WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tool time. learn something every day

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
A lot of tools work for cutting both metal or wood, guess i never thought about it, just change the blades no biggie, well while looking at Circular saws turns out they have different saws, WTF just marketing? nope, wood and metal saws turn at different speeds, different motors, even the safety shrouds are different, who knew? probably most people but i had no idea

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
The metal cutting saws seem the be 3x as much $.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
That is true, and there is a lot of stuff out there, another damn rabbit hole, bandsaws, circular saws, cutoff wheels, die grinders, etc,

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Not really, if you start comparing them to the price of woodworking tools from Powermatic and more industrial/factory type machines.

90% of the homeowner/hobbiest stuff out there is for wood. Even the cheap Home Depot stuff hold up to contractor use…

Metalwork puts a whole different hurt on on machines…while there are cheaper ones, they all kinda suck, because they don’t have the mass and rigidity they need, because then harbor freight shoppers couldn’t afford them.

Comparing industrial metalworking machinery to Home Depot wood working stuff is apples to oranges.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Have you seen the handheld circular saws that cut metal like its wood and you can touch it immediately after?

We use them to cut our steel poles and guy wire anchor rods that are close to 3/4" thick. Theyre Freaking awesome

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Home owner/ hobbiest stuff at Home Depot holds up well for my purposes. I have used industrial type drill presses ,table saws and such. They are way more solid and smooth.
You'll rarely see stuff rolling off my work bench that needs to be better than 1/32 or a 1/16.
The metal cutting milwaukee is fine for me yet a bit if a wallet strain considering how much I'll use it.
I've tried since retiring to get into an ROP or community college welding or machining class. I usually ended up on a wait list. I also didn't want to take a spot from a youngster that wants to learn so they can make a living.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Have you seen the handheld circular saws that cut metal like its wood and you can touch it immediately after?

We use them to cut our steel poles and guy wire anchor rods that are close to 3/4" thick. Theyre Freaking awesome

Crap. You just cost me money.
Any recommendations. Do you use battery or cord ?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
What you save on machine pricing, you spend on consumables...what you spend on the machine, you save on consumables.

I have a shitty harbor freight horizontal bandsaw (the green one...yes, that old) that goes through blades like nuts. I have a pretty stout vertical bandsaw that I made more stout by welding a bunch of scrap to it to strengthen the frame that I can feed whatever I want into as hard as I can and it doesn't flinch...it just cuts. I could have spent $1500 on a horizontal bandsaw instead of $150 and saved $4000 in blades over the last 20 years I bet.

Had a chinese plasma cutter....spent more in consumables than I did on the fucking machine in the first month. Bought a hypertherm for 5 times the price, still on the 2nd 5 pack of consumables I bought with the machine 10 years ago.

Pay now or pay later.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score

Yep picked up one today, way cleaner cuts than i got with angle grinder/ cutoff wheel, and no heat on metal, its crazy

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I bought a $20 hammer drill to anchor my safe.
It shit the bed on the last hole and the second concrete bit.
I called it a win and threw it all away.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Crap. You just cost me money.
Any recommendations. Do you use battery or cord ?
Ours was Hilti not cheap. Looks like @H20 Toie just got himself a Milwaukee.

However look at diablo blades, i swear they just released a blade that swaps onto your woodworking circular saw. Maybe a cheaper route.

I honestly didn't find a difference in the design it literally is like any other cordless circular saw. Probably in the rpms though.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Ours was Hilti not cheap. Looks like @H20 Toie just got himself a Milwaukee.

However look at diablo blades, i swear they just released a blade that swaps onto your woodworking circular saw. Maybe a cheaper route.

I honestly didn't find a difference in the design it literally is like any other cordless circular saw. Probably in the rpms though.
Yes i got the Milwaukee, and a spare Diablo blade ( it has an adapter so will fit in either saw)
differences that i noticed,
rpm is a lot different, metal goes slower,
Wood saw has a feature that blows the shavings away from in front of the blade
Wood also has vacuum attachment
Metal saw has a clear cover over front of the blade so that the metal shavings don't go flying out (you have way less metal chips than wood shavings)
Metal saw doesn't do angles
Yes you can get metal blades that fit in wood saws, ( you have to read what rpm the blades are rated for thou, some saws spin to fast)
The Milwaukee small saws metal has blade on right side, wood is on the left.
Home depot has the new Milwaukee wood saw right now for $99 so maybe the smart thing is just to have both :)

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
What surprised me was that after cutting you can just pickup the piece, and no burrs, such an improvement over the cutoff discs

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Well for a bonus the metal saw fit really nice in the milwaukee ammo can, good thing i had an empty one just sitting around, put a nutsert in the lid and storage for spare blade

tempImageDlHZ5j.png