Keymyster

Reaction score
Sad deal. Met her a couple times at car shows. Very nice girl. :(

renodaytona

Reaction score
Super bummed sad day in the motorsports world, she was a bad ass. RIP Jessi :(

RaceTec

Reaction score
Bummer and super nice lady... She went doing what she loved... R.I.P.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad to read. Very talented woman and left the world too soon. RIP

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
RIP to a great and daring young lady. Doing what she loved and was meant to do....

Jessi-Combs.jpg

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Wow, That's so sad.:( I was just watching an old Overhauling show she was on.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
There is something to be said about leaving this world in a manor like this. Her youth never left her. She was a living legend for young girls on wheels...and always will be that legend.

RIP
:(

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Such a sad deal. She’ll leave a hole in the off road community for sure not to mention Motorsports in general. RIP Jessi [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
So bummed, RIP Jesse. She accomplished much more than many and inspired even more. Thanks

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
So sad....I had the chance to meet Jessi a couple times and she was a great ambassador for women and Motorsports in general.

Godspeed :(

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Oh man how sad. I always enjoyed watching her on the shows..... RIP Jessi.... :(

Last edited:

renodaytona

Reaction score
Anyone know how it happened?

From the Jalopnik article:

Yesterday, while attempting to beat her own land speed record, the 52,000 horsepower jet-powered car driven by racer, fabricator, and television personality Jessi Combs crashed in the Alvord Desert in Oregon, killing her, as local news reports. Combs was 36 years old and held the title of “fastest woman on four wheels” after breaking 398 mph in that same North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger in 2013.

4Waters

Reaction score
So sad, badass, talented and beautiful woman. :(

guest hs

Reaction score
From the Jalopnik article:

Yesterday, while attempting to beat her own land speed record, the 52,000 horsepower jet-powered car driven by racer, fabricator, and television personality Jessi Combs crashed in the Alvord Desert in Oregon, killing her, as local news reports. Combs was 36 years old and held the title of “fastest woman on four wheels” after breaking 398 mph in that same North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger in 2013.
Yah I have read all that Im just wondering what failed to cause the accident.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Really too bad...RIP young lady...you did it your way...

rrrr

Reaction score
Yah I have read all that Im just wondering what failed to cause the accident.

If a mechanical failure caused the accident, it'll be almost impossible to find it. There's not much left when a 400 MPH upset occurs. However, loss of control is more plausible, perhaps cockpit video survived and will help understand what happened.

RIP to an accomplished fabricator and racer.

sirbob

Reaction score
Was she just out trying to set a record or was this a meet or event that had others also running?

I don’t know jack about land speed records but after talking about Bonneville recently, it made me wonder if there is a speed record “ Circuit” the racers follow ?

9988541B-C22A-4FA0-91C5-DAA28E2094C9.png

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Loved her on Xtreme 4x4, Mythbusters, and Overhaulin... truly a unicorn of a woman. What a kick in the nuts. RIP

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
What was awesome about Jessi, is that she did manly things without being competitive with other males and she still looked and acted feminine. She’ll be missed.
RIP Jessi.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
There is no circuit per se. Like NASCAR etc.
Single-use BLM permit for the attempts.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I don't know about track conditions for her. The car itself had gone much faster than she had taken it. That said, it was not a new build. I don't know what, if any, modifications were done to the actual airframe itself. I'm sure there was a ton of engineering wizardry that went into adding wheels, and making it a ground based vehicle. The truth of the matter, it's racing. Things can go wrong, and at that speed, they happen fast.
I think all of us that have been around racing kind of envy those that die racing. Like a warrior in battle. What would you rather do, go out in a blaze of glory, or wait for old age and weakness to take you? Yes, I'm saddened by her passing. I feel bad for her family and friends. I know I'd rather read this than any of the other ways people are taken from us.

Like a few have already said,
Race In Paradise

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Spirit of America has the record the fastest crash on land and he walked away and rebuilt the frame in the 1990s. 700ish mph before the Brits took the crown of Mach 1.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I don't know about track conditions for her. The car itself had gone much faster than she had taken it. That said, it was not a new build. I don't know what, if any, modifications were done to the actual airframe itself. I'm sure there was a ton of engineering wizardry that went into adding wheels, and making it a ground based vehicle. The truth of the matter, it's racing. Things can go wrong, and at that speed, they happen fast.
I think all of us that have been around racing kind of envy those that die racing. Like a warrior in battle. What would you rather do, go out in a blaze of glory, or wait for old age and weakness to take you? Yes, I'm saddened by her passing. I feel bad for her family and friends. I know I'd rather read this than any of the other ways people are taken from us.

Like a few have already said,
Race In Paradise

If anyone wants to go down the rabbit hole on the engineering wizardry of land speed cars.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Recognize the scoop, thats the new English challenger...scary, a lot going on just on the propulsion aspect.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
a rocket engine with a fuel pump that is a 5L supercharged V8.
It's truly abstract. Last year I read about it. The piston engine pumps liquid oxidizer into a solid fuel rocket...that way they have some throttle control. Usually solid rockets have the oxidizer built in, once lit they usually burn to completion. I'm pretty sure that is the same car that uses the rocket to build initial speed, and then a turbine to push it faster. It's going to be interesting to see what it does.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
It's truly abstract. Last year I read about it. The piston engine pumps liquid oxidizer into a solid fuel rocket...that way they have some throttle control. Usually solid rockets have the oxidizer built in, once lit they usually burn to completion. I'm pretty sure that is the same car that uses the rocket to build initial speed, and then a turbine to push it faster. It's going to be interesting to see what it does.

My understanding is the jet is to build initial speed, rocket to push it over 1k mph

rrrr

Reaction score
The North American Eagle was built from a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter fuselage with a J-79 turbine. It looks like the running gear was sorta tacked on, and it's way different than the streamliner I worked on and all the others running at Bonneville.

Here's an Instagram post, the parachute attachments are hanging in the 400+ MPH breeze. That wouldn't pass a SCTA safety inspection.

I know nothing more, so I will limit my comments to that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1j8g4_F2UB/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=XWc88gABAAFSFx_B9fvrenYzpGLy

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I don't know much about her but she seems like a sweetheart badass.....RIP

Ol Man

Reaction score
Jessi was a co-driver for a few years for a friend of mine. I was part of the pit crew. She was an awesome person. She moved on to drive for Savvy and did VERY well driving their cars. We lost a really neat person, but she was doing what she loved.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I’ve always been fascinated with the land speed record since I was a kid. Have a lot of respect for the drivers.

Tough to lose to such an amazing person.