WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toyo vs. BFG tires

BMABITY

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on popular tire choices today.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details

I like the look of both listed above and plan on purchasing in either a 35 or 37 here soon.

Those running either tire, what are your likes vs. dislikes?

I will spend most of the time on road with the occasional snow or desert trip, pavement pounder mostly.

j-bone

Reaction score
I've had 3 sets of 35" BFG A/T tires on my 4X4 Excursion and always had a problem with balancing. They would have problems at anything above 75. Switched to Nitto and they perfect. Plus they are cheaper. I'm never going back to BFG. I've never used Toyo but I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
I have had both. I prefer the bfg. The toyo's cupped and we're noisy as hell once they wore down. I have 30k on the bfg's and they still ride and drive nice, and no howling. 🖒😎

Reactions: Wmc

2Driver

Reaction score
KO 2's are the new design. I think a lot of people will chime in on their experience with the old design which IMO were great too.

A friend is running the BFG's 35 KO2s ( new design) on his Rubicon and is extremely impressed.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I've had 3 sets of 35" BFG A/T tires on my 4X4 Excursion and always had a problem with balancing. They would have problems at anything above 75. Switched to Nitto and they perfect. Plus they are cheaper. I'm never going back to BFG. I've never used Toyo but I've heard nothing but great things about them.

I had the same scenario on my Excursion with the BFG's, but always assumed it was partially due to the fact my rims were 16.5's, and that rim size was being phased out at the time. The BFG's were the only 35" tires made for 16.5" rim at the time.

On the other hand, My Raptor has 35" BFG's on 17's and they're great. Smooth and quiet. I dunno....:smackhead:headscratch:

Icky

Reaction score
I have the open country MTs been running them for years on all my trucks. But recently saw those RTs and am going to try them next time around. My biggest reason why, those RTs come with a 45k mileage warranty, and the MTs don't have any milage warranty, I'm lucky if I get 30k out of them.

getreal

Reaction score
I've used BFG All Terran Radials for the past 15 years. I always got at least 50k miles.
The last set I only got 34k miles. Did some research, United Technologies Corporation bought Goodrich in 2012.
Apparently they changed the compound.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm a Toyo guy....

Owned a ton of different styles from the ATII MT and the RT

All great tires with great tread wear

lebel409

Reaction score
I have the Toyos on my F-150. I didn't like the idea of import tires, but the BFGs kept getting bad reveiws.

The toyos are good riding handling...better than stock due to the stiffer sidewalls. 265/70R18 on stock wheels. A little beefier but no need for a lift (rubs a bit at the edges of steering and going over a bump). I've got about 35K on them no complaints...and it looks like I have another 20K to go.

:thumbup:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
If you haven't given General AT2's a good long look, you should. American made and a huge sponsor of off road motorsports. Im on my 4th set.

DLC

Reaction score
I have 35" x 17" bead locks wheels bfg MUDs on my jeep and they just flat out work great, awesome tire! 05 jeep rubicon. They get ran at 8 -10 psi all the time and take a beating!

I have had the toyo open country AT on my 2500 Chevy 35's on 20" rims they worked great loved em, quiet and ran smooth. I had a ball joint problem and they started to go, fixed the problem and got new tires not sure how many miles I had on em.

Replaced that set with the toyo RT, same size, and they are nice but more noise as they start to wear, think I have 12 to 15,000 miles on em. These seem to be a heavier tire, more off road. I've been doing more highway driving.

Next set I will do the open country AT again.

I have an oil change place that rotates and balances my tires with every oil change, that helps!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The KO2's are the new A/T's.

They are excellent, and have none of the balancing issues of the old worn out KO's.

I have sold several sets so far and not one complaint, as a matter of fact the ones who tow with them say they are the best towing tire they have tried.

Toyo's in my experience are decent, but not on the same level as the new KO2's.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I have the open country MTs been running them for years on all my trucks. But recently saw those RTs and am going to try them next time around. My biggest reason why, those RTs come with a 45k mileage warranty, and the MTs don't have any milage warranty, I'm lucky if I get 30k out of them.

