WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pro touring or pro street car

Booshy

Reaction score
If you were shopping for a BAD ass street car where would you look?

EBay ?
Racing junk?

??

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score

EBay ?
Racing junk?

??
I'm doing the same dance right now. Both of your options produce quite a few options. That said, fock a touring deal! You wanna go around a corner, then buy something modern that is designed to do so! Nothing better than wall to wall tires with a bar poking out between them!

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Prostreet is fun, but has some pretty heavy drawbacks as far as street use. Most serious pro-streeters will lack overdrive...A 4l80 is damn heavy. Short gears can be fun around town, but a bitch for highway driving. Good rear suspension for launches, suck for driveways, as does sidewall give...spools or lockers...all kinds of fun. As for pro touring...don't know much about it. I prefer my cars ill mannered, with big tires and tire scrub while turning. Old habits die hard:) Too many years wanting wheel tubs and such, and then finally able to have them. As far as buying one done, of either breed, I am a fan of seeing the car in person. I'd want to see the car at either Goodguys or an NSRA event. Racingjunk works well, but I'd still want boots on the ground. Too many things can be hidden in pics, even if by accident.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I'm old school I guess. Had a few pro street cars, they handle like shit, but nothing else screams badass. I'll mannered is a good description. Tire rub, dropping axles to change a tire, needs the power to back it up or else its lame...

Pro touring is more comfortable, I guess it comes down to needs/use and preference.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

EBay ?
Racing junk?

??

@bonesfab

I do a Lot of muscle car work. I've seen very few cars over the years that were truly "as advertised".

Your best bet is to have someone build you one from scratch. That way you Know what you have.

I could build you a car, but would send the paint and bodywork out.

Jim can do the whole thing in house.

His work is Truly bad azz...

https://www.instagram.com/bonesfab/

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I do the same thing, browse around for a pro street car. I’d love something I could drive to the track, beat on, then drive home. Racing junk is usually my go to, seems higher quality of cars there.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I've had a couple custom cars, but nothing you would consider Pro Street or Pro Touring. If I've got this right in my mind I would do Pro Touring. Still quicker and faster than anyone needs but handles like a sports car, still has a good ride, and reliable for long trips. Kind of like a new Vette in a slammed 55 or 56 sedan body.:D
After reading a little more, I guess you were asking where not which, oh well.:oops:

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Buying a roller is the easiest and fastest and cheapest way to a pro-streeter.
But just like buying a hot rod boat, you can not expect it to be without flaws or needing something...or many somethings.

I browse the chassis sections all the time. I think Ive finally narrowed my want list down to around 1300 different cars...lol.

Obviously, building one is the way to have the car you want, but what car is that?
The days of finding cheap early candidate cars are gone.

My buddy has a pro street 63’ nova SS.
He laid out around $14k for the candidate car, shipped in from Virginia to AZ. First chassis shop shit the bed on the rear half. Had it redone. After 2 years it was finally done and it is a nice streeter.
Crate motor Big inch small block, R400 I think (Is that right?)
Wall to wall rubber snout and rack.
Your basic drivable pro street slick looking bad boy Chevy.
Only thing missing is the drag chute.
It’s got AC, can drive it up the freeway to Phoenix from Casa Grande, etc. it took a while to get it truly drivable.

I think all in he’s got about $60K in it...he won’t really say.

I know I can duplicate that car (maybe not exactly with a true SS) for WAY less than that, and be more drivable, and more HP, etc by picking up a roller.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Why are they for sale? Because someone is tired of working on it . It is cheaper to buy some one else’s project than start from scratch. Just make sure the project is worth buying. There is some pretty butchered up shit out there. To pay a shop to build one from scratch will start at 100k and go up from there depending on wants and needs. We have built a few.

bonesfab

Reaction score
20D3081B-FAE6-41FF-A89E-46ECE8B6A703.jpeg
FAA973ED-5F8B-4666-ACF3-8FFBD7268114.jpeg
59FE1703-779A-432C-9CAB-49B08D58F4DD.jpeg
8C258D46-C101-48AE-ACB4-6EDBCC84D74E.jpeg
59FE1703-779A-432C-9CAB-49B08D58F4DD.jpeg
64DBE04C-D5E6-4674-8072-77AE86B2A888.jpeg
C8E5928C-2EE1-42C4-878E-CBFBCE9C3829.jpeg

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I've never been a big pro-street fan but have worked on many. To say they handle like shit depends on your perspective. People say new Challengers handle like shit too. Compared to a Vette or Porsche, maybe so but compared to your lifted 4x4 pick up, not really. They handle fine. You're not going to want to go run the Ortega but thousands of pro-street cars have driven across the country to go to the nats with no problems. It's all about the build too. You can build a car with a pro-street look but still do suspension mods to make it handle better.

