WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shower Waterproofing question

River Runner

Reaction score
I bought a house in april and have been remodeling it. I am finally down to the master bath room. Has anyone on here used Mapei - Aquadefense? I'm thinking about using it looks like a great product that could save a lot of time and money. Any opinions good bad or indifferent?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I bought a house in april and have been remodeling it. I am finally down to the master bath room. Has anyone on here used Mapei - Aquadefense? I'm thinking about using it looks like a great product that could save a lot of time and money. Any opinions good bad or indifferent?

Ask Joker about this. He is the waterproofing guy.

77charger

Reaction score
I am a hot mopper and seen alot of so called replacements.You will spend some good money for tile,marble,etc.Might as well go with a proven method if you want it to last.

The money and time saved doing yourself with an alternative waterproof method may only be short term cause if it leaks and you need to tear it out to redo it will cost alot more.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I am a hot mopper and seen alot of so called replacements.You will spend some good money for tile,marble,etc.Might as well go with a proven method if you want it to last.

The money and time saved doing yourself with an alternative waterproof method may only be short term cause if it leaks and you need to tear it out to redo it will cost alot more.

I couldn't agree more. You are rolling the dice if you do anything other than a hot mop. It isn't worth the risk. I owned a tile & stone company and have extensive experience with this subject

I have a friend who used another product (and another tile guy) on a tiled outside deck...he is now dealing with about 100k in water damage to his 3 year old custom home...and everyone is in court now over it.

If a customer wants to use something other than a hot mop, I either walk away or have them sign a water damage waiver.

sent using Tapatalk

Joker

Reaction score
I do waterproofing, and after a failure of our manufacturers material, hot mop is the only way I'm moving on from here.

rivergames

Reaction score
I hate dealing with mapei. Laticrete is the way to go in my opinion. The laticrete hydroban is one of the best waterproofing for tile on the market.

I have used the hydroban on hotel pools I tile without a leak

HBDano

Reaction score
I did my shower a few years ago with Kerdi water membrane. Easy first time install, no leaks so far. Schluter products are the best. Good website for DIY tile and bathroom stuff is John Bridge forums, and tons of people on there have used Kerdi.

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
Any elastomeric system properly installed with either glass ( 16 oz) or burlap fabric is far superior to hot mop ( hot emulsion) the trick is to get it done professionaly , the hot mop technology is old and proven however in areas of dramatic thermal cycling and in the case of large areas with heavy isolated point loads it fails. I have seen very expensive repairs required do to hot mop failures ..... if you don't catch it soon especially on elevated wood structures the dry rot can lead to structural failure.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I still hop mop my showers and roofs but no longer use it on decks. Here is a deck I redid where hot mop failed. Deck was only 8 years old. It had slope and drain issues which was the main problem but would of held up with one of the new deck coating systems we use.

I think alot of installers are trying other options as they do not have a cooker to use or there insurance wont cover hot mopping. Most of the time I see a hot mop job fail its because the tile installer shot his staples through it:bash:

Attachments

• deck 017.jpg
    deck 017.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 125

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
yea thats typical nice picture....if there is a track of them you should send post cards up and down the street you will be busy for a while.......