WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer with lost title, No VIN. What to do?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This is for the trailer on my Brummett. The trailer did have a CA plate on it, but it's long expired. Mid 80's built, Carson said he thinks they registered them as home built back then and they just affixed a foil sticker to the trailer. That's long gone, guy i bought the boat from had all the boat paperwork but couldn't find the trailer stuff. Obviously the trailer is legit as it was built by Carson and all those boats had the same trailer & they are very unique, I bought the boat from the original owner is a good friend of both my family's and Carson.

CA won't do anything without the VIN it seems like. Is there any way to have someone look up the VIN based on the expired plate #? maybe then i could "find" the VIN on the trailer?

The boat/trailer is at the glass shop in Havasu right now so the other option is to just re-register as a home built in AZ? How strict are they on this stuff? The trailer has faded paint etc, so it doesn't look new. I want to cut and re-fit some of the tubing on the trailer, patch up some of the rust etc, so i don't want to put fresh paint on it to make it look new only to get it back to my shop and cut it all back apart to have it repainted again.

Any inmates have any advice on the best/easiest way to go about this

Brian

Reaction score
I had a similar situation and was able to re register it as a special construction. They applied foil sticker as the vin and off we went. I did have to tow the trailer down to CA DMV for someone to "inspect" the trailer and apply the sticker. I would assume the procedure would be similar in AZ.

Dettom

Reaction score
Register in Az. They will have an ADOT guy do a VIN verification right there and assign you a VIN. You'll have to post a bond for the title in case someone ever reported it stolen but it's only about seventy bucks. AZ very easy to work with compared to California. This how I did my motorcycle trailer a few years ago.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Just put this on it...Carte Blanche:p
rdsuxplate.jpg
In all honesty, getting a new VIN is pretty easy with either Ca or Az. California may actually be less expensive to register it with.

FlatNv

Reaction score
Shane
Just did this on my biesemeyer trailer, had trailer for 20+ years never had any paper work.

Went down to DMV inspection station in N.W side of valley, they went over trailer with a creeper and light looking for vin, didn't have one, brought out there engraver, stenciled a vin, declared it a special built, pretty easy except you have to go into main building to get plates, took the wife 4 fkn hrs to get plates.:thumbsdown

Arizona sounds like the better deal.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
This is for the trailer on my Brummett. The trailer did have a CA plate on it, but it's long expired. Mid 80's built, Carson said he thinks they registered them as home built back then and they just affixed a foil sticker to the trailer. That's long gone, guy i bought the boat from had all the boat paperwork but couldn't find the trailer stuff. Obviously the trailer is legit as it was built by Carson and all those boats had the same trailer & they are very unique, I bought the boat from the original owner is a good friend of both my family's and Carson.

CA won't do anything without the VIN it seems like. Is there any way to have someone look up the VIN based on the expired plate #? maybe then i could "find" the VIN on the trailer?

The boat/trailer is at the glass shop in Havasu right now so the other option is to just re-register as a home built in AZ? How strict are they on this stuff? The trailer has faded paint etc, so it doesn't look new. I want to cut and re-fit some of the tubing on the trailer, patch up some of the rust etc, so i don't want to put fresh paint on it to make it look new only to get it back to my shop and cut it all back apart to have it repainted again.

Years ago when I bought my Schiada I had to get a number from CA DMV for the trailer. Was basically a non issue then, obviously not looking "new", but all they looked at were lights I think. I would guess AZ might be even easier, but don't know. You don't happen to be a member of AAA, do you?

Why not wait until you do the trailer and then it will be looking new?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Years ago when I bought my Schiada I had to get a number from CA DMV for the trailer. Was basically a non issue then, obviously not looking "new", but all they looked at were lights I think. I would guess AZ might be even easier, but don't know. You don't happen to be a member of AAA, do you?

Why not wait until you do the trailer and then it will be looking new?

Because i have to tow the thing all the way back to Boulder City first, and last time AZDOT banged us with a huge ticket for no registration on the trailer transporting it from here to the glass shop right after i bought it.

And yes i am a AAA member, full platinum.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
In Nevada Home builts have to have Brakes on every axle, this trailer doesn't. Sounds like AZ may be the way to go. Has anyone done this in Havasu?

