WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Best Storage Lock is????????

BigDeck

Reaction score
What type of storage unit lock do you use on your unit, ummm I mean locker?

Are the funky thick round ones the way to go? Is there something better you have seen or used?

I need to pick something up. We are leaving the boat in storage in Havasu this week

Thanks for the input.

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
My Dad owns a mini storage place and he sells the round ones. You can't cut them with a bolt cutter. He has to grind them off. They are pretty tough, but if someone has the tools and the time they are going to get in.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
My Dad owns a mini storage place and he sells the round ones. You can't cut them with a bolt cutter. He has to grind them off. They are pretty tough, but if someone has the tools and the time they are going to get in.

YEP!!
NSF

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Abus:
24-60.jpg

linus3

Reaction score
I use two round ones with the key holes facing each other. Enough room for the keys but not a drill. Read somewhere that they can be drilled out. Like mentioned before all it takes is time and tools. I figure if it happen's, at least I know I made it hard for the shit head. :bash:

jarrettolson

Reaction score
I can pick those abus locks very quickly, not that high security. Get the largest shackle you can, the bigger the less chance that someone can get bolt cutters to work on it. Shielding the shackle adds a lot to the security, but the keyway is very important too. I would suggest an all weather medeco padlock, cost about $100 but if your protecting a 100k boat its money well spent.

http://www.medeco.com/?option=com_medeco&view=productview&app=Padlocks&productid=28&Itemid=71

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If they want to get in that bad they simply rip the whole lock and slider off in seconds.

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
Put a tongue lock in your trailer too. I have a tongue lock and a padlock that goes through one of the holes that the trailer pin goes through. The harder you make it on a thief the quicker they will move on. Thieves are notoriously lazy and really don't want to work for what they are stealing...

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Put a tongue lock in your trailer too. I have a tongue lock and a padlock that goes through one of the holes that the trailer pin goes through. The harder you make it on a thief the quicker they will move on. Thieves are notoriously lazy and really don't want to work for what they are stealing...

In addition to the tongue lock sometimes I'll run a chain through the holes in the wheels. Just another thing to slow them down.

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
In addition to the tongue lock sometimes I'll run a chain through the holes in the wheels. Just another thing to slow them down.

My boat is stored outside next to my trailer, I have an 8' cable that I run through my golf cart suspension and wrap it around my boat trailer. If someone wants to steal my stuff they are more then welcome, however I am going to make them work for it. :skull

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Cut-Off wheel Battery grinder....about 10 seconds.

Maybe quicker then bolt cutters but louder.

Chain through the wheels and around the frame with the lock dangling. This is the best way as the perp has to hold the lock laying on his back to cut it with a grinder. There would be no way to get cutters under there.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
The best storage lock is a good insurance policy:skull

Yellowboat

Reaction score

this

no matter how good of a lock you put on it, the weakest link is almost always the latch itself. they can be cut in seconds with tools that are both cheap and easy to get.

lalhc

Islander Trailer Trash
Reaction score

I'd be looking for a new storage place if I had to go through all of this. How many of you really do all of this when leaving your boat in your storage?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

this

no matter how good of a lock you put on it, the weakest link is almost always the latch itself. they can be cut in seconds with tools that are both cheap and easy to get.

No matter what you put on they will get it if they want it. The tongue locks can be defeated by replacing the receiver. The chain or cable can be broke by driving off "I did it on accident" being in a hurry.
Just keep your boat insurance paid. ;):D

BigDeck

Reaction score
I agree with most of this. But certainly no reason to make things too easy.

I went with one of these. Seem to be the most heavy duty disk style I could find.

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 71

Kleptow

Reaction score
I don't do key locks any more, the only person they locked out was myself.

Best way to start off a vacation, get to the river and all of your shits locked up and all of the keys are back home 300 miles away.