WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Borrego Springs RV Resort and Jeeping Anza Borrego?

DaBank

Reaction score
I have never been off roading at Anza Borrego and I am thinking about staying at The Borrego Springs RV Resort for a few day's and hitting the trail's at Anza Borrego.
Has anyone stayed at this resort? Is it centrally located to the trails in the park?
Any must do Jeep trails to do when I am there?
Frank

propcheck

Reaction score
Anza is great for jeeping, the rv park is a good location but if you dont need hookups just boondock out there. Be sure to hit slot canyon it is a fun short hike

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have never been off roading at Anza Borrego and I am thinking about staying at The Borrego Springs RV Resort for a few day's and hitting the trail's at Anza Borrego.
Has anyone stayed at this resort? Is it centrally located to the trails in the park?
Frank
I drive by it every time I go to Havasu. It's closer to the State Park for hiking/biking. Offroading is predominantly east & south of this location. If you can dry camp you're better off just east of the airport. From there(S22) you can travel all the way to hwy 86(Salton City)and 78(Ocotillo Wells) offroad.

DaBank

Reaction score
I drive by it every time I go to Havasu. It's closer to the State Park for hiking/biking. Offroading is predominantly east & south of this location. If you can dry camp you're better off just east of the airport. From there(S22) you can travel all the way to hwy 86(Salton City)and 78(Ocotillo Wells) offroad.
I rather not dry camp the first time out there, we have a 45' motorhome and would rather know the area better. How far is the resort from the off roading area? Is there any other RV resorts that are closer/better? I would like to stay up to 30 minutes away from the trail heads.
I have a long arm Jeep Rubicon on 37's so I believe I should be able to do most the trail's in the area.

DLC

Reaction score
How many days will you be staying out there?

I drive past the camp ground but never stayed there
i have friends that stay at the SpringsRV resort

boondocking (dry camping ) is huge in that area

not sure how much you know about the area
but there are 2 parks basically next to each other
one is the state park
one is the off road park

a ton to do and see in and around the area.
stop in the visitor center and ask and get maps

a few trails and points of interest

slot caynon
fonts point
culp valley
Truckhaven off road park ( where the jeep run is held in March )
fish creek
Blow sand
Devil Slide
Pumpkin patch

a few of these are really close and a few have a little drive to get to

fmo24

Reaction score
It’s a very nice park. If I recall it’s about 5 miles to trails. My Jeep was brand new when we went so really just did pretty tame trails. It was fun

Singleton

Reaction score
Heading that way for Thanksgiving week.
Good hiking and Jeep stuff is just a few miles east and south.

DLC

Reaction score
Red dot is fonts point wash
green arrow is direction to truck haven TDS
blue dot is turn off to slot caynon
8AC19CCF-FB03-4806-9C34-C34BF0CCDF01.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Green is blow sand
yellow is devils slide and Squaws peak
Red is Iron Door bar
follow Split Mtn road south to Fish Creek
D58AF33A-FB21-4135-AD51-3C4115C85891.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
this would be like an all day run
Red line head to blow sand follow paved road to the land fill dump take trail out side the fence and follow & eventually you meander around head east this leg will take about 2 hrs to get to blow sand. BS is a sand hill and you can hang out at the bottom or go up and around but you’ll have to air down 12-14 psi

green line will take about an hour to 1.5 hr

blue will take you to fonts point it’s a great afternoon look out spot over looks a mini Grand Canyon

yellow will take you back into town

we would do this run backwards and have tacos in town just after dark we would watch sunset at fonts point and follow red line back to camp we stayed in ocotillo wells area

2526A019-D596-46B7-A796-E0D0E74E6FB8.jpeg

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
We have stayed there in the little motel rooms as a quick getaway. Nice place. We like going to see the sculptures in the desert. There is also a very cool hike to the oasis in the state park nearby. Only about 2 miles round trip. Easy hike.
We will be staying at Holmes amp not too far away. Hit me up if you are out that way.
Frank

DaBank

Reaction score
I am thinking about going Saturday or Sunday till Tuesday.
What is the off road park called?
What is there to do in the town of Borrego Springs?
Is Borrego Springs Rv Resort close to the town?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to see it this rv resort is a good spot. Thanks again for all the input.
Frank

