WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

There’s a chance rdp might go offline

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Our new servers are located in Florida.. 😳

To Our Valued Customers,

With Hurricane Ian continuing its path towards Florida USA, we wanted to establish the first of what is sure to be numerous updates over the coming days. Current forecasts project Hurricane Ian to impact the Tampa Bay Area, where TPA1 and TPA2 are located, starting Tuesday evening around 7pm ET and ending Thursday evening around 7pm ET.

First, please know our TPA1 and TPA2 data centers are reinforced concrete buildings built to withstand the severest of weather. Should we lose utility power at either of our Tampa facilities we will fail-over to our UPS systems and diesel generators. We have topped off the fuel tanks for each of our generators and are storing additional fuel at each location while also establishing lines of communication with our contracted refueling vendors. Our Technical Support and Facility Teams will be, as always, on-site working around the clock throughout the storm maintaining our customers' and facility needs. Lastly, we always recommend you perform regular backups of your data and this seems like as good a time as any to suggest creating a fresh one.

We recommend you follow Hivelocity on Twitter as it is the simplest way for us to provide updates to the masses during adverse events. You may also check our Hurricane Ian knowledge base article that will be kept updated throughout the storm. While we do not anticipate any interruption in our phone and live chat services we ask that you utilize our trouble ticket system as your primary form of technical support Tuesday through Thursday.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 😭

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
countdown-timer.gif

Singleton

Reaction score
I never thought of Florida as an ideal location to locate a data center.

It is not location #1, but power WAS cheap in FL. MSN used to have a data center in the basement of a building in Japan (prime typhoon and earthquake zone). Was on the team that did an international MSN data center review - Holly hell that place was F’d. Great project, flew around the world more then once for that project

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
geo-redundant servers for the win.

A lot of our customers have been calling us with this concern over the past few days. No sweat :)

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
It is not location #1, but power WAS cheap in FL. MSN used to have a data center in the basement of a building in Japan (prime typhoon and earthquake zone). Was on the team that did an international MSN data center review - Holly hell that place was F’d. Great project, flew around the world more then once for that project

We had to shut down our gear during hurricane Sandy. It was at a DC in NJ and the Hudson river was coming in the door.

Last edited:

TCHB

Reaction score
Our new servers are located in Florida.. 😳

To Our Valued Customers,

With Hurricane Ian continuing its path towards Florida USA, we wanted to establish the first of what is sure to be numerous updates over the coming days. Current forecasts project Hurricane Ian to impact the Tampa Bay Area, where TPA1 and TPA2 are located, starting Tuesday evening around 7pm ET and ending Thursday evening around 7pm ET.

First, please know our TPA1 and TPA2 data centers are reinforced concrete buildings built to withstand the severest of weather. Should we lose utility power at either of our Tampa facilities we will fail-over to our UPS systems and diesel generators. We have topped off the fuel tanks for each of our generators and are storing additional fuel at each location while also establishing lines of communication with our contracted refueling vendors. Our Technical Support and Facility Teams will be, as always, on-site working around the clock throughout the storm maintaining our customers' and facility needs. Lastly, we always recommend you perform regular backups of your data and this seems like as good a time as any to suggest creating a fresh one.

We recommend you follow Hivelocity on Twitter as it is the simplest way for us to provide updates to the masses during adverse events. You may also check our Hurricane Ian knowledge base article that will be kept updated throughout the storm. While we do not anticipate any interruption in our phone and live chat services we ask that you utilize our trouble ticket system as your primary form of technical support Tuesday through Thursday.
Dave should have duplicated servers in 6 countries for reliability.

CSmith

Reaction score
Idk how my day is going to be without the good morning thread!
I'm going to apologize to my fellow employees now.

boatpi

Reaction score
I never would envisioned this, RDP wiped out by a Chinese typhoon💥💥💥💥

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Sandy was different. I was transiting from St John’s Newfoundland to Charleston SC, at that time. We kept a close eye on Sandy. Watched it form from a Tropical Wave. It was around Cuba for a bit. It stalled offshore the Bahamas for a period. Upper level wind shear whacked at it a number of times. Not sure if it was ever above a Cat 2. Our intended southerly track was right down it’s likely northern track. So, we gave it all the attention it deserved. I’d never transited closer to the US east coast. Hell, I would have put into Martha’s Viine Yard, if necessary. That Bahama area stall gave us the time we needed to safely arrive in Charleston. When it arrived in the NJ - NYC area it was barely a hurricane. I recall maybe a Cat 1. But, it’s damage was severe. I repeat, hurricanes suck, typhoons are worse.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Dave I’m not primarily a web guy but there are some really talented guys on this forum that can help you scale and have some redundancy. There’s no reason for you guys to be with a private web host unless cost is that much of a priority over uptime.

I’m not talking about some of the one man shows here but some guys that have some real experience with scale.

If things are still going well with the site it may be time to tap some of that talent to at least see what the ‘other side’ looks like.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sandy was different. I was transiting from St John’s Newfoundland to Charleston SC, at that time. We kept a close eye on Sandy. Watched it form from a Tropical Wave. It was around Cuba for a bit. It stalled offshore the Bahamas for a period. Upper level wind shear whacked at it a number of times. Not sure if it was ever above a Cat 2. Our intended southerly track was right down it’s likely northern track. So, we gave it all the attention it deserved. I’d never transited closer to the US east coast. Hell, I would have put into Martha’s Viine Yard, if necessary. That Bahama area stall gave us the time we needed to safely arrive in Charleston. When it arrived in the NJ - NYC area it was barely a hurricane. I recall maybe a Cat 1. But, it’s damage was severe. I repeat, hurricanes suck, typhoons are worse.

Cost isn’t really an issue.

Roosky01

Reaction score
All I know is, I had two 520 errors today loading RDP? I immediately started looking for black cats and ladders and shit. Thought I saw Neo at one point...

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
So when do we started the big F U call out thread for hurricane ian?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Who made the dec not to have any off site redundancy?

I know that some of these IT guys on here would have at least suggested it.

I’m not sure if we have offsite backups or not. I’m going to call tomorrow to see what’s what

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I’m not sure if we have offsite backups or not. I’m going to call tomorrow to see what’s what
Doesnt sound like it or they wouldnt need diesel for the gensets. If things go down it just runs off the off site location.

It does cost to have that setup but if money isnt the issue….

In the corporate world we always had redundancy off site backups installed for our customers.

just_floatin

Reaction score
A business continuity plan in the same location. Well ain’t that just peachy disaster recovery planning. As soon as you run out of diesel fuel it’s lights out.

Just think if your banking institution sent you this same message. You would have no access to your accounts. That is why back up service in financial markets are spread across the USA and the globe for that matter 😉. Bush leaguers 🤣.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the site is still chugging along…..🤞🤞🤞🤞

traquer

Reaction score
I'm not a web dev guy and I was also going to say why not just go with AWS and cloudflare, but I realized it's not that simple.. My client sites and personal sites make good money but all the visitors do is browse a few pages, then leave (a small percentage that converts are usually sent to a separately hosted shopping cart, or to a third party site that pays a commission, etc.). Forum sites like this are a different beast though... Many people are logged in all the time, they're uploading photos and videos, hackers are coming at the site in a directed manner etc. It seems like a lot of bandwidth and not a "set it and forget" type of web hosting.

outboard_256

Reaction score

Redundancy is not off site backup's. It's being able to switch locations instantly. If one datacenter goes down then your web traffic will be directed to a different datacenter with your website on it. And you want your other location to be geographically different, usually on opposites sides of the country if possible.