WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Space flight... so bad ass

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’m fascinated with space and flying, together or separate, I think they’re both one of mans greatest achievements.

I’m 39 years old. It’s a real possibility in my lifetime, and most of you as well, that we’ll get to experience what it’s like to not feel Earth’s gravitational pull. Think about that for a second.

It’s mind blowing what we as a country have been able to achieve in a tiny fraction of time.

It wasn’t that long ago, for me anyways, that I was watching astronauts take off from Florida while we watched on television in elementary school. Rockets with names like Discovery, Enterprise, and Columbia. I was amazed every damn time but it didn’t seem plausible that ordinary folks like us would ever get the same opportunity that John Glenn, Neil Armstrong or a Sally Ride got.

It’s closer now than ever.

Anyways... I saw this commercial and it got me thinking. Riding one of these rockets through the atmosphere sounds like one hell of a bad ass experience.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Word is Space X wants to be on Mars in the mid 2020's and already has a list of people signed up for the ride to start a colony. Sounds like some Sci-fi shit but it's legit and one of the main driving forces behind Space X's aggressive R&D and launch program. One way ticket to Mars and they are not shy about the fatality rate being pretty high. But still have a nearly endless list of qualified people ready to go.

https://www.space.com/34234-spacex-mars-colony-plan-by-the-numbers.html

Did you watch that show on The History Channel about this exact plan. It was half documentary on the plans and half drama that takes place when the launch is a go and how it would go made like a tv show. Interesting show and idea.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Very cool. I had never heard of masterclass before but it looks neat. Might have to sign up.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Word is Space X wants to be on Mars in the mid 2020's and already has a list of people signed up for the ride to start a colony. Sounds like some Sci-fi shit but it's legit and one of the main driving forces behind Space X's aggressive R&D and launch program. One way ticket to Mars and they are not shy about the fatality rate being pretty high. But still have a nearly endless list of qualified people ready to go.

Did you watch that show on The History Channel about this exact plan. It was half documentary on the plans and half drama that takes place when the launch is a go and how it would go made like a tv show. Interesting show and idea.

Ya, it’s pretty wild. Every single person within the colony is a master at some sort of talent needed to keep the colony sustainable and grow.

It’s more likely than not that an individual will die trying. Some people have zero fear of it.

Saying goodbye forever to your friends and family. Knowing that the second you leave the launch pad you’ll never again be an earthling. The very place you were raised and grew up is no more. It’s definitely some Christopher Columbus type shit.

I’m not all about that Mars craziness but it would be rad to jettison to space for a few hours, take a look around, and then be eating a typical home cooked meal later that night watching the baseball game on your couch.

I’d probably sit on my patio for a few hours that night looking up and reflecting on my trip in the solar system hours earlier.

That’s awesome lol

Tank

Reaction score
Ya, it’s pretty wild. Every single person within the colony is a master at some sort of talent needed to keep the colony sustainable and grow.

It’s more likely than not that an individual will die trying. Some people have zero fear of it.

Saying goodbye forever to your friends and family. Knowing that the second you leave the launch pad you’ll never again be an earthling. The very place you were raised and grew up is no more. It’s definitely some Christopher Columbus type shit.

I’m not all about that Mars craziness but it would be rad to jettison to space for a few hours, take a look around, and then be eating a typical home cooked meal later that night watching the baseball game on your couch.

I’d probably sit on my patio for a few hours that night looking up and reflecting on my trip in the solar system hours earlier.

That’s awesome lol

From what I've read the mortality expectation is pretty grim. The "Mars 1" mission plan expects to send 4 to Mars to start to colonize but they don't expect them to live LOL. NICE!
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/11/mars-one-death-mission-delayed_n_4424300.html

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
We are truly in amazing times. I have been a space geek my whole life (well and Dinos), many nights spent stargazing and talking with friends about the abyss.

Many people I have met in my life cannot really converse about the vastness of the Universe we live in, it's too terrifying for them to grasp how tiny and insignificant we are in the Cosmos.

Myself I have dreamed about space travel....but damn...a one way ticket is some serious bizness! Glad there are others out there who find it their calling!

Personally if it does not have a fucking lake for my boat, I am not going there haha! :)

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Just spent a week at Astrocamp with my kids school and the Spacex/Tesla accomplishment has really sped up the space exploration. Some crazy realistic things are coming soon. They estimate personal space travel within 10 years. They want commercial travel into orbit to shorten flight time. Los Angeles to Africa in 4 hours.:)

checkrd past

Reaction score
work for composite company trying to finish up the crew capsule for boeing.had an astronaut visit for a pep talk Eric Boe is his name . It was a major freaking great Q and A session . He s in que to go up in the Boeing capsule or Space X capsule.

checkrd past

Reaction score
Many people don't realize that this great country has no means to put a man in space and have to hitch a ride with russia, THANKS OBUMMER

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I understand the fascination but what a fuckin waste of money and time.Maybe just keeping people employed but other than sending up satilites there is really no need for me to pay taxes for it.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