I have ran the Toyo Open Country M/T's always and I will get 45-50K out of them. I just put on the R/T's last year right before Memorial Day. They are really nice. I am running them on my 2500 with 10inch lift. 37's on 20's.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I love the Toyo. BFG's just seem dated to me.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
I have the Toyo Open Country AT II on my 2500 with over 55k with plenty of tread left. Been very happy with the Toyo's.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Loved BFG's for years. Always dug the look.

The last 3 sets I had were garbage. Didn't last long even though they properly inflated and rotated.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Only off road tire I run is BFG. Never had a tire failure that I didn't deserve.

My Dodge had Toyo's on it when I bought it and had a sidewall let go. Lots of tread left, but not sure on mileage. Put BFG's on it and it was like night and day on the gravel road.

Our boat...

Reaction score
I get about 60000 out of 3713.5 r17 toyo open MTs all highway plenty of towing
The key is proper inflation and frequent rotations
Toyo mt tread is deeper and the compound although softer will last longer just because of tread depth great company with awesome support
Bfg has gone downhill recently from what they once were...

jones performance

Reaction score
i used to run bfg at's on everything, treid toyo at's once and was blown away at how much better they rode. been a toyo fan ever since. currently have toyo at2's on my dodge dually and am pleased with them thus far. wear has been reasonable with my heavy right foot and a tuned up diesel. have 38" toyo mt's on my project k5 blazer.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Pro Comp AT's? I had 2 set on trucks, always rode descent, good tread wear and didnt seem to be over the top expensive.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on popular tire choices today.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details

I like the look of both listed above and plan on purchasing in either a 35 or 37 here soon.

Those running either tire, what are your likes vs. dislikes?

I will spend most of the time on road with the occasional snow or desert trip, pavement pounder mostly.

Check out the cooper STT pros. I just got them and really like them.

ridebig

Reaction score
Huge Toyo fan here. I Ran BFG's for year's and switched to the Toyo because my last set of BFG KO's were terrible. I've had two set's of Toyo AT ll's and just put the 37" RT on my 2016 Dodge 2500. I like them even better then the ATll's.

Enen

Reaction score
I've always been a big BFG fan. Lifting the new truck and running the Toyo 37x12.5x20 RT's this round.

BMABITY

Reaction score
Huge Toyo fan here. I Ran BFG's for year's and switched to the Toyo because my last set of BFG KO's were terrible. I've had two set's of Toyo AT ll's and just put the 37" RT on my 2016 Dodge 2500. I like them even better then the ATll's.

Let's see a pic of the truck...

ridebig

Reaction score
IMG_2235.jpg

ridebig

Reaction score
Thank's. 37/12.50-20. I went with a Carli suspension and it's the best riding truck I've owned.

ridebig

Reaction score
Yes Method Standard wheel's. The Carli set-up is awesome but not cheap. I got tired of spending good money on lesser kit's only to have problem's somewhere down the line.

craiger88

Reaction score
I will echo a few people's comments about Toyo tires. I am on my 4th set of Open Country Mud Terrains after switching from BFG's. I typically get 50K miles out of a set. I rotate my tires with every oil change...makes a huge difference.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
There is no comparison. TOYO all day everyday. I've run all of them next best big tire is nitto.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I was the biggest proponent for BFG I ran them on everything including my Rhino. Then I started having issue after issue (balancing, I'll handling, accelerated wear). Per the recommendation of my lift shop I went with Toyo. It was night and day. The toyos are hands down a better tire of you're going to run larger tires with a heavy truck.

I will say you will be hard pressed to find a better tire than the Toyo open country MT.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I was the biggest proponent for BFG I ran them on everything including my Rhino. Then I started having issue after issue (balancing, I'll handling, accelerated wear). Per the recommendation of my lift shop I went with Toyo. It was night and day. The toyos are hands down a better tire of you're going to run larger tires with a heavy truck.

I will say you will be hard pressed to find a better tire than the Toyo open country MT.

Try out the new A/T KO2 when you get a chance, it's a redesign of the original KO and they are very good. Quiet and very solid feeling, a large improvement of the original A/T KO with none of the problems. Every customer that has switched loves them.