DLC

Reaction score
On the trail to calcite mine there used to be one off camber section and it had a little wash out but it was passable in a stock TJ. This was back in 2008 ish It looks like it’s almost paved now!
lol
A729E403-9330-49F1-B145-0EFD0A733CEC.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
red Borrego springs RV park
blue Springs RV resort
green visitor center
yellow off road park and points of interest

black is paved roads

917CAB7F-F50E-495D-AB36-4521B5E95E9C.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
There are some restaurants in Borrego
carleys
red onion
jillbertos
pabulitos
kennedys
carlitas

there is some tourist type shopping - craft and rock hound, t shirt but very limited

2 gas stations
3 markets but limited ( small ish)
ace hardware
ice cream and liquor store

beer is limited to ( IN Camp )in both parks so if you stop on a trail and have a road soda be careful !

Dana757

Reaction score
Pinyon is a Jeep badge of honor trail. Has a tight squeeze and heart attack hill (that lives up to it's name in a 2 door). Just go out there and explore. More to see then came be done in one weekend. It's all really cool.

DLC

Reaction score
There is a nice RV park close to the Off Road park
you can ride quads and sxs’s directly out of the park

0439FFCE-A1B4-4C54-AE27-C1BAB4E0E159.jpeg

HBCraig

Reaction score
Frank
My Dad does exactly this. Tows the Jeep to Borrego Springs and jeeps in Anza Borrego and Ocotillo.

You can also stay at the Blu-in down by Poleline Road

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is a Great park! Largest state park in California. Ocotillo Wells is right there too. ABDSP does not allow unlicensed vehicles so it's safer than Ocotillo Wells in terms of not having to deal with SXS, Quads, Dirt Bikes and kids riding, etc.

Here's the map showing you the park and trails (click the PDF - the pic below shows the PDF map)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 12.01.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 12.01.58 PM.png
    878.4 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: DLC

HBCraig

Reaction score
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is a Great park! Largest state park in California. Ocotillo Wells is right there too. ABDSP does not allow unlicensed vehicles so it's safer than Ocotillo Wells in terms of not having to deal with SXS, Quads, Dirt Bikes and kids riding, etc.

Here's the map showing you the park and trails (click the PDF - the pic below shows the PDF map)

Yep. The Badlands is an awesome ride. I can remember rising my YZ 80 from Ocotillo to the Badland before they closed it to licensed vehicles only.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I am thinking about going Saturday or Sunday till Tuesday.
What is the off road park called?
What is there to do in the town of Borrego Springs?
Is Borrego Springs Rv Resort close to the town?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to see it this rv resort is a good spot. Thanks again for all the input.
Frank

Go, it's a great park, you'll enjoy it. But it will be crowded Thanksgiving weekend.

Offroad park: Ocotillo Wells
Park info: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1217
Map: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23478

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
Park info: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638
Map: https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdsp_Park_Map201704.pdf

Borrego Springs RV Resort is in town
ABDSP is huge - largest state park in California but if you're based in/around Borrego Springs you'll have more than enough to do for a week - trails and washes are everywhere.

It's one of the best off roading places anywhere - with washes and trails and exploring - it's an awesome park!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
WE used to go out there all the time when our kids were little. Had an overcab camper and towed a little Wrangler. Most of the cool spots are listed.

No open fires, take a washtub or metal ring for dry camping. The rangers get excited to bust you on that one.

It can cold at night. One holiday is was 28* out and the campfire wasn't warm enough for us to stay up late.

An interesting destination is the Marshal South Cabin Ruins: https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/ma...pec-ghost-mountain-cabin-anza-borrego-desert/

Here's a vid from Youtube of Heart Attack Hill and the Squeeze:

In the park grounds it is licensed road vehicles only so that makes it way less wacky.

The Mud Caves is another fun trip. https://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/Mud_Caves.html

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Not my videos but a good reference

Definitely go check out the metal sculptures!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I rather not dry camp the first time out there, we have a 45' motorhome and would rather know the area better. How far is the resort from the off roading area? Is there any other RV resorts that are closer/better? I would like to stay up to 30 minutes away from the trail heads.
I have a long arm Jeep Rubicon on 37's so I believe I should be able to do most the trail's in the area.
I'm not overly familiar with the campgrounds but if you have a street legal offroad jeep you'll be fine, 5-10 minutes drive to offroad areas.
I'm actually about 45minutes from driving through, see I notice any alternatives offhand.