I posted here in another thread that this week I bid the fire sprinklers for the new BFR building that SpaceX is building at the Port of LA for the Mars project. Its a 80k square ft. building that is 110' high. No columns. Steel beams are huge. The offices and restrooms are all portable buildings. The plans show 200k of expansion. If there going to make 2020 they better hurry and start building. :D

Tank

Reaction score
I understand the fascination but what a fuckin waste of money and time.Maybe just keeping people employed but other than sending up satilites there is really no need for me to pay taxes for it.
Taxes? Space X, Virgin Galactic, Space Ship 1, Mars One are the leading deep space exploration companies. All privately owned and paid for. I'm guessing they think it's worth it for whatever reason. NASA is publicly funded and on a shoe string budget. They not much into "exploring" now-a-days.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sitting at the river and looking up at stars thinking....

It's endless?

How can that be? How is it possible there is no end to what's out there? Endless??

It's mind fucking boggeling to me. It has to end somewhere, right?

I can only sit there and think about that for so long till i have to go make another drink!

Endless? Really?

I hope someone gets to do some star trek and see what IS out there someday.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Taxes? Space X, Virgin Galactic, Space Ship 1, Mars One are the leading deep space exploration companies. All privately owned and paid for. I'm guessing they think it's worth it for whatever reason. NASA is publicly funded and on a shoe string budget. They not much into "exploring" now-a-days.
Ever seen there shoestring budget?Fuckin stupid money spent each year that could go to cleaning up THIS country.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Yup, people these days don’t understand what’s happening in space. NASA is basically done and everything is private. The fact that SpaceX didn’t explode is incredible. No one wanted to put a Kit Kat on it. Instead you got a Tesla in orbit forever with a go pro on it, a test of a space suit and 2 booster rockets to simultaneously land 10 ft apart without any remote controls.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score

It's endless?

How can that be? How is it possible there is no end to what's out there? Endless??

I can only sit there and think about that for so long till i have to go make another drink!

Endless? Really?

There are rocks in all the time exploring.Shit there are rock at the beach here too.:eek:

saucedaddy

Reaction score

It's endless?

Endless? Really?

Look up MACS or ICARUS!
Farthest known star... 5 billion light years away. Shit, even Pluto got exposed & down graded his tiny ass.:)

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Ever seen there shoestring budget?Fuckin stupid money spent each year that could go to cleaning up THIS country.

Averages 15 billion a year. But you have to remember that most of that money is sending and dealing with current satellites, research and development, military, planes, all kinds of crazy shit. It's not just "we're spending money to go to another planet" shit. Like I said, NASA is out of that game.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Averages 15 billion a year. But you have to remember that most of that money is sending and dealing with current satellites, research and development, military, planes, all kinds of crazy shit. It's not just "we're spending money to go to another planet" shit. Like I said, NASA is out of that game.
19.1 billion was the last I saw and they were trying to get 20+.If creations need to be made the private sector can handle it.Satillites should be paid for buy who ownes them only and take a look sometime at the breakdown of the budget.

nowski

Reaction score
Hey Chris Hadfield, can you teach me how to play the guitar??? In Space...

Tank

Reaction score
19.1 billion was the last I saw and they were trying to get 20+.If creations need to be made the private sector can handle it.Satillites should be paid for buy who ownes them only and take a look sometime at the breakdown of the budget.

It's all relative and thinking in extreme terms is extreme (as in, take all the money and put it elsewise) NASA has its place and historical benefits are undeniable. Since 1958, the total budget for NASA doesn't even amount to half of the U.S. yearly budget for 2018. The average is 15 billion a year but you're right, it's 19 billion this year but if you consider inflation this years budget is the same as it was in 1963. It also equates to half a percent (.05%) of the total national budget. It's no small amount of money on face value but big picture is a different story and if you read up on say, the international space station, what it's achieved and what it costs to run, you'd see the budget is really a shoe string budget compared to the cost of doing business (the 19billion can't even sustain the cost of the space station) and yes, before you say it, I'm not 100% against just getting rid of that and the cost, but there would be a scientific loss to our country. I'm not trying to take away from your point of view, I get it, I am just of the opinion that it (science and research) serves a purpose that has bettered and does better this country.

"space travel" has turned to corporate America and has huge private funding and that's fine and actually great because the budget allotted for NASA will never get it to the point Space X and the likes have obtained. Those companies are in business to make money obviously and see the future of big income in space travel. But as far as science and research for the betterment of mankind (which has always been a staple for NASA) that needs to continue in my opinion because you won't see that from corporate involvement. Maybe as a bi-product but not as the mission as it is with NASA.

Last edited:

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
It’s awesome!
You should see some of the technology I have played with over the years, you wouldn’t believe me if I could tell you.
But it’s some smart algorithms that have been created by some very intelligent people.
It’s all a snow ball now, and we will see leaps and bounds every year!
Hold on or jump off, your choice, things are gong fast in the tech sector...it’s too much and I wish they would slow it down sometimes. Hard to keep up with it all

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Buddy, we are all gonna die one day, many of us not very dignified.

