WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Steve Brulé and Westech

rrrr

Reaction score

In another thread I mentioned that Westech Engineering General Manager Steve Brulé started out in the performance engine business in Albuquerque, working at McClintic Racing Engines. I thought some of you might find the story interesting, so I am filling out some details in this post.

I first met Steve when I was a pimply faced teenager, trying to get some speed out of the underpowered and overweight 1957 Chevy I had bought for $200 from one of my dad's employees. It was around 1969-1970.

John McClintic began racing at Albuquerque Dragway around 1967. I think Steve began working for him in 1970. This is the Corvette that McClintic raced in 1971 and 1972. It ran in D/MP and often took home the Modified Eliminator trophy.

When Steve moved to SoCal in 1997, he owned and raced a CP-19 in Pro Gas Jet, and won a couple of SDBA titles.

849038-R1-12-12-XL.jpg

One of McClintic's sponsors was Guaranteed Auto Parts, an honest to god speed shop and parts store. They had a huge intake valve from a GM locomotive engine as a front doorstop, and there were a couple of Packard Merlin pistons on the counter used as ashtrays.

Steve Hight was the owner, and he ran a Volkswagen bug with a SBC stuffed into it. Guaranteed was "the" place to hang out and talk racing. I spent hours there learning tips from the racers on how to build and tune SBCs. Steve Brule mentions Guaranteed in the Hot Rod magazine story I have linked below. A photo of the bug:

103232-R1-54-54-L.jpg

The 1957 Chevy 210 post car below has a McClintic SBC in it, it's likely Steve wrenched on it at some time. The car was owned by an employee of my dad's company and my dad gave them some sponsor dough. I think it was 1976 when they built it. It ran the half mile at Albuquerque Raceway, which I believe is now known as Duke City Raceway. You can see the Sandia mountains in the background of the photo. I was surprised they used the big '57 body when everyone else was going to smaller cars. It ran like a sumbitch, redlined somewhere close to 8K.

Check out how clean the metal is. This was taken the night of the season opener, so everything was straight and shiny. The car was really in nice shape when they bought it, it was rolled into the shop and the cutting started.

41033074310_135dd952ba_c.jpg

This link is to a Hot Rod magazine article about Steve. He moved to Southern California in 1998 to work at Westech.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/take-5-with-steve-brule/

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Those guys at Westech are the shit. I've talked to them on the phone a few different times. I think that would be one of the ultimate places to work.

This dude posts all kinna cool dyno tests on his Instagram page. I love reading all of his posts...

https://www.instagram.com/richardholdener/

Boat 405

Reaction score
I've been a customer at Westech for over 10 years now. Steve has such an incredible knowledge and grasp on high performance engines, he has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. I see him a few times a year for dyno tests of my own stuff. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat as a go to guy for engine testing.

rrrr

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, here's a link to a huge album of Albuquerque historical drag racing photos. I remember being at some of the races pictured in the album, like the photo of the Little Red Wagon flipped over in the weeds when Bill Golden ran it off the side of the track, and the Dunn & Reath rear engine funny car.

https://kingnitro.smugmug.com/Other/History-of-Albuq-Drag-racing/

Every summer a few guys from SoCal would come through town and run a best of three match race, there were occasionally a few big names on the bill.

Here's a photo of Big Jim Dunn's rear engine FC. I was there that Sunday. That's a crazy short wheelbase, it must have been a real handful. I don't think they ever got the car sorted out and gave up on it after running it a few months.

Scan6_0006-XL.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Lots of modern day Steve Brule stuff on the MotorTrend YouTube channel. Some of the RoadKill stuff is hilarious at times.

Really a knowledgeable tuner and has done a lot in the marine world as boat 405 said.

77charger

Reaction score
met him in 2003 when boat racing.See him over the years here and there always a great guy to talk too.Last saw him about 2010 but doing a job last year i was like this guy looks familiar noticed an older dually covered in front but couldnt tell color.I then saw he had a westech shirt so right away i knew it was him.Funny thing was he said the same about me how i looked familiar.

We talked for a bit about the old race days and he asked how my boss was doing and so on.But was good to run into him working on his home for an hour.

playdeep

Reaction score
This was Steve Night's daily driver...if I remember correctly.
Spent almost every Saturday morning in Guaranteed auto Parts.
Ron...remember the used parts tables?
Gawd...there was some cool stuff on them.
That #44 57 Chevy dirt track car was Don "Moose"Fulbright's.
Helluva racer...unfortunately he passed away year or so ago.
Didn't McClintic he a kinds of National records in that old Vette?

...Those were fun times,I really miss them.
FB_IMG_1531283653014.jpg

Magic1

Reaction score
Steve and I ( and Tracy ) have been close friends for a very long time, in my opinion he is the smartest engine tuner of all time. His IG that he finally got LOL is @dynobrule if you want to follow him.

Cheers

rrrr

Reaction score
This was Steve Night's daily driver...if I remember correctly.
Spent almost every Saturday morning in Guaranteed auto Parts.
Ron...remember the used parts tables?
Gawd...there was some cool stuff on them.
That #44 57 Chevy dirt track car was Don "Moose"Fulbright's.
Helluva racer...unfortunately he passed away year or so ago.
Didn't McClintic he a kinds of National records in that old Vette?

...Those were fun times,I really miss them.

Sorry to hear Don passed away.

I think the McClintic Corvette held the Division 7 D/MP ET and speed records.

I spent a lot of time hanging out at Guaranteed Auto. Good bench racing BS every day, all day long.

Don ran an automotive repair shop on Moon Avenue with his partner Andy Andrews. Andy was a Master Sergeant in the Air Force, and he also worked for my dad maintaining all of his vehicles and equipment and lived on the property as a watchman kinda guy. When Andy retired from the Air Force, he opened up the shop with Don. I learned a lot from hanging out there.

Here's a couple of photos you'll like. The first one is Andy's '40 Ford, at Speedway Park. The second photo is a Pinto he built around 1974. That's Don's wife in the background of the Pinto shot.

28970896688_190284c760_b.jpg

41033073380_4c9e01ca5a_c.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I've been a customer at Westech for over 10 years now. Steve has such an incredible knowledge and grasp on high performance engines, he has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. I see him a few times a year for dyno tests of my own stuff. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat as a go to guy for engine testing.

Agreed, the only drawback there is you can wet run a boat engine at Westech. You have to dyno it with dry headers.

I dynod and tuned my 406 with Steve and Dick Gazan there and within half a day they fixed an intake manifold leak and had the thing making max HP.

When guys ask me how I know it made "X"? - my reply is that "Steve Brule and his dyno said so. " If the guy doesn't know what that means I don't bother going any deeper.

UD

DSC06602.jpg
DSC06596.jpg
406 dyno chart rotated correctly.jpg

Last edited: