WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pontoon Boat Restoration - Tips and Fails

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
So I have been boatless for a year or so because I just got over the lower river and bought into the sky is falling theory that the markets were going to crash. Anyways, this year is pretty dang hot, the wife always wanted a pontoon, and I wouldn't mind going to the local lakes (El Capitan and San Vicente...Lake Hodges too when they open back up) this summer and winter....my son and I want an STV or twin outboard DCB/Daytona. This 98 21.4 foot pontoon came up for cheap so I thought I would do a slow restoration on it over the winter and then keep out boat budget free when the right boat comes up.

This toon sat out for a long time, but the engine has hardly any hours on it. 90hp Merc has great compression, starts right up, and pushes this boat to 24/25mph with 3 people and a ton of crap. I'm content with that. The interior is completely hammered so it's towels at the moment. I have a local guy here in Escondido that does interior pretty well for a great price, but I am debating on ordering all new fresh interior as that is about $3300 for a full set and new helm.

The wood floors looked pretty dang good when I bought it, but we noticed a wet spot coming through after about an hour of use so I'll probably replace this winter. There are no soft spots, but I want some new flooring anyways and think that will be one of the easier tasks.

On our maiden voyage, I had a bunk float away so bunk replacement is the first project. Bunk carpet has been ordered, picking up the wood at Home Depot in the morning so I should be posting photos or video next week to show that update. Replaced the tail lights yesterday and have a new winch coming tomorrow so the trailer should be dialed in pretty quickly. Paint is ok, so that's not going to be a priority at all.

I've restored a few boats, but I can tell you already that this will be my last one. I'm already over it.

Projects:

Replace Bunks
Install new railing siding
Install new helm
Either replace seats or have the seats re-upolstered
Install new stereo
Replace wood and flooring

I'm not looking for perfection on this, but a something that isn't horrible to invite friends on.
IMG_2147.jpeg

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Welcome to the club

zhandfull

Reaction score
Following! I’m looking for a reasonably priced 20 year old pontoon. Don’t want a project but will probably end up with one.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Following! I’m looking for a reasonably priced 20 year old pontoon. Don’t want a project but will probably end up with one.
If you would like, I can start posting websites with materials so you can do your research. These things are like legos....pretty easy to work on. Even bunks are easy peasy because you can jack up one side at a time and knock them out.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I see a pontoon as a natural progression of boating. (I would buy the t-shirt)

In my 20's we had a small block flattie, then a 16' outboard followed by a few tournament ski boats into my 30's/40's

Now I'm surrounded by grandkids, a pontoon with a bbq looks like a good boat to have.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I see a pontoon as a natural progression of boating. (I would buy the t-shirt)

In my 20's we had a small block flattie, then a 16' outboard followed by a few tournament ski boats into my 30's/40's

Now I'm surrounded by grandkids, a pontoon with a bbq looks like a good boat to have.

I'm not going to lie, I do like it. I'll eventually end up with a nice one with a big outboard on it, but I'm going to deal with this one for now.

I did notice that the people in the big tournament boats frown upon pontoons. Almost the way I frown upon a Prius as I am driving my big diesel truck so I'm getting a taste of my own medicine. I can't wait to be able to crank country music at volumes that will drown out the rap music guys.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My neighbors did one last year. They stripped it down to the deck. They put on a nice sheet vinyl of some kind. Then all new seats and a dashboard unit too. It turned out pretty nice. It was on the street for few months. Now it is out at Pruitt/Martinez Lake . Easier to order all new seats than pay to get the old ones recovered,

ibelio

Reaction score
overton,s has pre made seats and bench's for pontoons for sale

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So I have been boatless for a year or so because I just got over the lower river and bought into the sky is falling theory that the markets were going to crash. Anyways, this year is pretty dang hot, the wife always wanted a pontoon, and I wouldn't mind going to the local lakes (El Capitan and San Vicente...Lake Hodges too when they open back up) this summer and winter....my son and I want an STV or twin outboard DCB/Daytona. This 98 21.4 foot pontoon came up for cheap so I thought I would do a slow restoration on it over the winter and then keep out boat budget free when the right boat comes up.

