WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pop-up Cleats... Any preferences?

alohajeff

Reaction score
I am in the market for two pairs of popup cleats for my 74' Spectra. Plain finish, nothing fancy. Before I plunk down $$$.$$ on new cleats I'd like to hear some recommendations about what is working and what's not.

The issue I am having is the current cleat positioning causes me to tie the boat too far into the docks on Arrowhead. I am going to need to install a new pair of rear cleats forward of the existing old skool' cleats and install another pair pretty far forward. That way I can pull the boat BACK out of the dock. I've got the orignal center mounted deck cleat that also needs to be replaced, so make that 5 new cleats total. The kids keep smacking that one and I think a new cleat is cheaper than an ER trip. I'm looking for a feet and butt friendly (low profile) design that can still take some abuse. The water can get rough up here on the weekends and currently when tied off in a dock the boat has a tendency to smack the bow.

If you've had a bad experience with a certain type of pop-up cleat I'd love to hear that too.

Thanks!

Jeff

Dettom

Reaction score
I can't remember who makes them, but those stainless one Rex Marine sells are great.. Love mine and never gave me a problem. Don't think they cost too much either.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I have a few popup cleats that came from Rex. They came in a box I found in the bilge of a project boat I picked up a few years ago.

There were two styles there so I put the "H" cleats on my dock. It's nice how they store out of the way so we don't jab our feet into them when we're not using them.

There are some mushrooms in that box too. I wish I could find a use for them because they're pretty cool.

I'm just waxing on about how nice these cleats are. Have you thought about stopping by Rex and browsing?

alohajeff

Reaction score
I was at REX last year and wasn't in the market then like I am now. My commute and the REX location don't ever match up and it requires a special trip. I've seen a few different styles and a few were a real pain in the ass to pop up. When I ask a boat owner about their cleat they say they have no idea, it came with the boat.

I fondled a "cheap" set of questionable origin (China?) cleats and they had some rough edges that would require some Dremel time before I'd install them. With some items it's possible to get an agreement that Brand XYZ makes the best so-and-so and that's what I was looking for from the RDP'ers. I want to make sure I'm getting a decent product. Cool looks don't mean much if the cleat rusts shut. And I hate paying twice as much for something that sucks. :D

Edit... Pop-up apparently = spring loaded. Pull-up = manual version.

Maybe this will help narrow it down... I would assume the push button style is more likely to have a problem versus the pull it up by hand let gravity take it back down variety. If you step on the push button cleat will it pop up? Sit on it? Do the "gravity" style popup cleats clang and bang in their bases when the water gets rough? Another thought... I've got 3/8" lines for my big ass buoy balls and 3/8" line to tie up the boat. A cleat with lots of T area would be nice... if I could get more wraps on the cleat without rope slipping off it'd be nice.

Another edit... Dammit... now I see "waterproofing cups" are available for certain cleats. Some say they require hoses connected to route the water down to the bilge or overboard. How much water do these suckers leak? We will hose the boat off (or bucket loads) on the lake with lots of water to wash sand and mud off the bow. I don't want a bunch of water leaking down inside. This is mushrooming into a bigger PITA than I thought it would be. Are any of these pop-up or pull-up cleats waterproof?

-Jeff

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was at REX last year and wasn't in the market then like I am now. My commute and the REX location don't ever match up and it requires a special trip. I've seen a few different styles and a few were a real pain in the ass to pop up. When I ask a boat owner about their cleat they say they have no idea, it came with the boat.

I fondled a "cheap" set of questionable origin (China?) cleats and they had some rough edges that would require some Dremel time before I'd install them. With some items it's possible to get an agreement that Brand XYZ makes the best so-and-so and that's what I was looking for from the RDP'ers. I want to make sure I'm getting a decent product. Cool looks don't mean much if the cleat rusts shut. And I hate paying twice as much for something that sucks. :D

Edit... Pop-up apparently = spring loaded. Pull-up = manual version.

Maybe this will help narrow it down... I would assume the push button style is more likely to have a problem versus the pull it up by hand let gravity take it back down variety. If you step on the push button cleat will it pop up? Sit on it? Do the "gravity" style popup cleats clang and bang in their bases when the water gets rough? Another thought... I've got 3/8" lines for my big ass buoy balls and 3/8" line to tie up the boat. A cleat with lots of T area shank would be nice... I could get more wraps on the cleat without rope slipping off it'd be nice.

-Jeff

Jeff this is what you are looking for..
http://www.acconmarine.com/

Pop up cleat
http://www.acconmarine.com/p-19-pop-up-cleat.aspx

I prefer the pull up cleats myself. For a 24 Spectra I would go with 6 inch as the smallest (preserving the look of the boat) I had 4 1/2's on Stacy's spectra 20, and they were pretty small once you got bouies on them and ropes etc..

For myself it would be the 6 inch pull ups found here.. Both Rex and Dana sell them.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/G...=4c44696-4f087057-7166-40d5-89d3-28842daab8c1

RD

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
I been looking for some and I think Im gonna go with CP slim line 4.5" blind mount lift up in SS. Seems to be the smallest cleat I can find and there only $50. Anybody use these before ?

alohajeff

Reaction score
This would probably be a little busy underneath but it looks like a pretty cool setup for a different type of boat.

[video=youtube;sw_P-wwE2sI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_P-wwE2sI&NR=1[/video]

Aloha

spectras only

Reaction score
I've put the spring loaded Accon flushed pop ups on all of my Spectras ,but opted for the pull ups for my Mirage. Found the spring loaded ones can get sticky sometimes.This is what the pull ups look .

Pullup%20cleat

The popups are such low profiled it can't be seen in pictures. There's a 4" on the bow of this 19 Spectra.
The advantage of a flushed one mounted on flat surfaces that one will never stab a toe on !

Spectra%2019%20on%20the%20lift

Last edited:

alohajeff

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the info. I spent time on Rex and CP today. CP mentioned that one of the cleats is waterproof, no catch cup or hose necessary. That'd be the preferred product for me as I don't want to trap stagnant water or have to route water away from 5 cleats with hoses. I might build a padded guard on the center bow cleat. The bed is right below it and I'd hate to pop up after a nap and take cleat hardware to the face.

SANO = BUENO

Spectras Only... how do you like the pull-up vs. pop-up version you've got on your Mirage? Your toe comment is exactly why I am wanting to convert over to the low profile cleat. Not really a looks thing... more of a safety thing. I'm really good about watching out for the cleats. But the kids, mom, and a few friends have hurt themselves but have managed to escape major injury. I know if left there long enough somebody will end up with the cleat in their culo or a busted toe.

Thanks again!

Jeff

spectras only

Reaction score
The pop up cleat is almost flushed with the mounting surface , so it's probably the safest.The pullup cleat is rounded and very smooth so I don't see problems with either.If they're in the up position, better watch your steps of course.The pop up cleats need a drain pocket with drainhose to route [ PITA;)] so I'd opt for the pull up model that has the built in "O" ring .My cleats [ 4 of them] are mounted on the side of my boat [ somewhat angled off from vertical ] so drainage is not a concern.Only the bow cleat on the deck is a fixed one .