WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sleep Number

HitIt

Reaction score
Wife wants a sleep number bed. I am not completely sold on them. Any experience with them?

We have a 10 year old Ortho that has to go. The thing is so sunk in where we sleep, it feels like you have to climb out.

Reactions: TPC

MSum661

Reaction score
Don't know about the Sleep Number, but went test driving mattresses not to long ago and jumped on a Tempur-pedic adjustable with the built in masaagers.
Couldn't drag myself back off it. Crazy comfortable.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We love our Sleep Number bed but we both like our beds fairly firm. We have friends who sold theirs because he liked it as firm as he could get it and she liked it soft (Feel like I am describing something else here) and it created a gap of sorts between the two of them. He was a few inches higher than her on the bed.

We wouldn't get rid of ours for anything.

mbrown2

Reaction score
We just bought one...only slept on it one night before leaving town...it was very nice. I was not sold on them either ....think they are very proud of their brand the way they price them.

We went with the P6, fully split eastern king, flex fit 3 adjustable base. Time will tell....we are coming from a Westin Heavenly Bed mattress that lasted 7 years...and still feels good. We had the heavenly for 7 prior and they replaced it after 7 years cause it was sagging a bit ...gave us a brand new one.

I will let you know in 30 days how this one does.

Enen

Reaction score
Check out Tuft and Needle beds. They are a fraction of the cost of a sleep number bed. You could visit the Caribbean with the $$ you save.

MSum661

Reaction score
Check out Tuft and Needle beds. They are a fraction of the cost of a sleep number bed. You could visit the Caribbean with the $$ you save.

They're not bad. Bought a Cal-King for the guest bedroom. Shipped right to the front door.

spectracular

Reaction score
Wife had a sleep# growing up...eventually got the black mold growing inside the air bladder. Turns out it was not an isolated incident.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I love my Sleep Number. I don't have the one where both sides can recline up and down. Not sure what model it is, but both sides can be adjusted for firmness/softness. Best money ever spent.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have an Ortho that has to go too.
We're looking at the Beautyrest, but want to check out the Sleep Number too.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
we have our king sleep number and the guest room has one as well. its great for guests because some like a soft bed, some like hard. :) plus for us i sleep face down and i need to sleep on a rock. wife wants a cloud. no other bed would accomodate both of us.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We have an Ortho memory foam that is going on 10 years old and it is a queen. We really want a cal king but it isn't broke so we just keep rolling with it. When it's time I will go with a Sleep Number or a REM. Seems like the REM is a better price at about $3800 for the cal king.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
We have a sleep number bed. Best model they had. Got an amazing deal in San Diego through mattress discounters. They had a best price guarantee. Looked at a bed elsewhere that was a delivery return that they offered us a deal on. Just didn't like the used factor. Told mattress discounters about the number they offered and they beat it on a brand new one.

We absolutely love it. I sleep with mine on 100 and the wife is like 50ish. I also enjoyed the tempur-pedic, it was a heavy mattress though that just didn't breath and always felt hot. The warranty service has been great. We had the pump replaced as well as both air mattresses. The air nipples broke off at the hoses when we disassembled them to move and they had to replace the entire air mattress. Bad design.

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
We just bought one...only slept on it one night before leaving town...it was very nice. I was not sold on them either ....think they are very proud of their brand the way they price them.

We went with the P6, fully split eastern king, flex fit 3 adjustable base. Time will tell....we are coming from a Westin Heavenly Bed mattress that lasted 7 years...and still feels good. We had the heavenly for 7 prior and they replaced it after 7 years cause it was sagging a bit ...gave us a brand new one.

I will let you know in 30 days how this one does.

Same here... We just bought the I8, hoping for good things, especially with my back.

checkrd past

Reaction score
I flattened alot of quality beds in the past I weight 285, bought the sleep # 15 years ago and loved it ever since,I go firm for awhile than soft, and it never goes flat like foam beds

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My mattress is completely f*cked, we need to go shopping for one. Its hard to get excited about the thought of dropping 3-6k on a mattress. Its like putting nrakes and rotors on your car....no performance gain, no excitement

Cray Paper

Reaction score
it's about time to replace or bed and keeping an eye on this thread. 3 - 5K for a mattress seems retarded but if it lasts 10+ years and helps with sleeping it's worth it. The last one we bought was 13 years ago, right after my back surgery. Way to soft for me, not soft enough for my wife. My wife insisted on a memory foam mattress in our TT, that things kills my back in one night of sleeping.

