WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sports Valley Resort, On The Colorado River

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
This WAS the hotspot on the Parker Strip................................................in my day :D

Attachments

• Parker ad3.jpg
    Parker ad3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 717

triangleman

Reaction score
I remember the restaurant and bar, but the rest of that was gone by the 80's. Unless I was real drunk...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I remember the restauraunt and bar as well. I guess looking back on it, all those rooms right next to it were probably attached to sports valley in someway.. (Didn't know that till right now)

The hotel rooms still stand. There's an old POS golf kart sitting out front of one of them I've had my eye on for awhile.. LOL

RD

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
I miss that place man.....was some good time in the Bar watching some Laker games.

Reactions: TPC

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I loved that place as well lots of memories in there.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The only place I saw a huge bar fight as a kid. Wild place it could be. Flashing red light on the roof at night.

Gone in the early 80's is what I recollect also.

Reactions: TPC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sports Valley was around until the mid to late 90's if memory serves.. If anybodies interested.. LOL

RD

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I remember the restauraunt and bar as well. I guess looking back on it, all those rooms right next to it were probably attached to sports valley in someway.. (Didn't know that till right now)

The hotel rooms still stand. There's an old POS golf kart sitting out front of one of them I've had my eye on for awhile.. LOL

RD

Sports Valley was around until the mid to late 90's if memory serves.. If anybodies interested.. LOL

RD
Sports Valley was operated by Jack & Shirley Barnes back in the 60's. They had 3 smokin hot daughters :D Carolyn, Virginia & can't remember the oldest one's name, they all went to HS in Parker. Mike Dyer just finished the 4 HUGE condos and the big cement dock. If you see some old fart standing on that cement dock this summer, with a ski line & skyski, with a thumb out, stop & pick me up if you're headed up-river :D drop me on the AZ side, I can float back :thumbsup

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
I remember it all to well. One of my best and oldest buddies found the love of his live in there. They've been married almost 32 years now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sports Valley was operated by Jack & Shirley Barnes back in the 60's. They had 3 smokin hot daughters :D Carolyn, Virginia & can't remember the oldest one's name, they all went to HS in Parker. Mike Dyer just finished the 4 HUGE condos and the big cement dock. If you see some old fart standing on that cement dock this summer, with a ski line & skyski, with a thumb out, stop & pick me up if you're headed up-river :D drop me on the AZ side, I can float back :thumbsup

There's another guy on this board that owns one of those condo's.. He's got a pretty bitchen Wake Setter in the garage. ;) Ya might talk him into giving ya a tow.. ;)

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The last time I was there was the night that Princess Diana was killed in that car crash.(8-31-97)

I had just turned 21 the previous month so that was my first/only time drinking there. The crowd was very somber when the news was rolling in and I always think of Sports Valley and the toon rides from River Land when I see the Diana stuff on the TV.:):beer

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sports Valley was the last place I would'a guess would fold.

Sports Book window, always nice looking girls servers,,a town meeting of some sort seemed to be happening in the North corner,, the food so so, the bar and entertainment great.

It's one place I really miss.

Remember they had the new home raffle each year?

reb939

Reaction score
Great nastalgia picture. Thanks for posting. We're in the condos just down river from the old Sports Valley, looking at the picture it appears that they're just getting started on the condo project.

KING BEE

Reaction score
There's another guy on this board that owns one of those condo's.. He's got a pretty bitchen Wake Setter in the garage. ;)

RD
RD, that would be me. It is actually 3 units and the middle one is for sale. I have to approve the buyer if your gonna be my neighbor. If you are a member here, I might talk Mike into a discount for you. But your gonna have to ask nicely..................

RD, when are you coming up this week? I will be up there tomorrow and launching Thursday @ Springs. Let's have a beer.:beer

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'll be up thursday evening.. Launching early friday morning from somewhere on the southside of Havsu.. Probably the springs or Cat tail.

RD

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I was on the Sports Valley Dart Team 1979-81. Had my Wedding Reception there in 1979. Daughter had her Reception there in 1993.

After Barnes, Don and Dottie Tonkavich owned it, till Don passed away in the early '90's. Then Mike Williams bought it.

The "motel" went condo/apartments in the '70s selling for about $7,500. They were up to $120,000 a few years ago, but now are down to around $60,000.

Most popuar song on the Juke was "You don't have to call me Darlin' by David Allen Coe.

Mike (Dyer) only built 3 homes on the old site. One single for him and 2 connected town houses.

Many memories in that place. I was in tears as they were demolishing it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Used to have ski jumps out front on the water too.
And an occasional event of some sort on the water in front if I remember.

