WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So my Quad fails smog test----WTF now?

2Driver

Reaction score
Dont ask why they smog a rec vehicle like a quad that gets about 200 miles a year but they do and I failed it.

Failed the Co ( running rich) what can you do with an EFI Polaris Quad to lean it out? I put in fresh gas, air filter was clean. It only has 330 miles on it. :grumble:

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Since when did they (who?) start doing this?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Odd...usually these things run lean from the factory.

If you google the following terms together, a bunch of results come up:
polaris EFI runs rich

pronstar

Reaction score
Since when did they (who?) start doing this?

If your quad/Rhino is plated, some AZ counties require smog checks.

I don't believe it's required if you aren't street-plated.

2Driver

Reaction score
Yeah if you are in maricopa county and want an MC plate for your SXS, Quad or dirt bike and it is 5 years old or older it has to get smogged.

It running perfect but too "rich" according to them for the test to pass I guess.

Odd...usually these things run lean from the factory.

If you google the following terms together, a bunch of results come up:
polaris EFI runs rich

Yeah mostly folks with real EFI problems there. My quad runs perfect. The plug has 300 miles on it and looks like brand new.

Last edited:

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I've never run a moto through emissions, however, a few buds of mine have. I've been told they only check idle. You need to do a few things. First, make sure the thing is fully warm before testing. Second, lean out your idle mixture screw. Third, make sure your idle is not set too high as to not get the carb into the next circuit above idle which is usually a combo of needle and pilot. Finally, I've been told that mixing some isopropyl or ethyl alcohol (I'm not sure which or in what ratio) to pass. You'll have to do some research. Taking these steps, assuming it is not in need of a rebuild, should get you through. :thumbsup

rivergames

Reaction score
If it was me, I wouldn't mess with any adjusting of the bike/quad. I would pull $100 out of my wallet, run down to a smog place in the hood. Wave the bill infront of the managers face and say, can u pass this

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I've never run a moto through emissions, however, a few buds of mine have. I've been told they only check idle. You need to do a few things. First, make sure the thing is fully warm before testing. Second, lean out your idle mixture screw. Third, make sure your idle is not set too high as to not get the carb into the next circuit above idle which is usually a combo of needle and pilot. Finally, I've been told that mixing some isopropyl or ethyl alcohol (I'm not sure which or in what ratio) to pass. You'll have to do some research. Taking these steps, assuming it is not in need of a rebuild, should get you through. :thumbsup

Um, did you read the original posters posts?:headscratch:

Perhaps widening the gap on the plug would help with a bigger burn. :)

dribble

Reaction score
Move out of the leftist commie Arizona to California. You don't and never will have to smog a quad here.

2Driver

Reaction score
I suppose removing the Air filter will just make the sensor counter act and dump more fuel?

One solution is to just get a newer quad. Focking Governments:rolleyes

pronstar

Reaction score
I suppose removing the Air filter will just make the sensor counter act and dump more fuel?

Not unless it has feeback/O2 sensor.
Most EFI setups of things like quads adjust for altitude, perhaps temperature, and little else since they tend to lack O2 sensors.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If it was me, I wouldn't mess with any adjusting of the bike/quad. I would pull $100 out of my wallet, run down to a smog place in the hood. Wave the bill infront of the managers face and say, can u pass this

Are you serious ? do you know what the BAR does to smog techs that get caught doing this now ?
Why would anyone jeopardize their lively-hood for a total stranger ?

rivergames

Reaction score
Are you serious ? do you know what the BAR does to smog techs that get caught doing this now ?

Key word "get caught"

I guess the smog guys in Compton do things a little different than the "nicer parts" of the country.

IMO, it is bullshit to SMOG a quad / SxS / MC... Screw that system and the horse those tree huggers rode in on :rolleyes

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and make them fix what is wrong, it might run perfect but you've obviously got a problem. You'll need them to use the propriatary scan tool to see wtf is going on...no OBD2 on toys :thumbsdown

On the other hand it should be fixed for free if it's only got a few hundred miles on it :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Dont ask why they smog a rec vehicle like a quad that gets about 200 miles a year but they do and I failed it.

Failed the Co2 ( running rich) what can you do with an EFI Polaris Quad to lean it out? I put in fresh gas, air filter was clean. It only has 330 miles on it. :grumble:

I'm gonna guess you meant CO, and not Co2?

Do you have any mods done to it?

What year is is?

I kinna wanna go with what SB is saying. It could be under emmissions warranty, and the dealer should fix it for free...if there are no mods, and it's a fairly late model machine.

2Driver

Reaction score
LOL I went into the smog office ( they are state run in AZ) after it failed and there is a giant yellow sign saying "NO BRIBS"

I cleaned the plug and removed the prefilter and am going to get it as blistering hot as possible and rerun it in the afternoon.