This toon sat out for a long time, but the engine has hardly any hours on it. 90hp Merc has great compression, starts right up, and pushes this boat to 24/25mph with 3 people and a ton of crap. I'm content with that. The interior is completely hammered so it's towels at the moment. I have a local guy here in Escondido that does interior pretty well for a great price, but I am debating on ordering all new fresh interior as that is about $3300 for a full set and new helm.

The wood floors looked pretty dang good when I bought it, but we noticed a wet spot coming through after about an hour of use so I'll probably replace this winter. There are no soft spots, but I want some new flooring anyways and think that will be one of the easier tasks.

On our maiden voyage, I had a bunk float away so bunk replacement is the first project. Bunk carpet has been ordered, picking up the wood at Home Depot in the morning so I should be posting photos or video next week to show that update. Replaced the tail lights yesterday and have a new winch coming tomorrow so the trailer should be dialed in pretty quickly. Paint is ok, so that's not going to be a priority at all.

I've restored a few boats, but I can tell you already that this will be my last one. I'm already over it.

Projects:

Replace Bunks
Install new helm
Install new stereo

I'm not looking for perfection on this, but a something that isn't horrible to invite friends on. View attachment 1253711
While yes it is work, I found it somewhat liberating working on my small jet boat restoration project last summer. Repairs didn’t have to be perfect. Just OK, functional and reliable.

Not having to worry about every little thing and keeping it perfectly clean is great.

zhandfull

Reaction score
If you would like, I can start posting websites with materials so you can do your research. These things are like legos....pretty easy to work on. Even bunks are easy peasy because you can jack up one side at a time and knock them out.
I imagined a new interior being 10k or more to replace on a pontoon. Yes, interested in following along on your budget pontoon project and finding out where you are sourcing material.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I imagined a new interior being 10k or more to replace on a pontoon. Yes, interested in following along on your budget pontoon project and finding out where you are sourcing material.
No way. Just drive around the neighborhood and pick up all the discarded love seats and couches left on the street and bolt them down on the toon. If you get lucky and find a sleeper sofa now you’ve got a toon you can overnight on. Just spray it all down with scotch guard to marinize it.

sml

Reaction score
Get the wood off the boat. With all the composite materials available now it’s pretty affordable(flooring,seats,etc). I put together a 20 year old toon awhile back and ended up selling it after using it a season for twice what i had in it

Check out www.pontoonstuff.com

Last edited:

Ducksquasher

Reaction score

Projects:

Replace Bunks
Install new helm
Install new stereo

I'm not looking for perfection on this, but a something that isn't horrible to invite friends on. View attachment 1253711
Let's keep this thread going...I think this is the route we are going.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Let's keep this thread going...I think this is the route we are going.
Will do. I'm going to take my time on this and just do small things at a time since it is a running boat. The aesthetics just blow. To be honest, it was an impulse buy. If I was going to do it over, I would just go buy one that is done right now. Wife won't let me now though.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Get the wood off the boat. With all the composite materials available now it’s pretty affordable(flooring,seats,etc). I put together a 20 year old toon awhile back and ended up selling it after using it a season for twice what i had in it

Check out www.pontoonstuff.com

Thanks a lot...

There goes my day. 🙄😜

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
the problem with trex is it is heavy and non structurual. starboard while still heavy is commonly used for transoms and floors would be a better option and you can get it in 4 x 8 sheets, to my knowledge you cant get trex in sheets.
You should look at WearDeck. It has structural applications but doesn’t come in sheets.

stoker

Reaction score
I finished one a couple of months ago. Everything new from the deck up except for the 25 hp johnson disguised as a Mercury. It was fun building it but I kinda got carried away with all the extras. I sold it two days sfter installing the electric bimini.

Attachments

• 20230407_194652.jpg
    20230407_194652.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230407_192801.jpg
    20230407_192801.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20230407_194001.jpg
    20230407_194001.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20230407_192904.jpg
    20230407_192904.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 131

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
So for a larger 27' - 29' what is a good size motor? Not trying to break any speed records or anything...enough to keep up with "traffic" and pull kids on a tube?

