WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

To balance or not to balance trailer tires that is!

CRAZYEYE

Reaction score
I have always balanced my trailer tires whether it be motorcycle, toy hauler or boat trailer. Does it really make a difference? I wouldn't know I've always done it. What say you?

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread1

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Mine are balanced but I'm told by several people. (word of mouth) they don't need to be.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I've never heard they don't need to be balanced.

Any wheel (or any mechanical system) with vibration is going to last less long than a system without vibration. Your bearings are going to take a beating.

I'd balance them.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
They should be balanced. They will be spinning at roughly the same RPM as the tires on your tow vehicle, which means they have as much potential for vibration if they are not balanced.

Don't balance them and you will still experience uneven wear on the tire along with premature failure. It'll be hell on the axles too. You'll also probably rattle the hell out of the trailer, causing certain things to losen up and come off. Probably not good.

Balancing really isn't that much more money, so why not do it? Someone advising not to balance trailer tires is someone who likes to cut corners.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I can't think of a single reason NOT to balance them.

The only things I don't have balanced are my checkbook and my mind.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
I've never heard they don't need to be balanced.

Any wheel (or any mechanical system) with vibration is going to last less long than a system without vibration. Your bearings are going to take a beating.

I'd balance them.

Talk to people I know :D

Obviously it sure seems that it would be better if they were. :hmm

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
Is this a trick question? Of course you balance.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Wheel vibration is always bad. Plus, since most trailers lack shock absorbers, you especially don't want vibration hitting an undamped spring, it will oscillate and the next thing you know, parts start to fail.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
They should be balanced. They will be spinning at roughly the same RPM as the tires on your tow vehicle, which means they have as much potential for vibration if they are not balanced.

Sure, and who ever heard of a trailer with larger wheels than the tow vehicle? The tow vehicle probably has larger wheels, meaning the trailer wheels will spin faster to go the same distance.

CRAZYEYE

Reaction score
Like I said I have always balanced all my trailer tires just wanted some feedback from others i've been in a longtime debate with my buddy who says it does not matter I always end it with better safe then sorry.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's only a phone call away so I made the call.

On smaller trailer tires no. Bigger trailer tires yes.

:rolleyes:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
On smaller trailer tires no. Bigger trailer tires yes.

Smaller wheels spin faster. I would think it would be even more important in this situation.

Who did you call? It was Discount Tire, wasn't it? lol! :D

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Smaller wheels spin faster. I would think it would be even more important in this situation.

Tom, I think what is probably meant by "smaller tire" are the really small ones found on small car dollies and other really light trailers.

You know, the ones that hop and jump going down the freeway such that the wheels only touch the ground half the time?

CRAZYEYE

Reaction score
He doesn't really have logic.......at all for anything

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score

No not this time. :D

Buddy of mine at a tire store. He says they only balance the smaller ones opon request. :headscratch:

I asked what's the reason he's says don't know but alot of people request not to have them balanced.
Maybe tight asses saving a buck.

I see it all the time next time you go out boating take a look and do a survey. :rolleyes:

WildHorses24

Reaction score
He doesn't really have logic.......at all for anything

You should ask him to keep an eye out for the 1980 30ft Uhaul van bouncing down the 10frwy at 80mph that has a front tire hitting the road every other 3rd foot...maybe he has a better argument:cool:

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
You should ask him to keep an eye out for the 1980 30ft Uhaul van bouncing down the 10frwy at 80mph that has a front tire hitting the road every other 3rd foot...maybe he has a better argument:cool:

Iv'e seen that before. :D

WATERDOG

Reaction score

Logically if it is only hitting every 3rd foot you could save 66% in tread wear. :thumbsup

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Sure, and who ever heard of a trailer with larger wheels than the tow vehicle?

142245d1315431875-there-rims-too-big-donk-trailer.jpg

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Ok I've herd this one two.

Wheel weights.

Typically trailer tire assemblies are not balanced out of the factory. If you balance your trailer tires and then pull the trailer unloaded for some distance, the trailer will tend to bounce due to the light load and more often then not, throw the weights from the wheels. Every time this occurs, the assembly would need to be ?re-balanced?.

Along with this, tandem axle trailers tend to throw weights when backing sharply due to the stress put on the mounted assembly, so it becomes almost impossible to keep up with balancing your trailer tire assemblies.

Most people do not feel a difference between balanced trailer tires and non balanced tires. More often than not, the majority of people do not balance their assemblies, but it is left up to the preference of the owner of the trailer.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Not to thread jack but I have a question:

When do you guys typically change the air in your tires? I understand the air goes bad after awhile. I have had the same air in my tires for 4 years and I think I'm skating on thin ice. Is it safe to put air in your tires in AZ if the tires where bought in CA?

WATERDOG

Reaction score
Ok I've herd this one two.

Most people do not feel a difference between balanced trailer tires and non balanced tires.

Could be cause nobody is riding in the trailer.:grumble:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Not to thread jack but I have a question:

When do you guys typically change the air in your tires? I understand the air goes bad after awhile. I have had the same air in my tires for 4 years and I think I'm skating on thin ice. Is it safe to put air in your tires in AZ if the tires where bought in CA?

You should change them with the seasons. No way do you want winter air in your tires during summer, that can be deadly.:D

BTW, all my trailer tires are balanced.

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
Costco balances all tires you buy from them, so mine are balanced. I think the truck pulls smoother on the highway.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Go to the dealer and get an air flush. :D

:thumbsup

I just called one of the certified tire techs at Walmart to set an appointment. Those are the only guys I let service my stuff when I want it done right.

You should change them with the seasons. No way do you want winter air in your tires during summer, that can be deadly.:D

Oh shit! Really? wow I thought I heard CHP is going to start pulling people over and testing tire air to see if it's from the correct season.:D

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score

Typically trailer tire assemblies are not balanced out of the factory. If you balance your trailer tires and then pull the trailer unloaded for some distance, the trailer will tend to bounce due to the light load and more often then not, throw the weights from the wheels. Every time this occurs, the assembly would need to be ?re-balanced?.

Along with this, tandem axle trailers tend to throw weights when backing sharply due to the stress put on the mounted assembly, so it becomes almost impossible to keep up with balancing your trailer tire assemblies.

Most people do not feel a difference between balanced trailer tires and non balanced tires. More often than not, the majority of people do not balance their assemblies, but it is left up to the preference of the owner of the trailer.
So do you have a tandem trailer? If so you should check your wheel weights.

DtB

Reaction score
The 80 20 rule is in effect here;if you run on asphalt
80 percent and concrete 20 percent your good to go sans the
balance. 81 19 and worse and you need it done. I keep meticulous
records of the type of roads I drive on sometimes
I have to take a weekend and find a concrete stretch of road
and tow the damn thing up and down it all day to get the ratio
where it needs to be -but I never have to balance.