Pro-touring cars will handle great but you're going to compromise on ride. To me, they're fun but don't really scream bad ass as much as a big tired blower motor car. I'd love to build a flaired out C2 Corvette though.

My recommendation is a compromise between the two. This red '63 Dodge belongs to my buddy Chuck. It's not a pro-street car (not tubbed and slammed) but not a gasser either. 392 hemi with a 5 speed that is a nice driver but still has "the look". This car gets attention everywhere it goes and he has tons of trophies from car shows (if that's your thing).

I'm building my Galaxie to something like this. It is a 390 car with a big cam so has the right sound. Again, not a sports car but has factory Police Interceptor sway bars, spring an brakes.

The Catalina (if I don't sell it first) is going to get built like Chuck's car. Will sit kind of like the yellow car but a little higher all the way around, more like a NHRA Jr Stocker car. It is a 389, 4 speed car but will convert to a 5 speed so I can run 4.10 gears.

I prefer the older full size cars over later muscle cars because they are more comfortable for long drives and aren't a dime a dozen like a Chevelle or Camaro. If you want a common muscle car you can still do a build that has the "bad ass" look but is a decent driver. I'm a 70's guy (class of '74) so I prefer a car that sits like this Chevelle and again, using the right combination of springs, shocks and sway bars you can make them handle decent enough.

027.jpg
IMG_2642.JPG
1964 Catalina 2+2.jpg
14484653_972389979537898_2163861506096797873_n.jpg
14470538_979515142158715_5637842588962163570_n.jpg

Last edited:

bonesfab

Reaction score
Prostreet is fun, but has some pretty heavy drawbacks as far as street use. Most serious pro-streeters will lack overdrive...A 4l80 is damn heavy. Short gears can be fun around town, but a bitch for highway driving. Good rear suspension for launches, suck for driveways, as does sidewall give...spools or lockers...all kinds of fun. As for pro touring...don't know much about it. I prefer my cars ill mannered, with big tires and tire scrub while turning. Old habits die hard:) Too many years wanting wheel tubs and such, and then finally able to have them. As far as buying one done, of either breed, I am a fan of seeing the car in person. I'd want to see the car at either Goodguys or an NSRA event. Racingjunk works well, but I'd still want boots on the ground. Too many things can be hidden in pics, even if by accident.

The blue Camaro I posted is mine. It is a chassis car. But I drive it more on the street than the track. It has been 9.60 @ 145 mph on pump gas. But I drive it to lunch and local shows more. Hell I have taken it to the movies, grocery store, hardware store and the dog park. It has a blown 400 sbc ,th400 and 3.70 gears. It will run 70 down the freeway comfortably. You look at adds for cars and they have a blown big block and 4.88 gears. What’s the point. I would much rather have something you can enjoy on the street than a purpose built race car. And usually if you don’t drive like a schmuck the cops leave you alone.

Booshy

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and thoughts guys.

Nice cars Bones fab. Where can I see more pictures of your work?

Looking for something I can on occasion drive Into town or a car show. I agree with you guys. Pro street is what I want but the older sensible part of me says I would not enjoy it after the fast car luster wears off and the pain in the ass drive ability kicks in.

Decisions decisions.. There is some really cool stuff out there.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and thoughts guys.

Nice cars Bones fab. Where can I see more pictures of your work?

Looking for something I can on occasion drive Into town or a car show. I agree with you guys. Pro street is what I want but the older sensible part of me says I would not enjoy it after the fast car luster wears off and the pain in the ass drive ability kicks in.

Decisions decisions.. There is some really cool stuff out there.

