WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck into crowd at Glamis drags

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Just saw this on FB.

Toyota lost control and went into crowd.

3 people dead and a total of 6 airlifted out..........

Thoughts and prayers to all involved. Praying hard that it's not anyone we know.......lots of peeps there right now....[emoji26][emoji26]
Screenshot_20181123-174733.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
We left Wednesday...just checked on my brother who is still there and he’s good. Sounds like there was another accident near Olds that had some serious injuries...

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That sucks.. :(. Prayers to all involved.

Socalx09

Reaction score
How often does this happen? Never been in any sand type of vehicle or event

Prayers to all involved :/ so sad to watch

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Into the crowd like that very very rarely usually solo crashes

riverroyal

Reaction score
I will say it.....it was a matter of time.
Condolences to the families.

Avoidable tragedy

4Waters

Reaction score
Yep, between that and the crowds at olds, i checked out of that place years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
The last time I was at Glamis was 42 years ago this weekend, I was a little to young to remember the good old days, I was born Sept 1976 I was 12 weeks old, I grew up at Pismo and I do remember when it was great.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Yep, between that and the crowds at olds, i checked out of that place years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yes sir. Stopped going there in 2001 myself. Went there for twenty years prior to that. Once they started charging to camp and flooded the place with Johnny law I checked out. Too many assclowns have ruined Glamis.

Prayers to all involved.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

It’s been a long time if I remember correctly.
17 - 20 years maybe longer.
Amazing it doesn’t happen more often.

Nice now where we’re camped here in the Desert. 1/2 mile to the next RV. No drama. High speed trails to amazing points of interest.

Don’t miss Holidays in Glamis at all. Last Thanksgiving was our last there.
The BLM will get sued like in Lucern Valley and they’ll start fucking with visitors once again.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Absolutely horrible what happened. You can tell from how the Tacoma was built and how,it was driven that assist had NO business diving fast in whooped out sand like that.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
Wrong setup for that application.
Should of been on the brakes after the first veer to the left and off the gas.
Hope those injured heal and for those that passed - RIP. Thoughts with family and friends.

Allwaysbroken

Reaction score
I didn’t see the accident, but pulled up when the helicopter landed.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just talked to my buddy thats there and he said the dude did that a few times right down the crowd line. He better get some silver braclets.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad news. My thoughts and prayers to all involved.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Sad to see:( Thoughts and prayers to those involved.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Same thing destroyed MDR so just a matter of time they won’t allow the drags at all. The drags used to be the best part of big weekends but people are so insanely stupid as a whole.
Spectators close in on the track with hope to see more making more dangerous and then people with their stock shit going down the drags...... no one wants to see your stupid stock FJ do 17 mph and nearly cause an accident they go to see the cool fast stuff. Oh well i hate that place as a whole myself.

Last edited:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Loved going to Glamis. My wife and I decided that last year was our last. Strong economy, easy for a lot of unskilled people to get bad ass toys and no brains to use them. A weekend like this there are to many people in a small area. Always love to see nice equipment but these guys with 1400+ hp hauling ass along gecko are also going to kill someone. For any that still plan to go to glamis and hang out at the drags do your family a favor and get there early enough to be at the starting line or don’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Loved going to Glamis. My wife and I decided that last year was our last.

“””””Strong economy, easy for a lot of unskilled people to get bad ass toys and no brains to use them.”””””

A weekend like this there are to many people in a small area. Always love to see nice equipment but these guys with 1400+ hp hauling ass along gecko are also going to kill someone. For any that still plan to go to glamis and hang out at the drags do your family a favor and get there early enough to be at the starting line or don’t go.

2,000$ down and 199$ a month you too can be Robby Gordon!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Loved going to Glamis. My wife and I decided that last year was our last. Strong economy, easy for a lot of unskilled people to get bad ass toys and no brains to use them. A weekend like this there are to many people in a small area. Always love to see nice equipment but these guys with 1400+ hp hauling ass along gecko are also going to kill someone. For any that still plan to go to glamis and hang out at the drags do your family a favor and get there early enough to be at the starting line or don’t go.

