WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Panama and Costa Rica

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Any opinions on the safety, political stability, and economies of Panama and Costa Rica?

In other words, if someone were to buy a small hut in a ghetto in one of these two countries, would it be a reasonable investment?

My brother is looking at a house in Costa Rica. I couldn't help but notice the place is beautiful and, in the price range he's looking at, the annual tax is about $150. :D

... but what about beheadings or political unrest? I'd hate to see him buy a house in a country shortly before a revolution.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
One of my closest friends bought a condo in San Jose, Costa Rica. Beautiful place. I don't know all the particulars but I can put you in touch with him for more insight. His wife is native to Costa Rica so they know the area quite well. :thumbsup

OnlyMoney

Reaction score
BIL bought land to build his retirement home in Costa Rica. 3 or 4 years ago. Tried to get us to buy but we aren't the type to buy land/home in a third world country.

Developer gave everyone a chance to pay off their loans early and take a 10% dicount. I'm sure you all see where this is going.

Still doesn't have a deed, involved in a class action lawsuit. There's no $$$. I'm talking HUNDREDS of thousands.

I'm just saying be careful, be very careful.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Check the cia website, they keep pretty good tabs on everyone and will list political climate aswell as travel advisorys

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Adios, Tom.

Look into Belize also. Formerly the British Honduras. Official language is English, currency is the dollar. Looks nice. British Military keeps a presence there.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Any opinions on the safety, political stability, and economies of Panama and Costa Rica?

In other words, if someone were to buy a small hut in a ghetto in one of these two countries, would it be a reasonable investment?

My brother is looking at a house in Costa Rica. I couldn't help but notice the place is beautiful and, in the price range he's looking at, the annual tax is about $150. :D

... but what about beheadings or political unrest? I'd hate to see him buy a house in a country shortly before a revolution.

I heard Somolia is nice in the winter.

OnlyMoney

Reaction score
Adios, Tom.

Look into Belize also. Formerly the British Honduras. Official language is English, currency is the dollar. Looks nice. British Military keeps a presence there.

:thumbsup

A friend said it was WAY pricey (she's a frugal being) but SO beautiful. It's on our list!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
come one now Tom. What you are really want to ask is exactly how hot does it get there? Is the humidity enough to produce a chronic case of swamp ass?

:D

randyjet

Reaction score
Got 5 acres on the beach for 65,000 two years ago building a retirement home in the next few years. There is a whole community of Huntington Beach people been living down there for the last 15 years and they all love it if you want names I can hook you up saw a beach house with 5 acres and 2500 sq living space for 135,000 US dollars. Its around Tamarindo. They can find you properties as well. Any of you that surfed HB know Eddie Enriquez he's down there has a few places he rents as well.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Tom,

My wife is from Costa Rica. We go there every year and stay at her aunt's house and then we take off to the beach for a week.

It's one of the most relaxing places I have ever been to. The people are really nice, laid back, not in a rush to do anything.

There are some really nice neighborhoods that look like beverly hills. For example the city called Escazu (google it).

My wife's family out there all speak english better than some people here in the states. They are all well educated and well off and work for U.S. based companies.

It rains out there A LOT but it doesnt bother us because it comes and goes really fast.

I would LOVE to retire out there.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Got 5 acres on the beach for 65,000 two years ago building a retirement home in the next few years. There is a whole community of Huntington Beach people been living down there for the last 15 years and they all love it if you want names I can hook you up saw a beach house with 5 acres and 2500 sq living space for 135,000 US dollars. Its around Tamarindo. They can find you properties as well. Any of you that surfed HB know Eddie Enriquez he's down there has a few places he rents as well.

5 acres on the beach with a livable house for $135? WTF?

spectras only

Reaction score
Tom , I wouldn't buy property in the good ol' US of A , let alone in Costa Rica ;) . :D .I remember a lot of canadians buying/moving into CR in the early 70's for investment. I personally wouldn't buy any place beyond easy driving access. Looking at some condo development this weekend close to harrison Hot Springs .They starting at 100K . Harrison Lake is 15 min from there.http://www.harrisonhighlands.ca/

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRidgeResort

Last edited:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Tom , I wouldn't buy property in the good ol' US of A , let alone in Costa Rica ;) . :D .I remember a lot of canadians buying/moving into CR in the early 70's for investment. I personally wouldn't buy any place beyond easy driving access. Looking at some condo development this weekend close to harrison Hot Springs .They starting at 100K . Harrison Lake is 15 min from there.http://www.harrisonhighlands.ca/

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRidgeResort

I tend to share your view.