The quad is to spec, the state just has a vehicle emission level set for road vehicles that some recreational vehicles have a hard time ever meeting. It was never manufactured to be smogged. Polaris couldnt image a government so fucking dumb to do it. :D

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
This thread is all over the map.

A few things that need clarification:

1) The only reason they require smog on any moto here in Maricopa county AZ is IF you are going to run it with street plates. I think its bullshit too but it is what it is.
2) Emissions/smog are all state facilities here. No Jose's Garage type smog places here.
3) What quad are you running through? You say its old, so I assume its carbed. The moto test is very basic and only tests idle. All you need to do to pass is lean your idle mixture screw 99% of the time. Count your turns and put it back after you pass. don't give up so soon.:nono:D

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
LOL I went into the smog office ( they are state run in AZ) after it failed and there is a giant yellow sign saying "NO BRIBS"

I cleaned the plug and removed the prefilter and am going to get it as blistering hot as possible and rerun it in the afternoon.

The quad is to spec, the state just has a vehicle emission level set for road vehicles that some recreational vehicles have a hard time ever meeting. It was never manufactured to be smogged. Polaris couldnt image a government so fucking dumb to do it. :D

Lean out your idle mixture and you will be fine. :thumbsup

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
If its a 4-stroke, turn the screw IN 1/4 turn at a time and wait 10 seconds after each turn until it barely idles, then back it off an 1/8.

It its a 2-stroke, turn the screw OUT and follow same procedure.

DON'T RIDE IT HARD WHILE ITS LEAN. Just let it get warm and blip the throttle a few times to clear out the unburnt fuel. :thumbsup

2Driver

Reaction score
EFI., nothing to adjust.

Just called Ridenow. Service manager said put in AV gas for the test, it will pass then take out the AV gas. Not sure what that will do to the quad. :headscratch:

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I think there was an edit there that I missed or I'm real tired today. I see the EFI comment now but I'm pretty sure that was not there the first time I read it.:D

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Here is the alcohol ratio I was told works:

1 gallon gas to 1/2 bottle ethyl rubbing alcohol

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Or ya could just move out of maricopa county :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dribble

Reaction score

No BAR in Arizona.

dribble

Reaction score

Actually that vehicle was required to meet specs laid out by the USEPA to be certified for sale in the U.S. Also, getting a non cat engine warm past normal operating temp will do nothing.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I think there was an edit there that I missed or I'm real tired today. I see the EFI comment now but I'm pretty sure that was not there the first time I read it.:D

;);)
:)

From my POS T-mobile thingie

2Driver

Reaction score
Well I searched for an hours last night on every forum and site out there and got a lot ideas and contradicting info

So RDP will be the first and only source on the web for this as far as I know::rolleyes

I picked up the phone and called the higher ups at the AZDEQ and they were more than willing to talk to me. So here's what I learned.

1. The EPA forced AZ into motorcycle testing as our air at the time was getting so bad, it was not AZs idea. As a matter of fact the EPA originally wanted us to do lawnmower testing but it got cut from the law.

2. In 2008 AZ legislature passed a bill into law to exempt motorcycles from testing. With the bill passed the final step was to get it signed off by the EPA and they have had our signed and passed bill since 2009. The latest information is that they are now expecting it to be finalized by EPA in March or April of next year 2013. Which means no more quad and bike testing.

As for me the only sure way to pass the test with my efi quad is to run avgas for the test with the quad at full operating temp. After all the reading this seems the best route and I am going for it this afternoon. If that fails ill get the offload plate and wait until April

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So if it's not meeting emissions that it's supposed to...you are going to flub the test instead of making the dealer fix it while it only has a few hundred miles on it?:headscratch: Let me know how that long walk from the back country works out for ya when it quits in a few hundred more :D

dribble

Reaction score
Well I searched for an hours last night on every forum and site out there and got a lot ideas and contradicting info

So RDP will be the first and only source on the web for this as far as I know::rolleyes

I picked up the phone and called the higher ups at the AZDEQ and they were more than willing to talk to me. So here's what I learned.

1. The EPA forced AZ into motorcycle testing as our air at the time was getting so bad, it was not AZs idea. As a matter of fact the EPA originally wanted us to do lawnmower testing but it got cut from the law.

2. In 2008 AZ legislature passed a bill into law to exempt motorcycles from testing. With the bill passed the final step was to get it signed off by the EPA and they have had our signed and passed bill since 2009. The latest information is that they are now expecting it to be finalized by EPA in March or April of next year 2013. Which means no more quad and bike testing.