Thanks!

rrrr

Reaction score
Just finished one buy mine it’s done ! 😃
New marine plywood / vinyl teak flooring
New interior from restore pontoon/ pontoon stuff
Powder coated railing
Looks perfect, nicely done.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I finished one a couple of months ago. Everything new from the deck up except for the 25 hp johnson disguised as a Mercury. It was fun building it but I kinda got carried away with all the extras. I sold it two days sfter installing the electric bimini.
Looks very nice! I like the blue fencing.

rrrr

Reaction score
Considering the original marine plywood held up well for 25 years, replacing it with a synthetic material seems like an unnecessary cost. Roll fiberglass resin on the plywood, install, and move on. I assume you don't intend to own it for another 25.

I like the idea of having a nice little underpowered toon to putt around in. Should be a winner.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
My only tip would be to put down vinyl flooring, if you want carpet you can easily add snap in carpet on top. It is so nice not having to worry about wet carpet.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm going pretty slow right now on the renovations, but I changed out the trailer lights because one didn't work, installed a new winch because it's cheap insurance and the old one didn't lock up very hard. I also just got my $50 eBay special 600d boat cover....the custom covers are definitely where it is at, but for the price this one allows me to start doing some interior work. The wood for the bunks is about to get sealed and I am waiting for the bunk carpet. In the next couple weeks I'm going to order the fencing inserts when my wife determines the color she wants. Then it's just furniture until the winter when I redo the floors.

IMG_2293.jpeg
IMG_2299.jpeg

Mike K

Reaction score
One thing I’d recommending NOT to do is polishing out the toons. I busted my butt for about a month getting the toons looking like mirrors … tons of polish and pads and I was black everywhere… so I got it all done and in the very first time I put it in the water I got weird rainbow looking swirls where the water was running past . It looked like crap! So pissed ! All the work for nothing ! The picture below was “before” I put it in the water . Never again !
0F95C97A-D416-4D52-858A-DEE47E304D3F.jpeg

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
If you go high shine, can you apply a clear epoxy or something to the toons?

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
If your seats have plastic bases, as opposed to old plywood, I would recommend having them recovered, rather than completely replaced. Especially if the foam is still in decent shape. It's nearly impossible to find aftermarket seats (Pontoon Stuff, ToonMate, Overtons, etc) that will fit properly. They're either too long, blocking the gates, too short leaving wasted space, or incorrect radius on the curves.

I priced out full seat replacement at Pontoon Stuff but, even with the 10% Discount, was going to be around $4,500 on my 22' Sun Tracker. Estimates for recovering (in Havasu) ranged from $6,000 - $8,000. That's great, but I'm doing a 11 year old pontoon boat, not a channel queen.

Ended up going with Lee's, here in Parker. Right around $3,000, but I saved a bunch by doing the removal and install myself. Depending on where you're located, former residents from south of the border, working out of their garages in Santa Ana or National City could probably rip it out for 2K or less. If you're close (and brave) enough, a trip to Tijuana would get you a respectable job on the cheap.

Image00010.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00001.jpg

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
If your seats have plastic bases, as opposed to old plywood, I would recommend having them recovered, rather than completely replaced. Especially if the foam is still in decent shape. It's nearly impossible to find aftermarket seats (Pontoon Stuff, ToonMate, Overtons, etc) that will fit properly. They're either too long, blocking the gates, too short leaving wasted space, or incorrect radius on the curves.

I priced out full seat replacement at Pontoon Stuff but, even with the 10% Discount, was going to be around $4,500 on my 22' Sun Tracker. Estimates for recovering (in Havasu) ranged from $6,000 - $8,000. That's great, but I'm doing a 11 year old pontoon boat, not a channel queen.

Ended up going with Lee's, here in Parker. Right around $3,000, but I saved a bunch by doing the removal and install myself. Depending on where you're located, former residents from south of the border, working out of their garages in Santa Ana or National City could probably rip it out for 2K or less. If you're close (and brave) enough, a trip to Tijuana would get you a respectable job on the cheap.