Thanks, here is my website.. Bonesfab.com Also on facebook and instagram under Bonesfab.

bonesfab

Reaction score
The other thing i tell customers is try to keep their expectations in check.. Some want their classic car like their new Bmw. smooth, quiet, no wind noise. Not gonna happen for the most part. You can make them nice but they will never get to that point unless you throw cubic dollars at them. Also a lot of cars that are being sold are 80-90% done. What I mean by that is getting a car running and driving is easy. it is the detail shit that takes the time and patience. I joke around that 80% of the car is only half the battle. the auction cars seem to be the worst.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The blue Camaro I posted is mine. It is a chassis car. But I drive it more on the street than the track. It has been 9.60 @ 145 mph on pump gas. But I drive it to lunch and local shows more. Hell I have taken it to the movies, grocery store, hardware store and the dog park. It has a blown 400 sbc ,th400 and 3.70 gears. It will run 70 down the freeway comfortably. You look at adds for cars and they have a blown big block and 4.88 gears. What’s the point. I would much rather have something you can enjoy on the street than a purpose built race car. And usually if you don’t drive like a schmuck the cops leave you alone.
Love that blue Camaro. If you ever want to sell it let me know.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The other thing i tell customers is try to keep their expectations in check.. Some want their classic car like their new Bmw. smooth, quiet, no wind noise. Not gonna happen for the most part. You can make them nice but they will never get to that point unless you throw cubic dollars at them. Also a lot of cars that are being sold are 80-90% done. What I mean by that is getting a car running and driving is easy. it is the detail shit that takes the time and patience. I joke around that 80% of the car is only half the battle. the auction cars seem to be the worst.

Ha...

My favorite saying is, the last 10 percent of the job takes 90 percent of the work!

The early 70's A body GM cars have the best ride around I think. I built a 71 Skylark with all new Hotchkiss suspension, and that thing rode like a dream. Not a squeek or rattle in it when we were done, but yeah, it cost a few bucks...

This would be the car/chassis I would build if I was building something for me. It almost does have a BMW feel ride.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Neither! Keep old cars old. You can buy a a new Camaro, Mustang or Challenger that looks like 90% of the "pro touring" cars out there.

I'm not some old fart that thinks everything should be stock, quite the contrary but the best part about vintage cars is they are vintage. What's the point making them look and feel like a new car in terms of suspension, interior etc when you can go buy that same car off the lot? Plus Pro Touring and many resto mods etc go out of style so quickly because you are using parts and building them to specs that are popular at this moment. It's always easy to date a car that was built in the 80s, 90s, 2000s. If you build a car to look and feel like it did in the 50s and 60s they never go out of style.

I frickin hate huge wheels and shaved door handles on 60s cars. That trend will go away soon like all the others.

Even guys building 80s and 90s cars like Fox body Mustangs are sticking with what was available for tuning then; 17" wheels, GT40 intakes, etc. 20" wheels just look stupid on older cars.

Of course all my own opinion and do what you like. I like all cars and just love seeing the hobby stick around no matter what. I do however hate when someone chops up a good condition collectible car to put coilovers and 30 series tires on it.

I cant say I hate some of the Coyote 65 Fastback conversions . Especially now that they are using new made bodies and keeping them pretty subdued in terms of looks.

Cdog

Reaction score

EBay ?
Racing junk?

??

Quite a bit of difference between the two. I have been in the PT world for a long time. My cars have been put on hold for a while since I'm too busy racing SCCA right now. Probably going to sell my 67 Camaro and finish my 69. I've ran the run to the coast events with my cousins shop Camaro and I'm an Art Morrison dealer as a side gig.

So where do you live?
What car do you want?
What is your budget?
What is your mechanical ability?

camp_1007_13_o+run_to_the_coast+67_camaro.jpg

port austin pirate

Reaction score
I've never been a big pro-street fan but have worked on many. To say they handle like shit depends on your perspective. People say new Challengers handle like shit too. Compared to a Vette or Porsche, maybe so but compared to your lifted 4x4 pick up, not really. They handle fine. You're not going to want to go run the Ortega but thousands of pro-street cars have driven across the country to go to the nats with no problems. It's all about the build too. You can build a car with a pro-street look but still do suspension mods to make it handle better.

Pro-touring cars will handle great but you're going to compromise on ride. To me, they're fun but don't really scream bad ass as much as a big tired blower motor car. I'd love to build a flaired out C2 Corvette though.

My recommendation is a compromise between the two. This red '63 Dodge belongs to my buddy Chuck. It's not a pro-street car (not tubbed and slammed) but not a gasser either. 392 hemi with a 5 speed that is a nice driver but still has "the look". This car gets attention everywhere it goes and he has tons of trophies from car shows (if that's your thing).