Keep the reviews coming!

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
We have a Cal King sleep number, Love it! I'm a 65 the wife is a 45, Can't do that with a standard mattress.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
We've liked the sleep numbers when we have been in hotels that had them, but we have a beauty rest black series that is hands down the best mattress for us.

It's going on 7-8 years old and has no measurable sag in it.
I hit the scales at 225+ and this is the only mattress I've owned that can stand up to my chaotic sleep habits.

It says 20 year guarantee against a 1" or more sag and I am starting to think it's going to win!
I don't know what sleep numbers cost, but the beauty rest was around 3K or so all in.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Tried the sleep C2 as it was rated high in Consumer Reports. The bed is basically 2 air mattress with a piece of foam that divides the two bladders, and thin piece of foam on top. Even with both bladders filled the same you will feel the soft spot in the middle from the foam separation piece. You will also slide off the edges as the foam pieces that make up the perimeter are not very stiff. Wife and I worked with the company to try to improve our experience. The company sent out a thicker foam topper but we still did not like the feeling of the mattress. Ended up shipping it back for full refund minus the cost to ship it back. So save the boxes during your trial period.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Just bought a kingsdown yesterday at SnS will be sleeping on it tonight, wanted a airloom but didnt want to shell out the dough. Felt pretty good went with a firm with a pretty solid warranty i was happy.

Iman

Reaction score
I have a I10 with every option. I would buy it again in a heartbeat but without the sleep iq option, it's kinda useless.

HitIt

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. We were supposed to go mattress shopping this weekend but went to the beach instead. My wife woke up with a sore neck and my back feels jacked this morning. Definitely time for a new mattress.

Sounds like the Sleep Number is a love/hate thing so I guess I will have to check em out. Lots of dough for something that seems so similar to a $40 air mattress but whatever. Might take a while till we figure out what we want but I will update this thread with our findings for those that are curious.

Thanks again.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
http://www.ocmattressking.com/

I wish I would have used this guy before I bought my Cal King. I went directly to Diamond Mattress Warehouse and it was under a grand. Better than retail. But there was a thread here on RDP recommending OC Mattress King. We used him to buy a queen for our guest bed.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting a sleep number also. The thing I like about them, is if something does fail, you can replace that one part, not a whole new mattress. Is the air chambers will never develop a valley.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There's a chain of hotels that have sleep number beds but I'm not sure which it is.
Oh, it's Radisons Hotels. Not all but many. Go give it a full go-round with the wife for the night there.[emoji106] [emoji99]

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. We were supposed to go mattress shopping this weekend but went to the beach instead. My wife woke up with a sore neck and my back feels jacked this morning. Definitely time for a new mattress.

Sounds like the Sleep Number is a love/hate thing so I guess I will have to check em out. Lots of dough for something that seems so similar to a $40 air mattress but whatever. Might take a while till we figure out what we want but I will update this thread with our findings for those that are curious.

Thanks again.

We have had ours for 14+ years and it is still functioning perfectly. They are basically two separate air mattresses with high density foam around the sides and a strip down the middle to separate the two mattresses, this limits the affects of one mattress having more air in it than the other. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go. A good nights sleep is priceless.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Is the sleep number for homes anything like the ones in motor homes? Those things suck. Every motorhome we have we take out the sleep number and put in a regular mattress.

HitIt

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a Sleep Number P6 mattress. Damn this thread! Haha

When do you get it? That is one of the models I was considering. Let me know what you think after you sleep on it.

I still need to get out and test ride a few. Haven't had any time yet. In the mean time I have been considering grabbing a serrated knife from the kitchen, cutting the shitty pillow top off our mattress, and replacing it with a memory foam topper. Wife thinks that is a bad idea but I figure if it doesn't work out, we can just get the camping gear out.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Had one and ended up hating it. Not uniform and the perimeter has no support. It was a gimmick for ~ 2 years but I never adopted to it. Went in the guest room and eventually out the door.

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
When do you get it? That is one of the models I was considering. Let me know what you think after you sleep on it.