View attachment 1257399

View attachment 1257400

View attachment 1257402

View attachment 1257403

View attachment 1257404

View attachment 1257411

I have a guy here in Escondido that does stuff pretty cheap. I need to run the boat over to him for a quote. If you know of anyone in Tijuana, I would use them in a heartbeat. I have Sentri and go down there all the time. I am leaning towards just recovering as I'm going to keep this, but I'm definitely thinking I will upgrade in the not too distant future. The wifey really likes the pontoon life.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
New battery box and bilge pump for the bait tank and sink. Slow moving, but hoping to get a bid for the interior and new bunks installed this week. Not a bad project, but definitely my last one.
IMG_2333.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
My kid putting the sealer on the new bunk boards. Hoping to get them on by next week.

I did pull out some old stereo equipment I had on a shelf to bench test. This pontoon is an extreme budget build and if I can clean out the garage while doing it that is a huge plus.

One of my kids motocross bikes engine blew up yesterday so I may hold off on the interior until the season is over. He has a couple races coming up and I'd rather allocate those funds to the bike than interior that can wait. We have gotten a couple smirks while launching, but I'm seeing boat prices coming down so I'd rather wait to go big into a nice boat.

IMG_2343.jpeg

IMG_2341.jpeg

Jay Dub

Reaction score
My kid putting the sealer on the new bunk boards. Hoping to get them on by next week.

I did pull out some old stereo equipment I had on a shelf to bench test. This pontoon is an extreme budget build and if I can clean out the garage while doing it that is a huge plus.

One of my kids motocross bikes engine blew up yesterday so I may hold off on the interior until the season is over. He has a couple races coming up and I'd rather allocate those funds to the bike than interior that can wait. We have gotten a couple smirks while launching, but I'm seeing boat prices coming down so I'd rather wait to go big into a nice boat.

View attachment 1259930

View attachment 1259932
Do you need or want a table? I have one of those oval tables that is on a post that screw into a base on the deck. Stows away when not is use.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Do you need or want a table? I have one of those oval tables that is on a post that screw into a base on the deck. Stows away when not is use.
I appreciate it, but the wife wants me to remove the one we have.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I would reconsider sealing the bunks. Once water gets in, like through the mounting bolt holes, they won't be able to dry out and they'll rot from the inside out.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I would reconsider sealing the bunks. Once water gets in, like through the mounting bolt holes, they won't be able to dry out and they'll rot from the inside out.
Yeah, I usually put silicone in the holes as I install the bunks. With this weather coming in, I put a hold on the bunks until afterwards.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
So I am really going to hold off on interior until this winter when I can do it all at once. However, I had a bunch of stereo stuff in the garage and started installing. I did have to buy some 6x9's and went with a Russian company called Deaf Bonce as they are cheap, supposedly pretty dang good and super loud. I bought some 6.5's "Arnold's" and really was surprised with the price and quality...the magnet was super heavy and huge for a 6.5.

For $139 a pair, these things are super loud and rock. Not really a good speaker for marine applications as they have a paper cone, but I wanted to see what they would do. The definitely piss off the wife. She said they sound clean, but when she was walking the dog she said she could hear them all the way down the street and I just had them at a lower level.

I still need to get a subwoofer and and install sub's. I think I may install 4 pods at the four corners of the fencing as well, but not sure I need to be that loud. All I listen to is country and really just want to drown out the crap rap music.

Please don't mind the pictures, all the wiring will be redone when the interior gets redone. I know it's pretty ghetto!
IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
My neighbors did one last year. They stripped it down to the deck. They put on a nice sheet vinyl of some kind. Then all new seats and a dashboard unit too. It turned out pretty nice. It was on the street for few months. Now it is out at Pruitt/Martinez Lake . Easier to order all new seats than pay to get the old ones recovered,
Yeah, I'm doing the vinyl myself. I also got some good swatches. Keyston Bros in San Diego is a great place for marine fabrics, carpets and vinyl.

IMG_2351.jpeg

IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2352.jpeg