Brian

We are truly in amazing times. I have been a space geek my whole life (well and Dinos), many nights spent stargazing and talking with friends about the abyss.

Many people I have met in my life cannot really converse about the vastness of the Universe we live in, it's too terrifying for them to grasp how tiny and insignificant we are in the Cosmos.

Myself I have dreamed about space travel....but damn...a one way ticket is some serious bizness! Glad there are others out there who find it their calling!

Personally if it does not have a fucking lake for my boat, I am not going there haha! :)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Look up MACS or ICARUS!
Farthest known star... 5 billion light years away. Shit, even Pluto got exposed & down graded his tiny ass.:)

Think about that for a minute.
The light we see from distant stars is that old. When we use space placed telescopes like the Hubble we are seeing, basically, back into time itself.
With the new telescopes being built we will be able to see back into “time” to within 100 million years of the Big Bang itself. I think that’s about 13 billion years?
There’s a lot of complicated math that escapes most people (me included) that compensates for the accelerated expansion of the universe itself.
The light itself is being “stretched” as expansion is never ending.
As we look further, we see further into the past.

For example, when we see an episode on our own sun, it is about 8 minutes old by the time we see it with our eyes. With telescopes we reduce that lag in time.

When we see into the farthest reaches of space, we can see back literally billions of years into time weighted events.
This enables scientists to understand our universe and its creation.

I don’t think a dime of money slated for space exploration, man or unmanned, is ever a waste of money in any way.
In fact I think it is essential for the continuation of mankind.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
8961249C-78C7-494D-B65F-2515CB3576F8.gif
Our Galaxy, the Milky Way.
We are roughly where it says “suns location”

See that graph that says “10,000 light years”?
That’s how far light travels in a year.
Our sun is eight minutes away at the speed of light.
To truly conquer space travel, we will have to travel at MANY times the speed of light.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
For example, when we see an episode on our own sun, it is about 8 minutes old by the time we see it with our eyes. With telescopes we reduce that lag in time.

The telescope is gathering the same photons that are hitting your eyeball...?

The speed of light is a hard limit and can’t be reduced unless space-time itself is folded, which is theoretical at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The telescope is gathering the same photons that are hitting your eyeball...?

The speed of light is a hard limit and can’t be reduced unless space-time itself is folded, which is theoretical at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are right.
I misspoke.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
You guys dreaming about this shit cracks me up.Total waste of money and the private sector could do it for far less.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Its a free country. He doesn't like it, I get it. By why the constant negative posts? Mooooove along then.

Brian

We’d still be in caves if everyone thought like KDog.
Even so we are still the “short bus” of the galaxy.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
But you’re on a boating website where our hobby is very expensive and is centered around a rapidly depreciating floating asset. Probably the worst investment an individual could make lol

As well as the fact that if not for “dreamers” boats and engines wouldn’t exist.
Pushing the boundaries of technology and exploration is what got us to where we are at. Good and bad.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
As well as the fact that if not for “dreamers” boats and engines wouldn’t exist.
Pushing the boundaries of technology and exploration is what got us to where we are at. Good and bad.

I think imagination is an awesome trait and I push it with my kids. Americans have done what we do because we’re a very imaginative population. The glass is usually half full from our perspective.

I don’t have to agree with a viewpoint but I can appreciate each and every one of them. Unless your a Democrat lol (I kid I kid).

Space, to me, is like diving in the ocean. It’s uncharted territory and literally a different world. Everything you see is a new experience but weightlessness would be a wild sensation, for an hour or two at least.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Kdog, I like your skills! You should slither down to the P&G and give it a whirl? ;):)

Really mansauce?
Headhunting the lounge on a Saturday morning?!
I know the S7 is suffering, but damn I had no idea how bad.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Really mansauce?
Headhunting the lounge on a Saturday morning?!
I know the S7 is suffering, but damn I had no idea how bad.
Wasn't trying he just popped up. I'm recruiting for your squad, it looks like an infirmary down there!:(

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
But you’re on a boating website where our hobby is very expensive and is centered around a rapidly depreciating floating asset. Probably the worst investment an individual could make lol
Got it and have owned one before.I made the choice to buy it and spend my money,not the government.Huge difference.;)

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Kdog, I like your skills! You should slither down to the P&G and give it a whirl? ;):)
We need to concentrate on painting streets white here then go there and do it.Fuckin stop watching star trec,it was make believe.:DReally it was.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
We need to concentrate on painting streets white here then go there and do it.Fuckin stop watching star trec,it was make believe.:DReally it was.
Everyone is entitled their own opinion, that is for sure.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
As long as every country involed have been doing this nothing but nothing has been found yet.Teck side yes but having a motel 6 in space is a waste of time.19 billion is a fuck load every year.

Nothing?