming services and just rotate shows/movies between them. If I want to watch something specific that isn't on the streaming service I own then I will rent it from amazon. Took some getting used to as I had change the whole way I watch TV. Instead of waiting each week for a new episode of my tv shows to come on or just randomly channel surf I now pick a show or movie and watch it from beginning to end. Usually a season at a time or if the series has already ended I will watch all of them. Probably took me a year to get used to it. In the beginning I would just be scrolling and scrolling looking at all the choices and never choosing something. It's just so many choices it can be over whelming if you don't have a plan. Never had that problem with cable or direct tv. I have a tivo box and indoor antenna for local channels but I don't really use those often.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Why did I start streaming a few years ago? Because they offered no commercials or ads.....

Fuckers are now running commercials or ads.. But of course you can upgrade for $$$ to go ad free...... Fuckers

Remember when Radio and TV was free??????

outboard_256

Reaction score
Why did I start streaming a few years ago? Because they offered no commercials or ads.....

Fuckers are now running commercials or ads.. But of course you can upgrade for $$$ to go ad free...... Fuckers

Those same 3-4 stations are still free on TV and Radio, you just got to pay if you want more.

Smitty7

Reaction score

It's only free until they learn how to get their hands in your pocket.