WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Personal finance and credit card and password Apps?

DaBank

Reaction score
Since most of our life's information is on our phone's....these apps seem that they are useful on putting all our daily information that we need in one location or a few different place's. Does anyone use any of these type apps and if so what ones?

The credit card apps seem to let you know what one of your cards would be the best to use for a purchase for points and rewards?

The password Apps can link all your passwords together and have one master password?

The personal finance apps let you put all your bank accounts,credit cards,investments,retirement together and view them all at real time?

How safe are they? How can you trust that they can't be hacked and if they are ALL your information is in one spot and they have access to everything?

C-2

Reaction score
For password management, RoboForm is my go-to solution, I've been using them for about 10 years or so. There are other free apps too, but RF has been around for a while.

Roboform on an iPhone is awesome - you can use the thumbprint instead of one master password. :thumbsup

On the laptop or computer though, you need to remember the Matser Password since biometrics is not available (thumbprint).

For long and safe passwords, you don't have to get all crazy; a password that you can't remember is considered an "insecure" password.

You take a song riff, say Stairway to Heaven: "If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now" Use the first letter from each word, capitalizing the first letter. (edited I said word)

Like: Itabiyhdban

Then add a few numbers that are unique at the end, llike a 572

So you end up with Itabiyhdban572

Voila, that's a stout little password not likely to be guessed by any robot cracking machine online.

Your RF Mater Password can be even longer, mine is something like 43+ characters long, it's an easily remembered song riff and some other numbers.

C-2

Reaction score
And I noticed a problem with that password - stay away from words that could be written either as one word, or two. hedgerow or hedge row.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I use 1Password across all of my devices. I've only been using it for a year or so.

Wish I'd started using a password app years ago. I haven't used any others but it was rated pretty highly in a few web forums I'm in.

pronstar

Reaction score

I use Mint to track my balances. Looks similar, but Intuit (behind Mint) is a trusted company that I've heard of and used extensively.

While I've heard of Bankrate (behind wallaby) I've never used them for any transactions so have no experience with them.

DaBank

Reaction score
I use Mint to track my balances. Looks similar, but Intuit (behind Mint) is a trusted company that I've heard of and used extensively.

While I've heard of Bankrate (behind wallaby) I've never used them for any transactions so have no experience with them.

I downloaded Wallaby to see how my credit cards stack up against each other.

I also downloaded https://www.personalcapital.com/ and going to see what it has to offer.

I am still up in the air on what password app to use? The two apps above are free, Personal Capital offers investments for a fee and Wallaby offers new credit card links.There are a lot of password apps that are free also, Not sure if i want to go for a free app or a yearly service charge?

pronstar

Reaction score
Look up the reviews for 1Password. No recurring charges, just $20 or so to buy it.

I also use betterment to track investments/fees, and blooom (no app, just a website) to automatically rebalance my investments.

C-2

Reaction score
For the password managers, remember that even though you use one (whicever you choose), do not bypass 2 factor authentication when it is an available option.

There are also different options for 2-factor, such as Authy or even Google authenticator, which are apps that offer one-time pass codes within an app itself. This type of feature is based on a keyfob system where the app generates a one-time passcode that is synced with the service (Google, Amazon etc) every 20 seconds or so. You then "cut" and paste the code. The other delivery option is, of course, a text message/sms sent to your phone.

That being said and for the accounts you enable for 2-factor, even though you use a password manager, you will still be required to perform the second step of 2-factor - entering the sms code texted to your phone, or generated by the Authy/Google Authenticator app. Yes, this is inconvenient, but always remember, security and convenience do not co-exist in computer/network/online security.

Eventually, everything will move away from passwords and to biometrics, which are fingerprints and facial recognition or retina recognition. Some devices like the iPhone and I believe Samsung models already offer thumbprint recognition; and some of the newer laptops offer the facial recognition login.

For password managers, personally, I would not use anything for free or go bargain shopping for a password manager. You never know if the startup companies will be around tomorrow and of they leave, where does your data go? Is their management staff trustworthy in a fire sale, or will they sell your data and later claim it was hacked? Do they have access to your passwords are are they encrypted?

