WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Operation Cone Clutch

Lumpy

Reaction score
So last year my clutch started going out and I posted in I/O section. Was told by a pro to have a shop do it. Shopped around and wasn’t happy with the cost (still recovering from the divorce) so I figure what the hell...can’t be much different from a T10 or TH400 right. Picked up a couple of Merc tools and went to town. I got the jack/stand from a guy online, he built it himself...$215 and a ride.
IMG_6306.JPG
IMG_6312.JPG
IMG_6309.JPG
IMG_6310.JPG
IMG_6311.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
So how does it go back together. LOL. I rebuilt my upper on my bravo 1 when it melted down, a little difficult but do-able if you have a decent amount of mechanical background.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Is that chipping on the teeth of the input gear?

Tinkerer

Reaction score
You got a link to that stand? How high will it go?

Tinkerer

Reaction score
What do the clutch faces look like.
Did you check with Mr Gadgets ( Dick Tryce ) for a cost to repair.
He does top notch work for a fair price.
He can put a drive together that will handle a lot more HP than stock and it will live.

Lumpy

Reaction score
What do the clutch faces look like.
Did you check with Mr Gadgets ( Dick Tryce ) for a cost to repair.
He does top notch work for a fair price.
He can put a drive together that will handle a lot more HP than stock and it will live.
Unfortunately my options where I live are nil unless I want to ship it and with my tight budget...well.
I pulled the clutch/gear assembly apart and put it back together...clutch face for forward was shot(pulling kids on a tube, gear in and out).
As for the input gear yes...took the pics with a phone and look worse than with a eye. Wouldn't say chipped, more like slightly marred. If it was a T10 I would probably
just clean it up a little and run it but clearly this is different. Figure it probably happened the first or second time of realizing the clutch was shot and it popped into
gear, mind it was under 1k rpm. Thinking a little clean up and gear flip...probably blasphemy. What say the brain trust RDP?
As for the jack/stand, look at the second pic and the car...should give you a reference...if not let me know and I`ll measure in the morning.
Here is the Link, go by instruction on the web site. He emailed me when he was finish painting it and again when it shipped. Very happy with
the jack/stand.
boat-outdrive-jack.html

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
What do you mean by going out???

Lumpy

Reaction score
What do you mean by going out???
Reverse shift grabbed immediately....forward shift was a five to fifteen second delay.
Pulled cover off and examined the shifter. Shifting mech was good and verified with prop turn.

Jmp

Reaction score
Do what you want but I highly recommend taking it to someone who knows how to set up a drive. I had this same exact scenario last summer with the delayed shift into forward and it ended up costing me a new upper case, bearings, clutch etc.. after the pinion blew the snout off the gear case.

buck35

Reaction score
You got a link to that stand? How high will it go?

They are super easy to build. I used inch and a half tube for the base and 1 inch for the arms. And the jack I bought at the fam and ranch store.you want use a square tube jack so it will not spin a topple over.