WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reverse trailer surge brake lockout

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Anywhere in Parker to pick up a trailer reverse lockout magnet type tool?

My trailer brake wiring is boogered up and the easiest fix is a cheater. Was a pain in the ass backing it up into my storage.

Don’t feel like driving to Havasu in the morning but will if I have to.

wzuber

Reaction score
welding shops? stateline tire? maybe a chunk of solid round bar wrapped with wire and magnetized off the truck battery terminals.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ll probably just use the old nickel or nut trick. Just wasn’t sure if anyone carried the key here.

Thanks RDP

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
If it's a flat 4 or 5 can't you just turn the connection upside-down to back it up?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
If it's a flat 4 or 5 can't you just turn the connection upside-down to back it up?

I did that and it still locked up. It’s easiest with the tool. I had my wife shoving a rock in it while I backed up but she was pissed keeping up lol

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
So what did boat did you end up picking up?

This is the family boat. I’m still on the hunt for a hot rod.

IMG_2756.jpg

yard dog

Reaction score
You can use hex drain plug from your boat , it will fit you can screw the plug right in to place to lock out brakes too back up

Springfield

Reaction score
Grads thinks everything should be upside down, as he is. :eek:
My current boat, trailer would lock up backing, neighbor comes out and ask whaz up. He said turn on your headlights?? Tried it, works every time for me, EXT truck pulling extreme 3 axle trailer. Just don/t ask me HTF.

Last edited:

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
It could be the fuse at main box on truck
Should be a seperet one for towing
Or like said a bolt head and duct tape

DLC

Reaction score
X2
That looks cool and a great idea!

Can someone explain the headlights when you back up deal?

Not sure why that would even matter....

GETBOATS

Reaction score
the blue wire runs to a solenoid, when solenoid closes, "with 12 volts", no brake fluid will travel to calipers. the brown wire coming from you vehicle is the running light wire, connect it to the blue and you no have 12 volts to the blue wire, back up now.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
or better yet, find out why the back up light circuit is no functioning. with std wiring, that's the wire that comes hot when in reverse, energizing the blue wire on you trailer. can be just a dirty connection,

rrrr

Reaction score
X2
That looks cool and a great idea!

Can someone explain the headlights when you back up deal?

Not sure why that would even matter....

The trailer wiring to the reverse solenoid has been combined with the running lights power wire. When the lights are on, the solenoid is energized and dumps the pressure in the brake lines.

I would get this fixed, and now, because the trailer brakes are inoperative at night when the headlights are on.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
the blue wire runs to a solenoid, when solenoid closes, "with 12 volts", no brake fluid will travel to calipers. the brown wire coming from you vehicle is the running light wire, connect it to the blue and you no have 12 volts to the blue wire, back up now.
do NOT do this. you connect the wire to the back up light ONLY. the one inside your tail lights. other wise you have no brakes on your trailer during normal driving.

4Waters

Reaction score
do NOT do this. you connect the wire to the back up light ONLY. the one inside your tail lights. other wise you have no brakes on your trailer during normal driving.
I believe he was only making that recommendation for when you are stuck and need to back up, not as a permanent fix.

rrrr

Reaction score
I believe he was only making that recommendation for when you are stuck and need to back up, not as a permanent fix.

Yep. I've done this when moving a trailer with a five wire plug and reverse solenoid with a truck that has a four prong wiring connector. Turn one of the connectors 90 degrees to the other one and plug the tow vehicle's brown wire to the trailer's blue wire, then turn on the truck's headlights.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Used a Harbor Freight Magnetic telescopic tool end,

Use the mag part, attach a cable, bling it with a color coordinated rubber condom, attach to your tongue

always there when yo need it.... stuck to the bottom of the tongue when not used

Bad Ass!

chaser

Reaction score
I use a 4" C clamp on front part of slide. Keeps brakes from locking up while backing up. 5 sec on an off