Do your own research, but I know that Roboform has been around since 99, they have never been hacked, they offer three forms of password protection - regular Master Password(something you know), Biometrics(Fingerprint and retina recognition, something you are)) and device authentication (something you have). Those are the 3-Factors to authentication, and they offer all 3. Also, your data is encrypted on their end too - their employees cannot read your data. Price wise, it's the best $20 you will spend per year, ever.

On a Droid I did not use Roboform much because it required me to enter my 43 chracter master password. Remembering the master password is not the problem, but entering it correctly, and several times throughout the day, can be problematic. Using Roboform on iPhone is super simple, no master password needed, your thumprint can unlock your passwords.

If you have to choose a password manager, be sure to get one with the thumbprint authentication, it saves you a ton of headache.

And if you are feeling lazy on your desktop, you can use a Macro in Word or a Macro program to hit a couple of "trigger" keys that will then fill in your master password.

DaBank

Reaction score
For the password managers, remember that even though you use one (whicever you choose), do not bypass 2 factor authentication when it is an available option.

There are also different options for 2-factor, such as Authy or even Google authenticator, which are apps that offer one-time pass codes within an app itself. This type of feature is based on a keyfob system where the app generates a one-time passcode that is synced with the service (Google, Amazon etc) every 20 seconds or so. You then "cut" and paste the code. The other delivery option is, of course, a text message/sms sent to your phone.

That being said and for the accounts you enable for 2-factor, even though you use a password manager, you will still be required to perform the second step of 2-factor - entering the sms code texted to your phone, or generated by the Authy/Google Authenticator app. Yes, this is inconvenient, but always remember, security and convenience do not co-exist in computer/network/online security.

Eventually, everything will move away from passwords and to biometrics, which are fingerprints and facial recognition or retina recognition. Some devices like the iPhone and I believe Samsung models already offer thumbprint recognition; and some of the newer laptops offer the facial recognition login.

For password managers, personally, I would not use anything for free or go bargain shopping for a password manager. You never know if the startup companies will be around tomorrow and of they leave, where does your data go? Is their management staff trustworthy in a fire sale, or will they sell your data and later claim it was hacked? Do they have access to your passwords are are they encrypted?

Do your own research, but I know that Roboform has been around since 99, they have never been hacked, they offer three forms of password protection - regular Master Password(something you know), Biometrics(Fingerprint and retina recognition, something you are)) and device authentication (something you have). Those are the 3-Factors to authentication, and they offer all 3. Also, your data is encrypted on their end too - their employees cannot read your data. Price wise, it's the best $20 you will spend per year, ever.

On a Droid I did not use Roboform much because it required me to enter my 43 chracter master password. Remembering the master password is not the problem, but entering it correctly, and several times throughout the day, can be problematic. Using Roboform on iPhone is super simple, no master password needed, your thumprint can unlock your passwords.

If you have to choose a password manager, be sure to get one with the thumbprint authentication, it saves you a ton of headache.

And if you are feeling lazy on your desktop, you can use a Macro in Word or a Macro program to hit a couple of "trigger" keys that will then fill in your master password.

Thank you very much. This helps me understand what to look for. I was ready to pull the trigger on Robofrom but after hearing about the issue with a Droid. Me and my wife both have Droids and I don't think we are going to switch anytime soon. I want to set my wife's passwords up also but she will not want to type in that long of a password each time on her phone, she is a realtor and is signing into accounts all day long.

C-2

Reaction score
I read the Droid security spec requires authentication, so no matter the password manager, you will have to enter the master password.

I see LastPass offers YubiKey integration, that might be an option too but is something that is decently complicated. Most Droids are NFC (near field communication) so you carry the Yubi Key on your keychain and it works like Bluetooyh does.

Also, nobody says you need a 20 character master password. use whatever you are comfortable with as long as it has a) A Capital letter(s) , b) Number(s), c) Is not a dictionary word or slang term.

That password I put up is simple and pretty damned "strong", remember, your accounts are more likely to fall victim to a data breach, than hacked. Besides, that's why you use 2-factor, ESPECIALLY for your email since if crooks gain access to your any accounts, the first thing they do are password resets - which would not happen if you have your phone in your possession and 2-factor protected accounts.

Check your password strength here: https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

8-23-2016 9-42-58 AM.jpg