BMABITY

Reaction score

How long are the MT's lasting you?

Taboma

Reaction score
Try out the new A/T KO2 when you get a chance, it's a redesign of the original KO and they are very good. Quiet and very solid feeling, a large improvement of the original A/T KO with none of the problems. Every customer that has switched loves them.

Since you seem in the know with the A/T KO2s. On my 12' F150 Screw Plat 4x4 Eco-Boost, I'm considering dumping the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (OEM) and going with the A/T K02 in a 285/55/20 (+1).
Going from a P rated to a Load Range D LT, what pressure do the A/Ts need to be run at to maintain a decent ride ?

I've recently encountered a vibration problem once I get over 75, so hoping it's just a tire or balance issue.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Since you seem in the know with the A/T KO2s. On my 12' F150 Screw Plat 4x4 Eco-Boost, I'm considering dumping the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (OEM) and going with the A/T K02 in a 285/55/20 (+1).
Going from a P rated to a Load Range D LT, what pressure do the A/Ts need to be run at to maintain a decent ride ?

I've recently encountered a vibration problem once I get over 75, so hoping it's just a tire or balance issue.

I tell my customers to run them around 60 PSI to start, obviously if they tow to air them up accordingly to stiffen them up.

You can safely run them at freeway speeds in the 50's but 50PSI is the lowest I would advise.

If you have a vibration only at 75, 70 is smooth and 80 is smooth, it's definitely a balance issue.

Going to an LT is a much stiffer ride, but it also makes trucks handle much better, I don't get a lot of negative feedback usually when I advise customers to put LT's on, especially if they tow.:thumbsup

Modern suspensions are much better at absorbing pot holes and irregularities than the old I-Beam or Leaf Spring suspensions, so a switch to LT's is almost always a positive thing, just need to play with the pressures a bit to find your personal sweet spot.

69 1/2

Reaction score
I tell my customers to run them around 60 PSI to start, obviously if they tow to air them up accordingly to stiffen them up.

You can safely run them at freeway speeds in the 50's but 50PSI is the lowest I would advise.

If you have a vibration only at 75, 70 is smooth and 80 is smooth, it's definitely a balance issue.

Going to an LT is a much stiffer ride, but it also makes trucks handle much better, I don't get a lot of negative feedback usually when I advise customers to put LT's on, especially if they tow.:thumbsup

Modern suspensions are much better at absorbing pot holes and irregularities than the old I-Beam or Leaf Spring suspensions, so a switch to LT's is almost always a positive thing, just need to play with the pressures a bit to find your personal sweet spot.

Wow! I run D rated Nitos on a Silverado Crew and run them at 28psi. They have 23k miles on them and show very little wear. Why so much air?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Wow! I run D rated Nitos on a Silverado Crew and run them at 28psi. They have 23k miles on them and show very little wear. Why so much air?

If they are LT's and not P rated, with an 80 PSI max rating, you don't want to run ANY tire less than 60% of it's max load rated pressure, it makes the tire potentially overheat and puts a lot more stress on the sidewall.

60% of 80 PSI = 56.

Is it a 2500 crew or a 1500? Significant difference in tire load based on the GVW between the 2. Some trucks have great alignment from the factory, some eat them up, yours must be a Wednesday truck :thumbsup

jetboatmatt

Reaction score
I have the Brand New KO'2s on my 2500HD Diesel and they are a great riding tire! I have 7,000 miles on them so far. No complaints time will tell. I'm going to rotate every 7-10,000. Need to get on it!

robby dmax

Reaction score
So can anybody say if they have had the toyo m/t and now the r/t what the difference is between the two? As I am looking to replace my toyo m/t that I have had good luck with:)

236eaglexp

Reaction score
I had Toyo all terrains on my 2500HD, great tire. Then tried Falken wild peaks, and had two blowbouts. Was going to buy another set of Toyos but the tire shop had a set of KO2's in stock so I bought those instead. I wish I'd have just ordered the Toyos and waited. They wore much better, were better riding, and more balanced in my opinion. I don't care for the KO2'S at all.