RJ65

Reaction score
I'm going thru this right now with a boat I bought recently.

530RL

Reaction score
Racey,

PM me. I know low people in high places. :D

FlatNv

Reaction score
no brakes on mine, or my buddies 21' trailer we built . think there's a weight limit, we declared 1000# they did hit me with needing the 3-light bar in middle.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Register in Az. They will have an ADOT guy do a VIN verification right there and assign you a VIN. You'll have to post a bond for the title in case someone ever reported it stolen but it's only about seventy bucks. AZ very easy to work with compared to California. This how I did my motorcycle trailer a few years ago.

I just had a fiasco with ADOT about my boat trailer (that had current CA reg). They wanted a signed affidavit from the previous owner before I could register it in AZ. The vin on the trailer is bleached out and I had the CA signed title, but they said no VIN verification was needed, just the affidavit. I ended up just re registering it in CA.

That said I would try Havasu ADOT, it is probably your best bet.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Were running into this a little with the hallett trailer that we want to register in AZ.

The guy I bought it from signed a transfer of title sheet I printed out but didn't have a title since California no longer issues pink slips without paying the $15 fee.

AZ said they needed a title and the guy I bought the boat from is non responsive.

Any suggestions how I get a boat registered in CA into my name in AZ without a title?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Why can't you just keep the trailer registered in CA? If you really wanted the AZ title for the trailer, register it in CA, pay extra for the title, then take the trailer to AZ with the title that has your name on it and register it there.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Why can't you just keep the trailer registered in CA? If you really wanted the AZ title for the trailer, register it in CA, pay extra for the title, then take the trailer to AZ with the title that has your name on it and register it there.

Seems like alot of hoops for a boat that lives and is used in AZ but might be my only option.:(

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

CA won't do anything because i don't have the title.

Can't file for a lost title without the VIN and no VIN on the trailer. So it's all kinda limbo. The guy i bought it from has searched high and low but can't find any of the trailer paperwork. No issues with the boat, he found that title.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
In Nevada Home builts have to have Brakes on every axle, this trailer doesn't. Sounds like AZ may be the way to go. Has anyone done this in Havasu?

The people in the Parker office are friendly, and very seldom any wait. You can actually check ADOT online and see what the wait time is at the various offices.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
CA won't do anything because i don't have the title.

Can't file for a lost title without the VIN and no VIN on the trailer. So it's all kinda limbo. The guy i bought it from has searched high and low but can't find any of the trailer paperwork. No issues with the boat, he found that title.

maybe see if he can find old insurance paperwork. Perhaps the agent still has the trailer vin on file?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Shane I am surprised no one has yet to give you the simple answer to this.

As the boat and trailer are in Havasu just swing by OCM. The can issue a clear title on anything:D

Finally some advice you can.....

PJbcy9f.gif

....take to the bank

:D:D:D:D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Seems like alot of hoops for a boat that lives and is used in AZ but might be my only option.:(

Well if you have AAA you can do it there. You should be in and out in 10 mins if there is not many people there. You could always leave it registered in CA and be done.

Since you then own the trailer, I imagine your time in the ADOT office will be shorter.

Flomaster

Reaction score
Racey,

PM me. I know low people in high places. :D
Can you please contact me? I need help with my trailer Nita one of two toy haulers I own that I bought both from the same owner. The one has the vin and is all set, the other one has none I can find, and the plates and bill of sale were lost during a move. I need the trailer without the markings registered and plated. Please contact me. thank you

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Stamp a VIN into the trailer frame by the tongue, fill out a CA DMV bill of sale form using that VIN...put the sale price at under $1500, have a buddy sign it (different handwriting)...and take it down to the DMV.

boatpi

Reaction score
Aaa Will not do it but if you take it to the California DMV given the story though have you fill out a statement of facts and an application for a new title they will look at it and issue a new Vin and license plate because of the age and the value it's not very difficult no bond is required .

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I've gone to the CHP station in Ventura and they have issued me a new VIN and registration.
They do a mini investigation for a few minutes,, then good to go.
It's where the DMV sent me.

https://m.chp.ca.gov/office.aspx?id=765
This!
Been down this road with a quad, easy.