DaBank

Reaction score
Wow, I appreciate all the input. My Jeep is street legal so I won't have a problem in the park. When I was young I know I went to Ocotillo Wells but I dont really remember it. I seen some pictures online of Truck Haven also.

I want to take the motorhome but since it is a last minute trip I might just get a motel in Borrego Springs or somewhere close by. Not sure what motel's are nice out there.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Pinyon is a Jeep badge of honor trail. Has a tight squeeze and heart attack hill (that lives up to it's name in a 2 door). Just go out there and explore. More to see then came be done in one weekend. It's all really cool.
i was wondering why no one mentioned that trail. quite popular.

WYRD

Reaction score
This is something we've always wanted to do as well. I remember going as a kid but haven't been back since. Be sure to give us a good report on how it is we might be going early 2022

DLC

Reaction score
I’ve been going to Borrego / ocotillo Wells … since 1983.
1981 Atc 110 then a 1984 200x, then a 1985 atc 250r, quads, Jeeping, rhino & quite a few bikes

there are still quite a few places I haven’t been to.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Wow, I appreciate all the input. My Jeep is street legal so I won't have a problem in the park. When I was young I know I went to Ocotillo Wells but I dont really remember it. I seen some pictures online of Truck Haven also.

I want to take the motorhome but since it is a last minute trip I might just get a motel in Borrego Springs or somewhere close by. Not sure what motel's are nice out there.
I was gonna mention truck haven to you with all the technical stuff they have there for you Jeepers/crawlers. The dry camping there is wide open, flat and firm, kinda like vendor row area of glamis. Regardless, the riding areas are within a few miles from your campground, you'll have great access to it all.
Have a bitchen, fun and safe trip.
Moon pic as I went through Mecca entering Box Canyon.👍👍
20211118_164117.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
We take the same route! Last week about 830-9 pm we saw a few jeeps that got stuck in box canyon - turns out a few kids out night wheeling with full pavement tire pressure

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
@DaBank
20170831_193358.jpg

Pic is in basic N-S orientation. Your campground is a handful of miles west off the left edge of the map. Campground is centrally located to go offroading any direction except west maybe.😉😊Truck Haven is at the "you are here" mark(on this map), Ocotillo Wells bottom of map.
Trail maps available at ranger stations or sometimes I just snap a pic of the big sign.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We take the same route! Last week about 830-9 pm we saw a few jeeps that got stuck in box canyon - turns out a few kids out night wheeling with full pavement tire pressure
They were filming some movie scenes there last night, we had to wait for CHP to let us through 15-20 minutes. Felt like we drove through the middle of the "set" with tons of trucks and big camera cranes and shit......right after the tightest turn.

DLC

Reaction score
Oh that would be cool to see…

Groper

Reaction score
Yes stay at the old Blu Inn Rv park we have stayed there many times and it's great.

You'll have to make a trip to town Anza Borrego for some Mexican food, this place is on Palm Canyon Dr. it didn't come up on Google as a restaurant it might have closed due to covid drive by and check it out the food was outstanding.

Web capture_19-11-2021_10360_www.bing.com.jpeg

Singleton

Reaction score
This thread was perfect timing. Leave Tuesday am with ToyHauler and Jeep for a week.

Staying at Palms Canyon since Borrego RV was full Thanksgiving week. We wanted power so the smoker can run all day while we are hiking and Jeeping - otherwise we would of dry camped

Ol Man

Reaction score
Don't forget to drive up to Julian for apple pie.

HBCraig

Reaction score

If you can make it to the Ocotillo Wells visitor center make sure you take the Goat Trail over and through the slot canyon to Blow Sand. Its an easy, scenic and awesome ride. Only licensed vehicles

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score

Hot Springs at Agua Caliente in Borrego.
Stayed there and hiked that 40 years ago. Looks a little different now but not a whole lot. Bring dog food for the raccoons that invade camps. Good times. thanks for posting that

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If you can make it to the Ocotillo Wells visitor center make sure you take the Goat Trail over and through the slot canyon to Blow Sand. Its an easy, scenic and awesome ride. Only licensed vehicles
Definitely an advantage having a plated vehicle that you can use on all the roads.