I'm building my Galaxie to something like this. It is a 390 car with a big cam so has the right sound. Again, not a sports car but has factory Police Interceptor sway bars, spring an brakes.

The Catalina (if I don't sell it first) is going to get built like Chuck's car. Will sit kind of like the yellow car but a little higher all the way around, more like a NHRA Jr Stocker car. It is a 389, 4 speed car but will convert to a 5 speed so I can run 4.10 gears.

I prefer the older full size cars over later muscle cars because they are more comfortable for long drives and aren't a dime a dozen like a Chevelle or Camaro. If you want a common muscle car you can still do a build that has the "bad ass" look but is a decent driver. I'm a 70's guy (class of '74) so I prefer a car that sits like this Chevelle and again, using the right combination of springs, shocks and sway bars you can make them handle decent enough.

View attachment 714607 View attachment 714609 View attachment 714610 View attachment 714612 View attachment 714619
Really like the 63 en half galaxies, I actually had two back in the day first was a 390 triple black convert 2nd was 390 fastback all black 3 speed with overdrive, A friend of mine from the Det area used to come up to come up all the time, Dave had a 63 en half Galaxie 500 all black 427/ 425 hp 4 speed I loved that car, He broke 100 mph and hit high 12s with it and it was his daily driver back in the 60s. yours looks great

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Really like the 63 en half galaxies, I actually had two back in the day first was a 390 triple black convert 2nd was 390 fastback all black 3 speed with overdrive, A friend of mine from the Det area used to come up to come up all the time, Dave had a 63 en half Galaxie 500 all black 427/ 425 hp 4 speed I loved that car, He broke 100 mph and hit high 12s with it and it was his daily driver back in the 60s. yours looks great

My daily driver some years back. 63.5 500, 390, Chrome Thunderbird engine kit and three on tree. One wheel peels for days!!! hahaha . wpuld have loved a 427 side oiler car but not in my price range at the time.
20170926_202714.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Neither! Keep old cars old. You can buy a a new Camaro, Mustang or Challenger that looks like 90% of the "pro touring" cars out there.

I'm not some old fart that thinks everything should be stock, quite the contrary but the best part about vintage cars is they are vintage. What's the point making them look and feel like a new car in terms of suspension, interior etc when you can go buy that same car off the lot? Plus Pro Touring and many resto mods etc go out of style so quickly because you are using parts and building them to specs that are popular at this moment. It's always easy to date a car that was built in the 80s, 90s, 2000s. If you build a car to look and feel like it did in the 50s and 60s they never go out of style.

I frickin hate huge wheels and shaved door handles on 60s cars. That trend will go away soon like all the others.

Even guys building 80s and 90s cars like Fox body Mustangs are sticking with what was available for tuning then; 17" wheels, GT40 intakes, etc. 20" wheels just look stupid on older cars.

Of course all my own opinion and do what you like. I like all cars and just love seeing the hobby stick around no matter what. I do however hate when someone chops up a good condition collectible car to put coilovers and 30 series tires on it.

I cant say I hate some of the Coyote 65 Fastback conversions . Especially now that they are using new made bodies and keeping them pretty subdued in terms of looks.
I kind of believe in letting the survivors carry on...I won't be the one to butcher. If the old car needs a floor, quarters or a roof skin...Game on! I primarily mess around with pre-war stuff, so survivors are out of my financial realm for personal use. I like doing period correct 40s and 50s era hotrods. Those are going to be few and far between now. The trend of the high rollers is following their age...deuce coupe dreamers are going away. Good for me in the respect I may actually get to keep one. Bad for me as the cars I like to build will fade away. Last summer I saw a Ford Fairmont go for 6k...a damn Fairmont! It was a drag(ish) car. I don't know what the future holds for cars. I know my last build ended up with an LS. I did the swap because that's what the market seems to want. Like Bones said, people want modern cars with old skins. 15 years ago I did seat heaters and charging ports in a traditional 32 roadster. I did it...but laughed at first. Now it seems fairly common. Bluetooth iPod radios and ECU's are normal things to have to place in kickpanels or under dash. I don't know, will early cars go away completely? Will an 86 Mustang GT be a new hotrod?