If not send me a pm, I know some folks that know some folks that heard a story from some folks. I can tell it to ya. :D

fmo24

Reaction score
Not sure if it still applies but towing a trailer registered in one state behind a vehicle registered in another state will get you stopped. Our boat trailer was Az and my truck and drivers license were Ca. Hwy patrol cited me and I had to reregister the trailer in Ca

82daytona

Reaction score
Not sure if it still applies but towing a trailer registered in one state behind a vehicle registered in another state will get you stopped. Our boat trailer was Az and my truck and drivers license were Ca. Hwy patrol cited me and I had to reregister the trailer in Ca
That’s happened to me a few times [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Because i have to tow the thing all the way back to Boulder City first, and last time AZDOT banged us with a huge ticket for no registration on the trailer transporting it from here to the glass shop right after i bought it.

And yes i am a AAA member, full platinum.

I think the dmv will issue you a one time temp plate so you can get it back to Nevada. In the past I’ve seen it don on cars. Not sure if they require a vin though for that process

KevinR

Reaction score

Shane, that’s what dad and I did with the 32 trailer. We registered it there in LHC at the DMV. Give him a call if you have any questions. It was simple.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I recently went to the DMV with a very past due car trailer which did not have permanent plates. The DMV employee asked me if the trailer had a VIN or if the VIN had possibly, he hinted it possibly, been removed. He then told me to remove the plate, take the trailer to CHP for an inspection, have a new vin issued, and register the trailer as home built with permanent plates. Took me about 4 hours but now I have permanent trailer plates, registered as a 2018 custom, and cheaper registration for life.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Trailer is still sitting inside my shop, i'm too busy to screw with it now. But after the boat came back from gelcoat i started looking at the trailer, it's got a lot of rust and by the time i plasma cut all the bad sections out and re-fit them, strip and paint, etc, i think i am just going to build a new trailer from scratch and register home built. This trailer is also too low, the turn fin will snag one of the axles if you don't have the boat fully floating, so i am going to address that as well.

Plus i gotta step this thing up beyond a Schiada, so i'm doing a quad axle with duals :D

guest hs

Reaction score

Always been curious what hull the Brummett came from?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Boat PI offered the story on the program if you decide to plate it in California. It isn't a big deal.
Many years ago when I was building the last sand rail from scratch I kept every receipt, (and I mean every one, for every damn nut and bolt) in a folder. When it was all done I wanted a VIN on it to get a title for it. Made appt. with DMV. The lady looked at my declaration and smirked, asked if I had "any receipts to validate my statement, preferably for the engine, trans, and major components" .
I had the folder down by my side. She couldn't see it.
By then it was 2-3 inches thick.
I put it on the counter, and said, "you are free to go through this and make copies of anything you'd like. I built the chassis, but the receipt for the tubing is in there somewhere".
She looked at the folder, and said, "no...I think we are ok..."
She sent me next door to the CHP station for a VIN tag. The Chippies shared a building with the DMV and I knew all of them.
When I pulled the trailer back behind the station LT and two street guys came out back and ogled the car, and were chuckling about the encounter at DMV.
Apparently the worker was famous for being a officious bitch, and her supervisor had come over and was laughing his ass off telling the station LT about, "the guy with the huge folder of receipts" who shut her down...
The LT wanted to hear it run. He was not a gearhead and had no idea....12.5 to 1 368 stroker Chevy, Dart Heads, Bodix intake, Braswell carb.
It was uncorked...:D
The two street Chippies grinned and backed up.
I fired it up.
LT's eyes got huge, I whacked the throttle a bit and he made the throat cutting sign...LOL
i am sure the people in the rooms at the Best Western Hotel next door heard it...

If you build a new trailer that is what I would do...create a package of receipts.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Are you going to leak pictures of the completed gel coat work?

RDPSHIPPING

Swags in the Bag
Reaction score
AZ MVD is going to make you have it Level II ($20) or III ($50) inspected his name is Officer Jim have to make appt comes out every Thursday at Havasu MVD check or cash 928-565-3670. And if they can’t come up with anything will resign a new VIN and you may have to get it bonded if you have no title.