We'll never see anything like this again.
Once it's gone,, it's gone.
Still can't understand why it folded.

KING BEE

Reaction score
I was on the Sports Valley Dart Team 1979-81. Had my Wedding Reception there in 1979. Daughter had her Reception there in 1993.

After Barnes, Don and Dottie Tonkavich owned it, till Don passed away in the early '90's. Then Mike Williams bought it.

The "motel" went condo/apartments in the '70s selling for about $7,500. They were up to $120,000 a few years ago, but now are down to around $60,000.

Most popuar song on the Juke was "You don't have to call me Darlin' by David Allen Coe.

Mike (Dyer) only built 3 homes on the old site. One single for him and 2 connected town houses.

Many memories in that place. I was in tears as they were demolishing it.
When you stand in my kitchen/bar you look right out on the dock just like you were standing/sittin at the old bar. Had quite a few memories there myself w/ the Honcho crew.:beer

RodnJen

Reaction score
Is that just up river from the old Riverland/Kenders Campground. It been years since I've been down there but that what is looks like.

reb939

Reaction score
KING BEE? didn't know that was you. We're next door to you with the Mickey D boat. you know the one that's always waking you up in the mornings when we launch the boat next to your condo....:beer

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Memories ?..................................They had the trophy awards from the ski races at Sports Valley in 1963, I was 16, she was a 39 yr old divorcee :eek: for some reason :hmm by the end of that night I really didn't care that I finished out of the money at the ski races that weekend. In fact, my skiing buddies didn't see me for another 3 weeks :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
When you stand in my kitchen/bar you look right out on the dock just like you were standing/sittin at the old bar. Had quite a few memories there myself w/ the Honcho crew.:beer

The Honcho crew ? would that the Peters family?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Is that just up river from the old Riverland/Kenders Campground. It been years since I've been down there but that what is looks like.

yeah..Riverland is almost directly across from where sports valley was:thumbsup:beer

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Used to have ski jumps out front on the water too.
And an occasional event of some sort on the water in front if I remember.

We'll never see anything like this again.
Once it's gone,, it's gone.
Still can't understand why it folded.

Mike Mack and Mike Murphy put on the ski shows out there. Don "T" was involved in just about everything that went on in the Parker area. The 9/7 hour Enduro, Parker 400, NJBA Races, Ski Races, Chamber of Commerce, County Fair, etc. The brick pavilion at the County Park was named in his honor.

There are a number of reasons that it went under. I don't want to air people's dirty laundy, so I'll just say that Dottie held the paper when she sold it, and had to take it back. There was a lot of improvements needed, especially in septic/sewer, drainage and other issues.

At the price of riverfront land at that time, it was more profitable to sell it for residential than to do the needed work and sell it as a bar/restaurant.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I went to high school with a Mike Dyer. Bellflower H.S. he was class of 76'. Any chances it maybe the same guy. I know he went to Parker back then.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I went to high school with a Mike Dyer. Bellflower H.S. he was class of 76'. Any chances it maybe the same guy. I know he went to Parker back then.

I think it's his Dad.

reb939

Reaction score

Class of '76? I Don't think that makes your Mike old enough...... OUCH that hurt's

KING BEE

Reaction score
Yes that would be correct. Grew up going there with Doug. We both ski raced against each other and grew up together going to school, doing what you do when your hanging w/Big Red......

KING BEE

Reaction score
KING BEE? didn't know that was you. We're next door to you with the Mickey D boat. you know the one that's always waking you up in the mornings when we launch the boat next to your condo....:beer
How is the Mickey D crew doing? Will you guys be around this weekend? KB

reb939

Reaction score
How is the Mickey D crew doing? Will you guys be around this weekend? KB

Doin' fine thanks. We're up for Desert Storm but we'll find some time to drink some of your beer

KING BEE

Reaction score
Doin' fine thanks. We're up for Desert Storm but we'll find some time to drink some of your beer
We will be there tomorrow afternoon w/ Honcho and co. We will be launching from Springs on Thursday morning and be parked in front of the white First Cabin Club rooms @ the Nautical along side the big house boat on the beach. Come have a beer and disco with us on the HB. KB

reb939

Reaction score
We will be there tomorrow afternoon w/ Honcho and co. We will be launching from Springs on Thursday morning and be parked in front of the white First Cabin Club rooms @ the Nautical along side the big house boat on the beach. Come have a beer and disco with us on the HB. KB

excellent!!!

