WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Procharger on a 454 mag

Cdog

Reaction score
Updated!!!

So I scored a Procharger from a rdp member this week. Killer deal! The Procharger system is set up for a mpi 502. Ive already tracked down a serpentine belt system for the engine assessory drive.

If I can get 600 + ish hp out of this set up I’m pretty happy. Should make a 21 ft Howard RC I/o haul ass.

I picked up a Arizona speed & Marine/Pfaff 600 hp intake, similar to the efi 500/525 intakes but better. These are built to support more naturally aspirated HP. Plans are to modify the intercooler to mate up to the ASM single blade 1100 cfm throttle body. Has anyone done this set up? I bought this intake off a board member who said it supported almost 700 hp on a 540ci.

I need to start looking at hydraulic roller cams as well. Any recommendations or grinds for a blown 454? Looking for a noticeable idle & a power curve that works with the intake. Engine has roller rockers already. I’ll port match & do arp head studs when I swap cams.

I received a harness & mega squirt ecu with the intake but have also been looking at the Holley HP ecu & harness.

For a fuel system I’ll probably go with a aeromotive efi pump. If anyone has a used set up they want to get rid of please pm me.

Pics of intake, valve train & current engine configuration.
E2280B6B-6B60-498D-AC63-DD771BA90AC3.jpeg

FD850F49-3978-4344-BCF5-6208F44ADC43.jpeg

733ED96A-3693-4A74-8E6C-2EA10FEFA0A0.jpeg

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how this goes as I'm considering a procharger for my boat. Do you think it will fit under the hatch ?

Cdog

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how this goes as I'm considering a procharger for my boat. Do you think it will fit under the hatch ?

What kind of rear hatch do you have? The box or a bench seat?

I need to redo my interior anyway so come this winter when I do the tanks and interior I’m going with a rear bench and two buckets. The blower won’t go on the engine until then. I believe the MPI intake set up will have a lower profile than what I have now.

farmo83

Reaction score
I have a Schiada RT and I barely have any room as you can see I had a friend measure the height of a whipple with an EFI setup and it still wouldn't fit. I'd like to try and get some kind of forced induction on the boat but I want it all to fit under the hatch. I'm currently leaning towards just going to a 540, better heads and a bigger cam, if I can get a procharger to work then I would seriously consider it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_100317242.jpg
    IMG_20180610_100317242.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 295240_10100208824012097_2894930_n.jpg
    295240_10100208824012097_2894930_n.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 203

Cdog

Reaction score
I have a Schiada RT and I barely have any room as you can see I had a friend measure the height of a whipple with an EFI setup and it still wouldn't fit. I'd like to try and get some kind of forced induction on the boat but I want it all to fit under the hatch. I'm currently leaning towards just going to a 540, better heads and a bigger cam, if I can get a procharger to work then I would seriously consider it.

Awesome boat. My Howard has similar colors. Is yours a 90’s build? I too want to keep the engine hatch as low profile as possible. It just looks better in my opinion.

The EFI intakes have a lower profile than carbs so thats a plus. I’m playing with the idea of doing a 500efi type intake on it and modify the intercooler to mount directly to the throttle body. This would package everything nice and neat with minimal plumbing and work efficiently. The highest peak on the engine would be the exhaust.

I spoke to Procharger today and they said the intercooler is not directional so welding up the exit and opening up the side going towards the intake would not hurt anything with air flow. Provided I stick with the 1999-2000 mpi serp belt system I should be able to tuck the intercooler right in there.

Heres a pick of the 99-2000 serp belt system.
Procharger.jpg
Procharger2.jpg

IMG_6444.JPG

farmo83

Reaction score
Yep it' a 96. Nice looking boat man. How long have you had it ?

Cdog

Reaction score
Yep it' a 96. Nice looking boat man. How long have you had it ?

Thx!

Less than a year. I bought it from the original owner at an estate sale posted on FB marketplace. Once in a lifetime barn find. It sat since the mid 90’s in a garage and had 154 hours on it. Stoked to have a boat again.

Cdog

Reaction score
Update in OP. Any recommendations on a 454 roller blower cam?

Cdog

Reaction score
Anyone run the crane 731 cam in a 454? How well does it run with 5-7 psi of boost?

sintax

Reaction score
are you planning on turning it closed loop w/o water and then moving it to a open loop for operation??

I'll def be following along on this, I love the mega squirt idea since its so affordable and tunable.

Cdog

Reaction score
are you planning on turning it closed loop w/o water and then moving it to a open loop for operation??

I'll def be following along on this, I love the mega squirt idea since its so affordable and tunable.

Thats my plan. The lighting headers have a O2 bung up high on the port side so fingers crossed it doesn’t get wet. I’ve been speaking to a couple of people about the Holley HP system. I believe it has a self learn I can activate with it as well. Holley makes a ready to go harness and you can eliminate functions too. The guy at Az speed & marine says since the pro charger system eliminates the engine block water pump and thermostat you can program a cold and hot fuel map to make it run better while its cold. At least that’s what I think he said.

I’m trying to put together a junk yard dog used parts engine. HAHA! So far I’ve picked up some cool stuff. If I pick up some heads I might do the cam and head studs. If I cant land a killer deal on heads I’ll probably make what I have work.

Cheers!

69hondo

Reaction score
I have a pro charged 454. Just went through the whole engine. I run a full Aeromotive fuel system.Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer as best my abilities. LOL
20180610_123934.jpg

69hondo

Reaction score
Thats my plan. The lighting headers have a O2 bung up high on the port side so fingers crossed it doesn’t get wet. I’ve been speaking to a couple of people about the Holley HP system. I believe it has a self learn I can activate with it as well. Holley makes a ready to go harness and you can eliminate functions too. The guy at Az speed & marine says since the pro charger system eliminates the engine block water pump and thermostat you can program a cold and hot fuel map to make it run better while its cold. At least that’s what I think he said.

I’m trying to put together a junk yard dog used parts engine. HAHA! So far I’ve picked up some cool stuff. If I pick up some heads I might do the cam and head studs. If I cant land a killer deal on heads I’ll probably make what I have work.

Cheers!

Cdog

Reaction score
I have a pro charged 454. Just went through the whole engine. I run a full Aeromotive fuel system.Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer as best my abilities. LOL View attachment 665811

Oh awesome! I’m piecing this kit together. Any pics of the front assessory drive system would be appreciated. How much boost are you running? What kind of power does it make?

69hondo

Reaction score
The boat is in Havasu and I am heading there in a few hours I will try to remember to take some pictures. I am only seeing about 4 PSI at 4200 RPM. But this is in a big heavy pig of a boat. Supposed to be 600 horse at 5000 RPM. After the engine has a few more hours on it I think I will be changing the cam and remapping the computer to get more out of it. It has a really conservative cam in it now. Make sure you go with bigger injectors.

69hondo

Reaction score
Oh awesome! I’m piecing this kit together. Any pics of the front assessory drive system would be appreciated. How much boost are you running? What kind of power does it make?

We built the shit out of the engine but went soft on the cam because I didn't want to get into the computer yet. Wanted to be sure everything was right before I pushed it. The previous owner took some short cuts that I had to fix.