bonesfab

Reaction score
Well i am pretty much done with new cars.. way to much depreciation and to much to go wrong.. I have a 1959 Chevy Parkwood wagon that is one of my drivers. it has a blown ls, 4l80e, 9" 4 wheel Wilwoods, full Air ride suspension, Vintage air and modern gauges. My other driver is a 74 Chevy C10 shortbed. It has basically the same treatment as the wagon except it has t-56 trans. They are both a blast to drive. I can work on them. And they are some what appreciating or at least maintaining their value. The other factor is its all a write off through the business for advertising. The old car thing isn't for everyone. They are quirky and take a little getting used to. Plus getting your old lady to go along with program can be a challenge..

bonesfab

Reaction score
I kind of believe in letting the survivors carry on...I won't be the one to butcher. If the old car needs a floor, quarters or a roof skin...Game on! I primarily mess around with pre-war stuff, so survivors are out of my financial realm for personal use. I like doing period correct 40s and 50s era hotrods. Those are going to be few and far between now. The trend of the high rollers is following their age...deuce coupe dreamers are going away. Good for me in the respect I may actually get to keep one. Bad for me as the cars I like to build will fade away. Last summer I saw a Ford Fairmont go for 6k...a damn Fairmont! It was a drag(ish) car. I don't know what the future holds for cars. I know my last build ended up with an LS. I did the swap because that's what the market seems to want. Like Bones said, people want modern cars with old skins. 15 years ago I did seat heaters and charging ports in a traditional 32 roadster. I did it...but laughed at first. Now it seems fairly common. Bluetooth iPod radios and ECU's are normal things to have to place in kickpanels or under dash. I don't know, will early cars go away completely? Will an 86 Mustang GT be a new hotrod?

I agree with the survivor car.. I don't like messing up nice survivors. But if it was a plain jane nothing special, Its game on.. I know of a real 69 Z28 that was cut up and made into a full on drag car.. If they only knew what it would have been worth..

port austin pirate

Reaction score
My daily driver some years back. 63.5 500, 390, Chrome Thunderbird engine kit and three on tree. One wheel peels for days!!! hahaha . wpuld have loved a 427 side oiler car but not in my price range at the time.
View attachment 714673
Yeah, know what you mean about that one wheel burnout, ran my 63 convert at strip traction bars cheater slicks cutouts 3 on the floor hurst shifter open air breather carb mods, no locker burned one tire nonstop ran something like maybe 80 in the 16s. Fun though my 37 was a hellouv a lot faster, Lots of great times at dragstrips back then

4Waters

Reaction score
Oh man...I would love to be wheeling that Vega. The 3/4 frontal shot shows the lineage the Vega shares with the 1970.5 Camaro.

Bonesfab, those cars are just fuggin' unbelievable. I tip my hat to you.

faa973ed-5f8b-4666-acf3-8ffbd7268114-jpeg.714614
You should see his cars in person, I've only seen a couple of those Vega's with the front bumper cut to make it a split bumper, looks badass and correct.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
8E2A66AD-8040-4641-9677-81F93ACDF385.png
I like the drivability of the pro touring style. But I will always have a soft spot for a true pro street hot rod. My bro is finishing up a 66 nova with all DSE suspension under it (DSE actually did the install- SN#2). I’m pretty excited to see him finish the car.

Reactions: DWC

4Waters

Reaction score
My friend, Bill Dunaway is the General Manager there.
You know Bill, cool guy, I've known him since he started at Hawaii Racing, bought a lot of parts from him. (that my wife doesn't know about, LOL) I've known bonesfab since before Bill started at Hawaii Racing, bought a lot of parts from him as well, but that was pre-wife. Small world.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I met Bill many years ago at the SFV street races.

You know Bill, cool guy, I've known him since he started at Hawaii Racing, bought a lot of parts from him. (that my wife doesn't know about, LOL) I've known bonesfab since before Bill started at Hawaii Racing, bought a lot of parts from him as well, but that was pre-wife. Small world.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
How insane is this Javelin..
001_2_.jpg
San Gabriel Valley, probably around 1996(?), a guy named Lonnie had a red one. Big chevy, big front exit fenderwell headers...and BIG nitrous setup. At LACR they did and import vs domestic thing, fastest from each ladder squared off in the final. Can't remember the number, but that red Javelin dropped a full second in the final round, beating some peripheral port chainsaw thing.