We always parked quite a bit back and watched from the bed of the truck. With the cab facing thebdrags. Always hoped that if shit went wrong give ourselves the best chance for survival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
2,000$ down and 199$ a month you too can be Robby Gordon!

I saw the same trend years ago when they made PWCs affordable to the masses. People that had never spent a day in their life at the river could go and finance two shiny new watercraft and a trailer and off they went! They knew nothing about river safety/etiquette....and they were the ones causing so many accidents.

Same trend at Glamis and other desert areas with SxS and high travel cars. If you got the dough you’re good to go! Never mind you’ve never driven an off-road vehicle, dirtbike, quad. These assholes come flying around corners of trails/dunes not even thinking a kid on a dirtbike might be coming the opposite way. It’s all about them.

I grew up riding three wheelers and being around VW rails at Glamis. Things were so much easier back then. People knew how to work on their own shit and we’re more aware of pushing the limits. Now it’s a free for all out there with inner city fools that just want to showboat. :rolleyes:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We always parked quite a bit back and watched from the bed of the truck. With the cab facing thebdrags. Always hoped that if shit went wrong give ourselves the best chance for survival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with that, leaving the front of the truck as a line of defense. Some of the people at the drags are as dumb as the people lining the course at the Baja 1000. We all want the best view but I’ve seen some of the best drivers in glamis hit something wrong at the drags and have to make that decision to lift or stab and pray!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I saw the same trend years ago when they made PWCs affordable to the masses. People that had never spent a day in their life at the river could go and finance two shiny new watercraft and a trailer and off they went! They knew nothing about river safety/etiquette....and they were the ones causing so many accidents.

Same trend at Glamis and other desert areas with SxS and high travel cars. If you got the dough you’re good to go! Never mind you’ve never driven an off-road vehicle, dirtbike, quad. These assholes come flying around corners of trails/dunes not even thinking a kid on a dirtbike might be coming the opposite way. It’s all about them.

I grew up riding three wheelers and being around VW rails at Glamis. Things were so much easier back then. People knew how to work on their own shit and we’re more aware of pushing the limits. Now it’s a free for all out there with inner city fools that just want to showboat. :rolleyes:
Yea we were out in the desert yesterday in my buggy and my buddy asked after i let another rzr go around me why i kept letting them pass me. Simple answer was I’d rather slow out of their dust than have them idiots rear end me. I’m literally over the desert till the next crash so i can go out and relax again.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Some of those pwc can run 70+. Everyone’s niece and nephew want to run them. First thing they do is let off the gas once there is a possible collision leaving them with no steering. This past year I saw more idiots towing there kids on there pwc on the river by pirate with no spotter. On a holiday weekend to add to it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
DUMONT drags we park some distance away.

Glamis tragedy The driver will get 15 years. No doubt faded and drunk.
We’d park some distance back in the second row or start a second row.

PaPaG

Reaction score
We used to go to Glamis every chance we had until the crowds became more like idiots than level headed....Been about 30 years now and we miss all the fun and riding in the dunes but NO desire to ever go there during any big weekend or holiday.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Sad! $5 in your pocket and a part-time job, they will finance a UTV to any ass fuck in the world. So turned off from going to Glamis on the weekends due to the crowds, thug life mentality and ghost campers saving space its a shame to see another fun place ruined.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ghost campers are out of control in Glamis.
BLM ignores it and the land barons taping off and coneing huge sections.
95% of the people on the dunes are pretty good. That residual 5% is the problem.

When the friends of DUMONT did a rig count with the BLM it was estimated maybe 800 to 1100 rigs.
It was 10 times that.

Far more people out there having fun than people realize. Serious experiences are very rare.

End of January we’ll do a RDP Glamis trip on a quiet weekend. Other than broken suspensions and axels unlikely anyone will get hurt.