I still need to get out and test ride a few. Haven't had any time yet. In the mean time I have been considering grabbing a serrated knife from the kitchen, cutting the shitty pillow top off our mattress, and replacing it with a memory foam topper. Wife thinks that is a bad idea but I figure if it doesn't work out, we can just get the camping gear out.
Should have it in 3-4 weeks.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Saw this in Canyon Country on Sunday.... :D

casper.jpg

nameisbond

Reaction score
I worked for a competitor to Sleep Number. We manufactured for Simmons Beauty rest..... Sleep Number also had to go through us to buy the air chambers, we had a patent on air beds.. I like them and since my company is no longer in business. Id buy a Sleep Number bed.

Willow Rat

Reaction score
Had mine trouble free for over 10 years.

I liked it so much I put one in my RV. Now I sleep great on campouts.

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a sleep number as well but i can tell you what if you dont have the MY PILLOW best 50 bucks i ever spent amazing pillow absolutely love it

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Is the sleep number for homes anything like the ones in motor homes? Those things suck. Every motorhome we have we take out the sleep number and put in a regular mattress.
Yup.....exactly the same sentiment here as well!!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a sleep number as well but i can tell you what if you dont have the MY PILLOW best 50 bucks i ever spent amazing pillow absolutely love it
Got a My pillow and hated it. I like a very hard pollow and it wasn't even close.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Freekin LOVE our Sleep Number bed. I basically go into a coma every night. I've never slept so well.

We bought their expensive ass pillows too. Totally thought it would be a waste, but Mr.DB wanted to. Turns out, they are SO worth it.

20180416_123509.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Had mine trouble free for over 10 years.

I liked it so much I put one in my RV. Now I sleep great on campouts.
Yup.....exactly the same sentiment here as well!!

Funny we have one in our MH and love it!! We were sleeping so well (might also be all of the drinking!) when we camp that we thought about getting one at home.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I don't have a Sleep Number but I've been told they are "only good for firm and soft" - nothing in between since the chambers are either filled or not. Does that sound right to you Sleep Number users?

In regard to My Pillow - the guy on TV, owner, is a very interesting guy. If you don't know this you'll probably be surprised to read it...he was a crack cocaine addict! Good for him that he beat it and pursued his dream and is a big success (and a conservative).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-of-the-mypillow-man/?utm_term=.93bc3b5b57fa

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
We have had a Sleep number for over 12 years, love it, sleeps like the day we bought it 12 years later. My only problem is that I want the new 10 thousand dollar fully adjustable model now.

I agree that you need to like a medium to firm style mattress because the lower settings are just "not inflated" soft, not truly soft...

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Well,
My water bed got destroyed by the movers.
A good nursing friend of Erika's told us about Brooklyn Beds in Phoenix.
I ordered a Cal King that fits perfect in the old water bed frame.
I spent a couple of hours on the phone and web sight to insure we ordered the correct bed for us.
It is perfect for us. I have always been bothered by hotspots on my hips and shoulders.
This mattress has delivered thus far.
YMMV

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
We have had a Sleep number for over 12 years, love it, sleeps like the day we bought it 12 years later. My only problem is that I want the new 10 thousand dollar fully adjustable model now.

I agree that you need to like a medium to firm style mattress because the lower settings are just "not inflated" soft, not truly soft...
And maybe that's whey we can't get comfortable......we keep ours around 45 - 55.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Wife wants a sleep number bed. I am not completely sold on them. Any experience with them?

We have a 10 year old Ortho that has to go. The thing is so sunk in where we sleep, it feels like you have to climb out.

I had a Sleep Number mattress some years ago.

What I liked about it was that you could change the firmenss of it at will, and some nights I needed it real firm, others not so much. That was really nice feature

What I didn't like about it is why I got rid of it.

1) It was too light in terms of weight. It would move around on the bed frame and we were constantly having to re-center the mattress on the bed. There is a cover for the box spring/frame that you can purchase that will help that and put velcro between them to help but it was not a permanent fix.

2) There was/is this memory foam that went between the two air chambers. It had a tendency to get stuffed down between them and you would have to disassemble the mattress to fix it, frequently. I will let your imagination guide you as to how that happened.

Overall, the negatives outweighed the positives and decided that it was time for a temperpedic. Best money I ever spent on a mattress.