WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Temporary job suggestions for my daughter? 5 months until she goes in the Army

kurtis500

Reaction score
[Central Phoenix area] My daughter has 5 mopnths until she goes in th Army as an officer. She's a Baylor grad (math/actuary) and wants to do something until she goes in December. She's willing to do anything include work outside and it doesnt have to be education related. I suggested uber eats and shes cool with that but we are trying to find some other ideas.. Temp agency, fast food etc? Anybody have any ideas? Shes ok with money until December but really wants something to do.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I always told myself that if I fell on hard times with my career I would become a dog walker or babysit dogs. There's good money to be made there, and you surround yourself with awesome dogs. Heck, now that I think about it I should do this in my spare time. So yeah... That's what I would do.

Your ad here

Reaction score
There's gotta be something in the Cave Creek/Carefree area.

Romans9

Reaction score
Whatever it is make sure it requires a lot of time waiting needlessly to do things repetitive without any actual productivity…….

4Waters

Reaction score
[Central Phoenix area] My daughter has 5 mopnths until she goes in th Army as an officer. She's a Baylor grad (math/actuary) and wants to do something until she goes in December. She's willing to do anything include work outside and it doesnt have to be education related. I suggested uber eats and shes cool with that but we are trying to find some other ideas.. Temp agency, fast food etc? Anybody have any ideas? Shes ok with money until December but really wants something to do.
Congrats, number 1 school on my daughters list is Baylor. We took the tour in June and we all fell in love, the Baylor Line looks like fun

Mr. Jones

Reaction score
I was an Army Captain there for a hot minute. If she is waiting to start basic training and then go to ocs, I'd say enjoy the time off, get/stay in shape, read some books, etc. Spend a lot time with friends and family.

If she's ROTC and is just off to her BOLC school, that's a gentlewoman's course most likely. So maybe consider driving or volunteering. Boating?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I always told myself that if I fell on hard times with my career I would become a dog walker or babysit dogs. There's good money to be made there, and you surround yourself with awesome dogs. Heck, now that I think about it I should do this in my spare time. So yeah... That's what I would do.
No shit I pay 45 day each for my 2 knuckle heads.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Care.com

My daughter paid for most of her college doing Nanny / tutor type stuff through care.com

And it pays way more than minimum wage.

Dog

Reaction score
Probably not what I would think of first but just a thought, volunteer for something she is passionate about?

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Send her to the local golf courses to work banquets or beverage cart. Then you get free golf and she gets great tips! She learns how to deal with grumpy old men.

f12517

Reaction score
As a fellow Baylor dad I just wanted to say “sic em bears!” Hope she finds something and good luck to her in her military career!

WYRD

Reaction score
Since she's okay with money maybe she should try volunteering somewhere related to the long-term field she wants to be in. That might make a nice addition to her resume once she's completed with her service.

And congratulations to you. It sounds like you've raised a productive member of society. Not many of those left anymore.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Send her to the local golf courses to work banquets or beverage cart. Then you get free golf and she gets great tips! She learns how to deal with grumpy old men.
This…. Service industry is dieing for people

Your ad here

Reaction score
Get a job at QT. Good introduction to the world and will open here eyes as to just how unorganized and really how people truly are (polity saying). Talking the customers here.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Married and separate bank accounts?
Joint account but I make her pay it that way I can sleep at night knowing I didn’t pay ridiculous money for dog baby and kid stuff we don’t need.

Today she bought my kids pencil holder because it was a Tank. $20💸

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Joint account but I make her pay it that way I can sleep at night knowing I didn’t pay ridiculous money for dog baby and kid stuff we don’t need.

Today she bought my kids pencil holder because it was a Tank. $20💸
So it’s all about who clicks the send button? 😆

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Travel and stay in shape. Why spend the last few months working

BigAl96

Reaction score
We need a couple of yard coordinators at both rdo equipment stores in the valley, have her apply online and text me her info and I can put in a good work for her.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the physical conditioning so much. We had several borderline overweight people make it through Basic. It's more of a mind game with the stress they put on you. Course this was back in 86 when we didn't have stress cards and quiet places...lol

Congrats on raising what sounds like a pretty squared away young adult. What MOS/discipline is she wanting to go into?

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe consider Instacart? I get my groceries delivered from Fry's and they use Instacart shoppers. I have no idea how much they make hourly, but I do know that they make tips. I find myself wondering about how much they make every week when they drop my groceries off. Seems like a cool temporary gig...

Last edited: