WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Preparedness-Boating related

Do you carry a tourniquet or trauma kit on your boat?

• Absolutely! Both! I’m prepared for anything!

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Tourniquet -I don’t want any blood on my boat

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Trauma kit (this is not the same as a first aid kit)

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • No, but I will now

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Nope. Don’t need it. Stupid hurts. Darwinism wins.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • RD SUX

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I saw this video from QC and it resonated with me so thought I would conduct a PSA. Who here carries a tourniquet on their boat? We always have at least one in the truck, but probably wouldn’t have thought it to be something we should have on a boat until now. Thoughts?

Qualified Captain PSA

Last edited:

oldman

Reaction score
I'm not boating in a remote location, And could probably get to shore or make one out of any number of things on the boat pretty quick.

The closest thing in was I stepped on a bottle years ago and was able to pack it till we got back to the dock. 5 stitches later I was good to go.

Glass on boats GGRRRRR

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I saw this video from QC and it resonated with me so thought I would conduct a PSA. Who here carries a tourniquet on their boat? We always have at least one in the truck, but probably wouldn’t have thought it to be something we should have on a boat until now. Thoughts?

Qualified Captain PSA
Note the Link in the first post. I did not see it at first because I am challenged with contrast. Turns out it is fairly common. Qualified Captain PSA Link is Gray. Need to add tourniquet to my EDC. We have the scattered around, but not quickly accessible.

Spot

Reaction score
You should carry a tourniquet wether you know how to use it or not. There are so many off duty first responders in Havasu someone will show up and know how to use it.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Probably more important than having one, is knowing it's use, and the mechanics of them. I carry one in my trauma kit, and the kit goes (well, used to at least) into the boat. That said, stuff may not happen on or near your boat or car. Knowing how to fashion a tourniquet quickly may make the difference in someone's future.

If you're worried about liability, do your work, have someone in their group hold it and hit the bricks.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Yeah we carry a trauma kit that is a duffle bag. Due to the fact my wife is a nurse we absolutely carry one, and we have added stuff to it. Sutures, and tourniquets being a few. I could also see a benefit to carrying quick clot. If you buy tourniquets use a medical site or store. There are "fake" tourniquets out there that are breaking because they are meant for people that do military role play games. They look no different than the real tourniquets.

The shopping page:

farmo83

Reaction score
I carry the first aid kit that was in my dads old boat so most likely from the 70's.

Lumpy

Reaction score

Qualified Captain PSA
I have a First aid and trauma kit…including tourniquet on board always.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I carry one on the boat, rzr, truck and work bag.

The work bag was due to buying a 4 pack lol.

But you never know lol.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I have one (along with a large 1st aid kit) however, I don’t know how good it is and frankly, I need to read the instructions that came with it..

IMG_1516.jpeg
IMG_1515.jpeg

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I don't see why you would need to toss the kit in post #13. I'd change out the tape after a year or two, especially if it's left in the heat of your storage, garage, or boat in the SW. Maybe check the tourniquet every few years. Everything else should last indefinitely.

Now, for a first aid kit, because we have 4 of them, every couple of years I buy the refill packets of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, triple antibiotic, etc. and replace them all at the same time. Usually at the same time that I'm replacing batteries in all of the flashlights, headlamps, and outdoor lights (new years-ish). I change out the bandages/tape in the kits at the same time. There is a lot that doesn't need to tossed, so I see no reason to get a whole new kit.

First Aid medical refills

First Aid antiseptic refills

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I have one (along with a large 1st aid kit) however, I don’t know how good it is and frankly, I need to read the instructions that came with it..

View attachment 1408492 View attachment 1408493
Usually the non medicinal things are good to go for a long time. there are expiration dates on the item some where if it needs it. Like @angiebaby said make going through it once a year part of your program.

For us we go through it bi annually. When we toss it in the boat, and then when we toss it in the toy hauler for the dune season.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in trying to organize an RDP group training for something like this?
https://www.gunsite.com/classes/tactical-medicine-3-days/

Angie and I have been wanting to try out some of the trainings at Gunsite, this might be a good place to start. Maybe this winter season?
There are also some local LHC CPR and basic training opportunities that seem super easy to set up. My CPR cert has lapsed, since I went remote work, I miss out on the free training.

joecfd1

Reaction score
Local guy in Havasu that sells a pretty nice kit. I don't personally know him but we have mutual friends. Website says Temecula but thats old info.

Aces & Eights

Reaction score
Trauma kit. tourniquet, first aid kit are all great things to keep in your vehicle, boat, RV etc…

It would also be a great idea to toss a Narcan in that kit. I don’t go around looking for addicts who are od’ing but I am concerned about seeing someone who is inadvertently exposed to the shit that is out there.