As for me the only sure way to pass the test with my efi quad is to run avgas for the test with the quad at full operating temp. After all the reading this seems the best route and I am going for it this afternoon. If that fails ill get the offload plate and wait until April

How long have I been ranting that the USEPA is responsible for all of the draconian smog measures that all states with areas that don't meet clean air standards have to implement. The reason that California does not test motorcycles is because we made other concessions that were accepted by the EPA in the SIP (State Implementation Plan). We did not want anything to do with motorcycles in the program and had a pissing contest with ARB (who wanted it of course) over it.

California will now be pioneering an OBDII only test for model year 2000 and newer vehicles. By the way, this was accomplished based upon the data received during the roadside and remote testing that everyone was afraid of. The roadside testing showed that OBD II vehicles that passed tailpipe continued to run clean unless there was a problem in the OBDII system, therefore tailpipe testing was found to be unnecessary for these vehicles. The tailpipe failure rate for a model year 2000 or newer vehicle is less than 2%. BAR takes such a hard line on illegal smogging because the roadside test data then would indicate the need for a more restrictive program (which then would have been required by the EPA.

Two years ago BAR dropped the development of a new emissions analyzer in favor of OBDII testing only. The EPA has accepted this in the California SIP.

This is good for everyone. $20.00 smog checks will come back with no worries of tailpipe failure.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
What was the readout value for the CO on the az smog printout? It is a very generous amount allowed. I have idle test passed old XRs etc.. I agree with the rest who are saying you should be able to pass with a properly idling EFI motor.

2Driver

Reaction score
What was the readout value for the CO on the az smog printout? It is a very generous amount allowed. I have idle test passed old XRs etc.. I agree with the rest who are saying you should be able to pass with a properly idling EFI motor.

It was 6.14 against a 5.5 standard. Polaris 500 and 800's are known for normally failing. They run extra rich when cold and it goes away when real hot. last year I got a different Polaris quad passed simply by sitting in the summer scorching heat with it in line at the smog facility.

Trust me their is nothing wrong and it's not supposed to meet any standard so Polaris will just laugh at you.

Its like taking in my Tundra and telling Toyota something it wrong as it gets way worse mileage than my wife's Prius. ;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
well the good news is that you are really close... On a carbed motor I went from 8ppm to 2ppm with just bumping the idle jet up. I would put AV gas in it and come into the station screaming hot with your hair on fire and it should pass.. its 24 bucks? for that I'd gamble that and give it a try, at 3 in the afternoon not 7 in the morning..

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Running AV gas makes no sense. Why? CO is a by product of combustion. Incomplete combustion produces more CO. AV gas, due to its incresed octaine rating (slower burn), SHOULD produce even More CO and a higher HC. Now, have I ever increased octaine, while watching the emissions on a 5gas analizer? Nope. :p I'm just kinna going by what logic dictates.

Now the alcolhol thing Does make sense. Less HC (raw gas) going in, should produce less CO coming out. You would have to know someone with a 5gas analizer (old smog machine), or dyno with an A/F probe, to get the real results.

I'm courious how this turns out. Please update this thred when you find out! :)

pronstar

Reaction score
On a well-running engine, the only way to reduce CO2 is to reduce the amount of fuel burned.
Hydrocarbon combustion produces C02 and H20
(In reality we get other crap as well, because we don't burn it on pure oxygen, and the combustion process in the cylinder is incomplete)

If the motor is rich when cold, and leans-out a bit when warm, then that should take care of the problem, methinks :thumbsup
So I'm also interested in seeing how AV gas plays out...but it will be hard to tell if it helps or not since that's not the only thing you're changing (you're also testing it with the motor piping-hot).

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
6% rich is waaaaaay to rich. It was either cold or you got a real problem. You should be seeing 2-3% on a well tuned EFI motor without a cat.

JMC

Reaction score
Have you tried a hotter spark plug? I know it can help a bit if you have a weak cylinder and trying to pass. I would try a hotter plug and fill it with 87 oct.

Or maybe a colder plug and 93 :)

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
The av gas from reading is supposed to lean you out. I don't know. It did, but I am still 5.8 and need to be at 5.5 ..... so frickin close. So they failed me again. The dealer said you have done everything we would do with the exception of running some injector cleaner for a gallon or 2. The machine was hot and the electric fan was blowing to,cool it down so I know I was warm.

Thanks for all the input. They are doing away with testing bikes and ATVs in April. I have current decals from an old mc plate i no longer have. I am thinking of just putting them on the quad for a few months and seeing if I can squeak by. Wonder what the fine is.

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Lol your local dealer is a turd. You probably have a temp sensor out or a misadjusted Throttle Position Sensor, possibly a shorted or faulty Oxygen Sensor. Take it back to them and tell them it's running rich...it's brand new for christ's sake! You should really get this fixed now while it's under a warranty...and free:thumbsup