WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sky Lift Roof Riser Hardware (Covered Patio)

D19

Reaction score
Has anyone here used these instead of tearing the roof off?

1AC54B25-AF9A-486A-BBBC-3B6290DCC9ED.png

43FC8EF0-EA41-4080-A8BF-4C5DEACC9A85.jpeg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
The vinyl patio cover outfits use something similar. When I built my wood patio cover I opted to cut the eves off of the house to get the slope/height requirements I needed. I never had the thought of needing/wanting/ to remove a nice patio cover and I'll probably sell the house before it comes crumbling down.

Looks like a viable option but I'm not a big fan of how it looks. I'd imagine you are limited in the size/weight of the patio cover using those (fully covered vs not comes to mind).

2Driver

Reaction score
Eeesh, is it just lagged to the deck or do they find a joist? Seems like a lot to ask for for 1 joist or 4 lags in the deck, maybe if you don’t cover the top and leave it open to air flow. Either way it looks funky and bolted on IMO.

I prefer to just drop 2 posts at the roof line

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of weight being placed on a more than likely 5/8" sheet of OSB and or 1 1/2" wide top cord of a truss / rafter. Definitely isn't intended for any snow or wind loads. Sketchy at best unless lots of GWB is removed and the roof structure is beefed up to support.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Eeesh, is it just lagged to the deck or do they find a joist? Seems like a lot to ask for for 1 joist or 4 lags in the deck, maybe if you don’t cover the top and leave it open to air flow. Either way it looks funky and bolted on IMO.

I prefer to just drop 2 posts at the roof line
I looked into and read the site as it was interesting. You cut all the way down to the wall plate and it sits on that. So its not weight on the decking etc.

Having been in solar a long time and having seen a lot of mounting methods I would worry about water intrusion after a few years. The boot is exposed to UV, the elements etc. If it leaks its going to be directly into the wall not a ceiling where its easily detectable. IDK if I would do it personally, but its an interesting mounting method.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
That's some quality electrical work. 🤣
That’s part of the problem with these posts. Doesn’t give you anywhere to disguise the EMT. I’ll opt for going underground to the outside posts and run it there but many homeowners don’t wanna pay for that. I think if I did residential electrical I wouldn’t give them the option. This is the right way, this is the way someone else will do it, not me.

El Rojo

Reaction score
I've been looking at these mounts as well...just worried about potential leaks. I live in SoCal though so might not be a problem...just wonder how this would work on a composite or clay roof?

Reactions: D19

2Driver

Reaction score
I looked into and read the site as it was interesting. You cut all the way down to the wall plate and it sits on that. So its not weight on the decking etc.

Having been in solar a long time and having seen a lot of mounting methods I would worry about water intrusion after a few years. The boot is exposed to UV, the elements etc. If it leaks it’s going to be directly into the wall not a ceiling where it’s easily detectable. IDK if I would do it personally, but it’s nhave the same denim an interesting mounting method.

I have the same situation trying to tie shade to a roof line.

When we were in Kauai of all things the Hertz rental building had a large shade structure coming right off the roof line. They had custom brackets built that tied to the end of every joist end that protruded beyond the facia to connect to a lateral of the shade structure. I may have saved a pic of the bracket. I was pretty cool and clean

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have the same situation trying to tie shade to a roof line.

When we were in Kauai of all things the Hertz rental building had a large shade structure coming right off the roof line. They had custom brackets built that tied to the end of every joist end that protruded beyond the facia to connect to a lateral of the shade structure. I may have saved a pic of the bracket. I was pretty cool and clean
A lot of these kind of structures in HI are made of fiberglass or other composites lightening the load quite a bit. There is a company on Oahu that makes them for a lot of hotel/government/com projects as well as residential. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was one of their deals.

2Driver

Reaction score
A lot of these kind of structures in HI are made of fiberglass or other composites lightening the load quite a bit. There is a company on Oahu that makes them for a lot of hotel/government/com projects as well as residential. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was one of their deals.

I found the pic of the bracket. Im not sure how much load they could take if you tied into 10 of them?

My issue is Id like to tie to the roof but cant and don't have a place for 2 posts for the house side for a gazebo

A93C89C1-7F74-4021-AC15-4DE1A3012FA1.jpeg

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I found the pic of the bracket. Im not sure how much load they could take if you tied into 10 of them?

My issue is Id like to tie to the roof but cant and don't have a place for 2 posts for the house side for a gazebo

View attachment 1197760
Wow, not stamped steel like most Simpson stuff. Appears to be all cut/welded SS plate and would cost you a small fortune to purchase I'm sure.

boatpi

Reaction score
If that is attached to a vent pipe, no engineer would approve that I suspect. We make this for a 2” wide beam , usually a 2” x 8”, used as a leger on a low roof. It is 100% aluminum welded. It is a roof saddle.

You could shim it for different slopes, I think is it for 3/12 roof now. Under $100 for inmates. As an fyi we have the largest patio cover distributor in HI coming online by this summer carrying g 4K Aluminum products.
1B3787BE-6094-454A-8BCF-54579F479894.jpeg

D19

Reaction score
I've been looking at these mounts as well...just worried about potential leaks. I live in SoCal though so might not be a problem...just wonder how this would work on a composite or clay roof?

Looks like the same type of flashing they use for a plumbing vent. Their 12" plug patches look nice. I'm not too worried about leaks but I am wondering how to replace the flashings if/when needed. I'm going to call the mfg and ask a few questions.

D19

Reaction score
That’s part of the problem with these posts. Doesn’t give you anywhere to disguise the EMT. I’ll opt for going underground to the outside posts and run it there but many homeowners don’t wanna pay for that. I think if I did residential electrical I wouldn’t give them the option. This is the right way, this is the way someone else will do it, not me.

You could also run a weather box on the roof and bend pipe from there. No cutting existing concrete and less to look at.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
The best way to conceal wiring on a patio is to router out the top of the joist, run romex from the attic tie in and cover with steel strap.
You'd have to run some kind of conduit, sealtight perhaps from the attic vent to the cover judging from the picture.
How do all you other C-10's do it?