WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spain to invest $13 billion to build microchip industry

jet496

Reaction score
And why the hell is the US not doing this. Damnnn, we are one weak ass nation anymore.

The Spanish government has announced a $13.2 billion investment plan to convert the country into a major producer of microchips and help reduce the dependence of Spain and the European Union on other suppliers

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
And why the hell is the US not doing this. Damnnn, we are one weak ass nation anymore.

The Spanish government has announced a $13.2 billion investment plan to convert the country into a major producer of microchips and help reduce the dependence of Spain and the European Union on other suppliers
I was gonna say, I think the couple that are being built in Phoenix right now are more than that in themselves.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I’m confused about your comments.

When it comes to foundry countries we’re #3 in the world. Arizona is literally the epicenter of semiconductor manufacturing for the United States. Biden’s administration is about to drop 50 billion to more or less incentivize further domestic production.

jet496

Reaction score
I’m confused about your comments.

When it comes to foundry countries we’re #3 in the world. Arizona is literally the epicenter of semiconductor manufacturing for the United States. Biden’s administration is about to drop 50 billion to more or less incentivize further domestic production.
This is the first I heard of it. Good to know.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I was at Intel D2 Fab in Santa Clara for 17 years until they closed our fab in 09. My old roommate works at Intel fab32 in chandler.
It’s huge. Most semiconductor fabs are overseas now.

rrrr

Reaction score
Texas-Instruments-has-30-dollar-earmarks-for-New-Chip-Factory-in-Sherman-Texas.jpeg

Texas Instruments is making a huge bet on chip production. These new plants will make 300 mm (11.8 inch) single crystal silicon wafers and microprocessors.

Last week's Dallas Morning News:

Texas Instruments breaks ground in Sherman, commits to $30 billion and four chip plants

An hour north of Dallas, where the D-FW area’s urban sprawl gives way to fields, Texas Instruments is building a massive facility with major implications for the U.S. economy.

At a groundbreaking Wednesday for two of the four potential factories it has planned for the site, TI president and CEO Rich Templeton reiterated the company’s commitment to building all four plants.

TI says the first factory will begin producing tens of thousands of 300mm wafer semiconductor chips daily in 2025. The second will remain a shell until demand justifies bringing it online.

“We’ll continue to build those out based on demand,” Templeton said. “Building that second plant [now] will reduce the lead time construction-wise so that when the market gets hotter, we can ramp up that second facility.”

The cost of the entire campus is estimated at $30 billion — the single largest capital investment the state of Texas will have ever seen from a company. Two dozen football fields could fit on the land that will eventually support the high-tech manufacturing plants. The development is projected to ultimately create 3,000 jobs and could be a boon for the Texoma-area economy.

“You are going to play a role in making Texas the leading chip manufacturer in the United States of America,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said at the ceremony Wednesday.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, sent a recorded statement, and Sherman officials made remarks as well.

“TI has solidified Sherman’s status as the high-tech hub of North Texas,” Sherman Mayor David Plyler said.

In recent months, the federal government has said that limited supplies of semiconductor chips have bottlenecked manufacturing of highly sought-after goods, chief among them new vehicles. The U.S. Department of Commerce dubbed the issue a significant factor contributing to the record inflation frustrating Americans. A Biden administration-backed $52 billion plan to subsidize chip manufacturing in the U.S. passed the Senate in late March.

In public statements, President Joe Biden has positioned strengthening domestic computer chip production as essential to America’s independence from China.

Demand for semiconductor chips is increasing globally as products evolve their computing capabilities, requiring even more chips in each individual unit than in previous history. A new vehicle today requires 150 computer chip components or more, according to Kelly Blue Book.

Chipmakers like Dallas-based TI have been cautious about bringing too much supply online while facing exceptional pressure to ramp up production, and to do so in the U.S., where industry can gain greater control of supply chains that have historically sourced parts from foreign countries. TI considered putting the four-factory campus in Singapore before ultimately cutting a huge tax incentive deal with Sherman and choosing to locate the plants in North Texas.

The Texas Instruments campus under construction in Sherman spans an area equivalent to 24 football fields..“Being able to get some leverage out of the significant investments that we’ve gotten down closer to Dallas really ended up making [Sherman] the right choice,” Templeton said.

To the south in Richardson, TI anticipates bringing production online later this year at a new state-of-the-art chipmaking plant named RFAB-2 that has been under construction for the past two years. A recently purchased plant in Lehigh, Utah, will also begin contributing chips this year.

Strife in other parts of the world is still causing pain for TI, even as it races to get new chip-producing plants online. The company recently told investors it would take a 10% hit to revenue in the second quarter due to COVID-19 lockdown policies in China. TI has seen suppliers purchasing fewer chips as the country’s “Zero COVID” policy has shut down manufacturing plants.

Templeton said that the difficulties facing the company’s customers in China has continued, and that TI’s projected hit to revenue remains unchanged.

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Lol. Arizona is the chip capital of the USA and one of the biggest in the world. Intel works 3 shifts and is not stop expansion. We are light years ahead of Spain

caribbean20

Reaction score
As a nation, we are totally beholden to Taiwan for semis. Anything that can mitigate that risk is OK in my book. Not a fan of government involvement, but we are where we are.

rrrr

Reaction score
Meanwhile, in California:

Guaranteed Income Pilot Program Overview

As part of the Fiscal Year 2021-22 budget agreed to by California’s Governor and the Legislature, the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) will oversee a guaranteed income pilot program.

Guaranteed income pilot programs traditionally provide unconditional, individual, regular cash payments intended to support the basic needs of the recipients. The budget for the pilot program is $35 million (General Fund) over five years.

What is the Guaranteed Income Pilot Program?

The California Guaranteed Income Pilot Program was established to provide grants to eligible entities for the purpose of administering pilot programs and projects that provide a guaranteed income to participants. The department will prioritize funding for pilot programs and projects that serve California residents who age out of the extended foster care program at or after 21 years of age or who are pregnant individuals. Guaranteed Income projects can also address benefit and eligibility impacts through the inclusion of “benefits counseling” – empowering participants to make informed decisions.

2Driver

Reaction score
The 5 chip factories being built at Carefree highway and I17 in N Phx is a medium size city. Last time I went by I counted 15 plus massive sky cranes and countless smaller ones.

Historically, the chip industry is a cycle of huge boom and huge bust. These will all be online in time for the bust

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
The 5 chip factories being built at Carefree highway and I17 in N Phx is a medium size city. Last time I went by I counted 15 plus massive sky cranes and countless smaller ones.

Historically, the chip industry is a cycle of huge boom and huge bust. These will all be online in time for the bust
I met a guy out on BCT riding bikes. He’s a iron worker from Colorado. He’s working out there. 8 years....that’s a big deal.

He also told me most of the “RV cities” poping up out in the near desert are workers for the project

2Driver

Reaction score
I met a guy out on BCT riding bikes. He’s a iron worker from Colorado. He’s working out there. 8 years....that’s a big deal.

He also told me most of the “RV cities” poping up out in the near desert are workers for the project

We saw the RVs last weekend. That makes sense, glad they aren’t homeless squatters. Good luck making it through the summer in those. Wonder where their black tanks are going. Let me guess.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
We saw the RVs last weekend. That makes sense, glad they aren’t homeless squatters. Good luck making it through the summer in those. Wonder where their black tanks are going. Let me guess.
Exactly, kinda pisses me off.

Till then, I figured they were folks that sold their homes at the top of market, waiting for prices to recede.