Ironically, I've been looking at property near Harrison Hot Springs. It's not the best location for me but it looks like a beautiful place with reasonable prices (considering the proximity to Vancouver) and nice weather.

What's your take on Nanaimo? Up and coming or forever sleepy gulch?

spectras only

Reaction score
Nanaimo is fine.Ferry service makes it popular too . Still affordable and growing. Little further south is Sidney that I prefer because its close proximity to Victoria . Duncan would be one of the cheapest to explore .
Vancouver Island is a perfect retirement place with lakes and the big blueall around it. :thumbsup

spectras only

Reaction score
I Ironically, I've been looking at property near Harrison Hot Springs. It's not the best location for me but it looks like a beautiful place with reasonable prices (considering the proximity to Vancouver) and nice weather.

Harrison Hot Springs >
Img_1143.jpg

IMG_1336.JPG

09%20HPR%202

09%20Harrison%20PR

http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/2006%20Harrison%20L%20poker%20run[/img\]
[img]http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_1340.JPG

Lake is 50 miles long from here >

Viper%20and%20Noble%20at%20Harrison

spectras only

Reaction score
Look .....No Jet Boats

Img_1143.jpg

Actually , there's one guy with an Eagle aluminum jetboat who lives around that place. ;) He's in that group somewhere .
Harrison lake can kick up 6' waves ,so jetboats are a nono then.

Last edited:

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
If you must go to central America, Costa Rica is probably the best bet. From what I've heard for stability, prices, and surfing.
I know some people that 'retired' to Panama. They are not legally allowed to work. And there is a US military presence there - for good or bad.
Questions occur? When do you plan to move/buy/retire? Will you still return to Canada every 6 mos for health care?

Speedneeder

Reaction score
Cant speak for Panama but have vacationed in Costa Rica; as a matter of face heading back again in March. As far as the country goes its pretty diverse in every aspect. So kinda like asking hows the US. Certainly way smaller but very much diverse. You will find some regions that have a stong North American influence. The price of property is generally reflective of that as well. No offense to the poster but in mho Tamarindo is a bit too touristy for me, world class waves without a doubt. You may want to check out the Nicoya pennisula; certain areas have a distinct No. American influence as well but not quite as busy. About a 2 1/2 hour drive from the Liberia airport and about a good 5 hour drive from San Jose Airport. Overall I think you will find Costa Rica among the most steady and non violent counties in Central America. Property values are down in most of the areas that have been populated with "Northerners" similar to how we have been affected in the states. Hope that helps some.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Went to Costa Rica a few years ago. We rented a Condo in Los Suenos near Jaco (Pacific side). We loved it there and felt very safe. I thought I read somewhere that if you are within a certain distance of the beach (1/2 mile maybe), you don't actually own the land it is a 99 year lease. I could be wrong. Los Suenos is / was expensive. Our condo (I use that term loosely as it was 3,500sf) was valued close to $3M then...probably less now though. LOL.

jarrettolson

Reaction score
You can own land in any area of CR, it is a very safe country filled with amazing people. The one downside for those coming from other countries is that you will find a hard time getting work. The law states that the company must find a native first, if no native person can fill the exact description of the job then they can hire outsiders. They have no restrictions on starting companies though, so most expat's will get into real estate (and struggle).

Tell him to go down there and drive the coast, everything is for sale and most of the owners are willing to self finance (basically a retirement for them). You can find a good lawyer to setup an agreement and boom done deal.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Tell him not to go, its a very dangerous place, murders every hour, robberies, kidnappings etc..

Tell him to especially not go to Playa Pacifica..that place is the worst!!!

Tell him to invest wisely, heard there is some great deals on valuable property around Slausen and Figurora, in L.A....

Enen

Reaction score
I have a cousin that lives in Jaco Beach. He has been down there for 12 to 15 years. Loves it. Never had any problems at all.

By comparison, my sister-in-law moved to Sayulita, Mexico. Her house has been robbed, and her rhino was stolen.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Great place, I went there in 05' and had a blast. I have 2 friends that married women from there. I have some other friends that are developing homes down there. Not going so well for them down there. Their economy is tied to ours from what I understand. They also dont have an army because we asked them to get rid of it and have us protect them. I dont think that is working out to well for them.