SloWhacker

Banned
Reaction score
Used to have some great ping pong battles there.They did have a table there didnt they?:drunk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

The Honcho Crew roaring along the strip was/is as part of the Parker Character as anything.

THE most memorable boat I think in most peoples minds.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
The Honcho Crew roaring along the strip was/is as part of the Parker Character as anything.

Actually the most memorable boat was the old paddle wheeler that tied up next to Peter's place.

Too bad the owner (not Dougie or anyone in the family) liked his nose candy a little too much.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score

I think Peters pulled Vic Baum in my class back then, him or his brother Don JR. I saw the transom of that boat a LOT :D They ran a "hotboat" circle race at all the ski races and Honcho maybe wasn't the fastest boat running but he'd ALWAYS be up front :thumbsup

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Actually the most memorable boat was the old paddle wheeler that tied up next to Peter's place.

Too bad the owner (not Dougie or anyone in the family) liked his nose candy a little too much.

Ahh yes, good old fashion South American Booger Sugar!

KING BEE

Reaction score
I think Peters pulled Vic Baum in my class back then, him or his brother Don JR. I saw the transom of that boat a LOT :D They ran a "hotboat" circle race at all the ski races and Honcho maybe wasn't the fastest boat running but he'd ALWAYS be up front :thumbsup
It was Vic Baum. Do you remember Bob Young?

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
It was Vic Baum. Do you remember Bob Young?

Name doesn't ring a bell, my last race was in 1967, got drafted, got out an ski racing was at the bottom of my list of things to do ( youth IS wasted on the young) Last time I saw the Peters was at the branding iron restaurant in Parker, they were with Gary & Kathy Steele. What year were you racing ? who pulled you? Still the FUNNEST thing I EVER done in my life ! BAR NONE

KING BEE

Reaction score
Name doesn't ring a bell, my last race was in 1967, got drafted, got out an ski racing was at the bottom of my list of things to do ( youth IS wasted on the young) Last time I saw the Peters was at the branding iron restaurant in Parker, they were with Gary & Kathy Steele. What year were you racing ? who pulled you? Still the FUNNEST thing I EVER done in my life ! BAR NONE
That is the year I got into racing w/ my dad. He pulled me, DB 660. We raced until 1981. He and my stepmother were killed in our company plane. 10 days before the nationals in San Diego. We finished 2nd top boat that year, battled with Gary Steele to the Men's Open finish of the last race of the year for 1st/2nd place. Couldn't do it after the accident. He was the only driver I ever skied behind. 5 regional championships/1 national championship skiing behind him. 6 x's Catalina Ski Race. Without question, the best years of my life until I had kids!

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
The most memorable boat on the strip for me was the Big Bend - Chevron barge or the Sundance / half sunk pontoon...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The most memorable boat on the strip for me was the Big Bend - Chevron barge or the Sundance / half sunk pontoon...

The pontoon has now sunk down to the bottom of the outboard motor.
I'd like to buy and re-store it.

triangleman

Reaction score

I agree...seems it was running on kil all day long, every time we were there.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The pontoon has now sunk down to the bottom of the outboard motor.
I'd like to buy and re-store it.

That picture I took was from last October. Like you said as of a couple weeks ago It's now resting on the prop now. Cowl almost completely covered.

I am sure it could be bought but it ain't worth much now. Those Johnson's were good OB's in their day.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That picture I took was from last October. Like you said as of a couple weeks ago It's now resting on the prop now. Cowl almost completely covered.

I am sure it could be bought but it ain't worth much now. Those Johnson's were good OB's in their day.

I'm thinking that the rot, corrosion / decay may be beyond restoration.

Getting it out and on a trailer might be a bit of a pita too.
Hate to just drag it out of the slip and it go under.
Gonna take some thought and prep.

Would re-engine/and rigging with a 4 stroke and put some comfortable seats and a bar on it.
Floating history, and may end up being the last relic of the place.

D

Deleted Account

I'm thinking that the rot, corrosion / decay may be beyond restoration.

Getting it out and on a trailer might be a bit of a pita too.
Hate to just drag it out of the slip and it go under.
Gonna take some thought and prep.

Would re-engine/and rigging with a 4 stroke and put some comfortable seats and a bar on it.
Floating history, and may end up being the last relic of the place.

We did the interior in one of the twin OB toons for Sundance. The owner would fly into Corona airport, I'd pick him up he'd run through the boat and then fly back out. That was a L-O-N-G time ago. Maybe '89-90...:hmm

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Parker ad3.jpg
sports valley 1969.jpg

I was at Mikes today and noticed this photo on the table.

20191221_113533.jpg