WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Too many people on a watercraft is dangerous

Havazoo

Reaction score
Yesterday was a good example of too many people on a watercraft can be a disaster. The video shows a Pontoon rolling over trapping several occupants under water. As other boaters flew by two young men Riley Shiroke and Garrett Klasna jumped in and pulled several out from under the boat. These people were very lucky as these two brave young men are both experienced watermen from San Clemente Ca. Again had it not been for these two brave young men there would have been several drown. Moral to the story, donโ€™t over load you boat because youโ€™re not always going to be lucky as these people were thanks to Riley and Garrett ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช

Attachments

• IMG_0543.mov
    32.2 MB
Last edited:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Sadly, many people will scoff at the operator of the toon. If they were above capacity, definitely an issue. If a toon was taking water, should find a beach quick.

That said...the focus should be on the two young men. Action over inaction surely saved lives. The video ends, probably because they "went to work".

Disturbed has a song, "In Another Time":

"In another time, when we weren't so blind
When the world was more
Than what we see online
When we actually lived instead of watching life
In another time, in another time"

Major respect for anyone willing to risk themselves to help others ๐Ÿ‘

DWC

Reaction score
Yesterday was a good example of too many people on a watercraft can be a disaster. The video shows a Pontoon rolling over trapping several occupants under water. As other boaters flew by two young men Riley Shiroke and Garrett Kalsna jumped in and pulled several out from under the boat. These people were very lucky as these two brave young men are both experienced watermen from San Clemente Ca. Again had it not been for these two brave young men there would have been several drown. Moral to the story, donโ€™t over load you boat because youโ€™re not always going to be lucky as these people were thanks to Riley and Garrett ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช
Thatโ€™s insane. Glad everything turned out fine.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Jezus. So many questions.

Everyone made it out safe?

Reactions: DLC

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
We came around the corner just after it happened. Glad to hear everyone is okay. I've had my share of oh shit moments. It happens real quick. Always good to have respect for the boat, water and people around you.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Reaction score
Yesterday was a good example of too many people on a watercraft can be a disaster. The video shows a Pontoon rolling over trapping several occupants under water. As other boaters flew by two young men Riley Shiroke and Garrett Klasna jumped in and pulled several out from under the boat. These people were very lucky as these two brave young men are both experienced watermen from San Clemente Ca. Again had it not been for these two brave young men there would have been several drown. Moral to the story, donโ€™t over load you boat because youโ€™re not always going to be lucky as these people were thanks to Riley and Garrett ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช
There were 2 girls trapped under the boat near the helm. I went in and got them out. There were a couple of young men outside the boat helping. While I was under the boat somebody did yank on my leg as if to attempted to pull me sideways under the toon. Sketchy. The cushions had flipped over and were blocking the way towards the front railing door. I was able to flip the very front one over but I had to pull the girls one at a time under the others. There was about 5-6โ€ of space between the floor and the water when I got in there and nearly no space when I got the last girl out.

Reaction score
There were 2 girls trapped under the boat near the helm. I went in and got them out. There were a couple of young men outside the boat helping. While I was under the boat somebody did yank on my leg as if to attempted to pull me sideways under the toon. Sketchy. The cushions had flipped over and were blocking the way towards the front railing door. I was able to flip the very front one over but I had to pull the girls one at a time under the others. There was about 5-6โ€ of space between the floor and the water when I got in there and nearly no space when I got the last girl out.
At the end of it I had 7 of the 14 on my boat.

Wave Hi

Reaction score
You definitely win the award for the bravest " New Member " introduction I have seen on here. Great job and welcome aboard.

Aces & Eights

Reaction score
Life saver there, big props to you and everyone else who helped out.

Tank

Reaction score
I dig the look and party potential of those double decker toons but they are top heavy as a mo fo. Donโ€™t even understand how their CG approved to operate frankly.

Glad no one was hurt. Scary shit. Especially when youโ€™re partying a few cocktails in riding down the lake care free and chillin the most, next thing you know boats upside down on top of you. Sketch.

C-Ya

Intโ€™l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of this story 2 years ago.

Basically itโ€™s an overloaded rental boat, that capsizes in inlet with 13 aboard. A Good Samaritan with years of boating experience jumps in to help. He ends up saving everyone, only to get crushed between a tour boat and another large vessel. Killing him.

Here is the news coverage of the incident.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Video of it being uprighted;

This is the video that gets me. Sheriff boat and a couple recovery boats working to right that thing. Meanwhile there are some big ass boats blowing right by. WTF happened to no wake near shit like that? SMH

WYRD

Reaction score
54 year olds can save people too.
about-us-save-as-2.jpg

Here's you Mr. Save a Fellow Boater Guy ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I canโ€™t imagine doing that with the current.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Orange Juice

Reaction score
It appears instead of pulling the throttles, they trimmed up and tried to power through a 180 degree turnโ€ฆ. In Memorial Day boat traffic.

Hope they paid for insurance. ๐Ÿ˜‰

wzuber

Reaction score
That's awesome bravery bud....
How old were the girls you rescued?
How did you keep them calm and following your lead?

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Thats just incredible, thinking fast and acting!!! Saved lives for sure. Maybe this type of incident will knock some sense in the Patrol poeple claiming to have our safety in mind. I can find a dozen overloaded boats every weekend. One with that type of structure coupled with some wind and over it goes.

Had a neighbor in Parker get caught in some currents above the rock pile in a pontoon where water actually got above the deck and held them for a fews seconds before he could power out of it.

Reaction score
That's awesome bravery bud....
How old were the girls you rescued?
How did you keep them calm and following your lead?
When I got to them I just told them to stay calm and breathe. Said there was plenty of air and I was going to get them out. One at a time I had them hold there breath and pulled them under the debris and out. So many days at the motocross track with my kids helping down riders saying the same things.