WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Through transom headers - jet boat

Mototrig

Reaction score
IMG950671.jpg

I posted this in classifieds but to get more eyes I dropped it here too.
A friend of mine is looking for a set for his 502 powered jet. The set he has were built by Lightning years ago. They began to rot end of last summer. He admitted It was his mistake letting water sit in the tubes in the off season, he got side tracked trying to get home I guess. A new set from Lightning is $2300. Work is slow right now, looking for options for a used set to get him by for a few season's before he can get a quality set built. Or if you you know of a good builder I can pass along to him.

Here's a link to what he has and eventually wants to have built put on his boat again:

https://www.cpperformance.com/p-118...t-drive-36-wide-standard-jacketed-header.aspx

He would prefer to stay with headers over manifolds seeing as the motor is tuned with headers.
Adam

Last edited:

brgrcru

Reaction score
I would stay with the lightning headers. Or else he might deal with issues. Not fitting right.
Like not lining up with exhaust through the transom.
Then he might end up opening a can of worms. spend more and a big headache
He just buy new lightings
Just my .02

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Depending on the application (build cam profile) ,4 tube style Headers may not be the answer , most modern center rise systems are simple to use and install and will support 600 plus HP , We regularly see issues caused by and related to some jacketed systems and as most know simple water injected headers are strictly taboo on enclosed engine Please call if We can help we have both used and new offerings

My Blown BBC ran well with Center rise
elim emi thunders.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
View attachment 728367
I posted this in classifieds but to get more eyes I dropped it here too.
A friend of mine is looking for a set for his 502 powered jet. The set he has were built by Lightning years ago. They began to rot end of last summer. He admitted It was his mistake letting water sit in the tubes in the off season, he got side tracked trying to get home I guess. A new set from Lightning is $2300. Work is slow right now, looking for options for a used set to get him by for a few season's before he can get a quality set built. Or if you you know of a good builder I can pass along to him.

Here's a link to what he has and eventually wants to have built put on his boat again:

https://www.cpperformance.com/p-118...t-drive-36-wide-standard-jacketed-header.aspx

He would prefer to stay with headers over manifolds seeing as the motor is tuned with headers.
Adam
I know this may not be a viable option, but why not repair what he has? It would depend on the severity of the rot, and I know lot of people here would never do such a thing. Even as temporary. I'd love to run a set...but agree, 2300 is a good chunk...even 1800 is for most of us.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I know this may not be a viable option, but why not repair what he has? It would depend on the severity of the rot, and I know lot of people here would never do such a thing. Even as temporary. I'd love to run a set...but agree, 2300 is a good chunk...even 1800 is for most of us.
Rot or failure on these as I recall is from the inner pipes being mild steel and if so , not certain how it might be to disassemble to repair

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Rot or failure on these as I recall is from the inner pipes being mild steel and if so , not certain how it might be to disassemble to repair
Wow, didn't know they'd use mild at all in assembling these! That would explain a lot though.

500bbc

Reaction score
Inner pipe stainless, outer mild steel unless ordered stainless.
I blow mine out now, gravity drain leaves them with standing water.

headerrot 017.jpg headerrot 012.jpg headerrustrepair 002.jpg

D19

Reaction score
I had those headers in a 21 XS I owned. They rotted like his and filled the bilge full of water. The stainless outer wall is a dumb design. I get that it's cost effective, but they will all eventually fail and who really wants to drain headers after each day? Especially in a boat pictured where access doesn't look all that great.

Advise your buddy to either go full stainless or change to a cast manifold. I replaced mine with Thumper Powers from IMCO. They were less than the Lightning and everything fit just fine. I noticed zero difference in exhaust tone or performance.