WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

One of the coolest things I own , that I cant drive !

Travmon

Reaction score
If you are any type of fabricator/ do it yourselfer of any media ( wood,metal,etc) then I will pass on a few keys to success that have helped me to tackle and MOST importantly FINISH projects. I built this fastener station about 12 years ago and for my purposes I can’t even begin to describe how much money and time it has saved me.

The way to turn a simple job into a non simple job is to Not have the proper parts on hand .When you have to stop simple job to run to parts store simple just starts vanishing. No matter what you are into take the time to set your garage up for success.

Take 1000.00 dollars out of your beer fund and go buy every fastener/hardware you think you will NEVER need and the same on the stuff you know you will need , organize it trust me a few years later you will realize how much funner simple jobs are . Also the reason a lot of projects get sidetracked is energy , when you have the energy on a project you need to stay on it until completion. I have saved SO MUCH money and time with my assortment. YOU WILL TOO !
IMG_3649.jpeg
IMG_3647.jpeg
IMG_3645.jpeg
IMG_3646.jpeg
IMG_3644.jpeg
IMG_3642.jpeg
IMG_3643.jpeg
IMG_3640.jpeg
IMG_3641.jpeg
IMG_3651.jpeg
IMG_3653.jpeg
IMG_3654.jpeg
IMG_3655.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3639.jpeg
    IMG_3639.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I just bought several racks worth of bins and storage boxes. A friend was closing his shop due to divorce and wanted it gone. I am really looking forward to the day I can get it off the piles on pallets and set up.

Then the ugly part of populating it.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Nice.

The calipers I work on use odd ball M7 and M9 fasteners with several different Ribe heads on them, in length increments of 3mm in a few cases.

This stuff is unavailable new, so I replate all of it…usually 20-50lbs at a time. Everything gets laid out on the bench, sorted, and goes into its appropriate bin as soon as they’re back from plating. Same with other components that I re-use, after cleaning, blasting, inspecting,?replating or zinc phosphating…then the re-assembly process is more like assembly of new parts than rebuilding with used parts.

Huge time saver.

I used U-line plastic 12” deep bins and those wire bakery type shelves…I buy 2 or 3 to build one with shelf spacing to maximize the bins I can put on one unit. Easier to add a bin as needed than to re-label and moveveverytbing by the handful

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score
I got a 5 gallon bucket with all that stuff in it. Does that count? When ever I buy hardware I buy 3 or 4 times what I need but I never have time to sort it out like that. So in the bucket it goes, haha. Saves a trip to the store many times but probably takes me just as long to look through the bucket to get what I need.

rrrr

Reaction score
This is good stuff. The race and restoration shop for Nearburg Racing, which is where I worked on the Spirit of Rett AA/FS and other cool projects, has a deal with a fastener supply house. There's a partitioned storage unit along a wall that has about 200 separate bins.

They're filled with a selection of NAS hardware that includes bolts, nuts, and washers in sizes from ¼" to ½" and the bolts range in length from ⅝" to 2½". There are split lock washers, internal and external star washers, nylock, castellated, and deformed diameter lock nuts in the stock. There are other style variations and miscellaneous bits too.

The hardware guy comes by once a month and restocks the bins. This system is really nice, it provides most of what is needed for building and maintaining vehicles, so time isn't lost going to the supply house.

By the way, today is the anniversary of Rett Nearburg's death. Rett was just 21 when he passed away in 2005 from cancer. Rett was a talented artist and a good person, gone too soon. Every year on January 14th, his mom and dad run a memorial tribute on the obit page of the Dallas Morning News.

Rett Nearburg, an artist at the birth of his career, passed gently into God's embrace on Friday, January 14, 2005, at 10:40 p.m. Born July 1, 1983, Rett tenaciously lived each day to the fullest throughout his eleven-and-a-half-year battle with Ewing's Sarcoma. He loved Apple computers, art, video games, music and motorcycles.

Completely lacking self-pity, Rett volunteered for numerous Phase 1 drug trials, often bearing significant pain and discomfort. Whenever cancer stole one aspect of his life, he turned another page and charged ahead. He lived joyously and passionately, full of humor, wisdom and grace. We were blessed by his courageous presence in our lives. Please visit: www.rett.org to share our son's legacy.

34374424165_e5b7cc12af_c.jpg

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have set I bought at a yard sale. 1/4 to 1/2 multiple lengths,washers, lock washers and nuts. Bins and all I paid $10. Been a life saver so many times. I might look into that grade 8 set.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I love the roller, I especially love the big font on the labels, LOL
You are a talented guy.

The Amazon package looks like a deal. I have a rack from Northern Tool, about 6.5 ft tall and 4 ft wide lag bolted to the wall, with plastic bins.
I stocked it years ago from a place called Blue Collar Supply that used to be out off of Fruitridge Rd in Sacramento. If you are a hardware/metals guy this place was wonderful. Hardware by the pound in a shop about 5k sq ft, with a yard out back. He had racks of steel, SS, diamond plate Aluminum, etc. They also went around to job and production shops and bought cut off pieces of sheet and chunks of billet.
My pals and I would get together about twice a year and jump into a crew cab pickup with a rack and go down with lists...
And we would load up.
I miss that place a bunch. They shut down about 10 years ago.
I cleaned out a job shop that was closing of stainless hardware about 15 years ago. Rolled by on patrol one day shift summer Sunday and they were emptying the shop, going out of business. I stopped as he waved me down to tell me they weren't burglarizing the place and asked if I knew anyone that wanted hardware. I went by that afternoon when I was off work with my truck...
I scored.

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
I was a territory manager for Hillman before I retired. When we would do a reset in a hardware store, we almost always put in new bins. I might have scored a few and possibly gave them to my sil for his shop. Usually the hardware stores would give some to good customers and sell the rest really cheap. Gone as fast as we could empty them and stack. Might check with any hardware stores around you to see if they have a reset planned.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Totally agree. I hate stopping a project because I need hardware.

I have a small setup now, nothing that big but it works for 90% of my small projects. That looks awesome and I think next Black Friday I will jump in and expand what I’ve got with deeper inventory.

I have started using Boltsandnuts.com.

Each order comes with a label/sticker with a QR code on it to put on the bin you store it in for instant ID and reordering. Pretty slick setup, and their prices are decent.

They have free shipping over $25.

IMG_3538.jpeg

Warlock1

Reaction score
This is something I put together for my guys. We could move this over to the boats so they wasted less time having to walk to a stationary location to grab supplies and it helped because we could see when it was time for a restock order.

Attachments

• 20190523_130533.jpg
    20190523_130533.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20190523_130510.jpg
    20190523_130510.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
If you are any type of fabricator/ do it yourselfer of any media ( wood,metal,etc) then I will pass on a few keys to success that have helped me to tackle and MOST importantly FINISH projects. I built this fastener station about 12 years ago and for my purposes I can’t even begin to describe how much money and time it has saved me.

The way to turn a simple job into a non simple job is to Not have the proper parts on hand .When you have to stop simple job to run to parts store simple just starts vanishing. No matter what you are into take the time to set your garage up for success.

Take 1000.00 dollars out of your beer fund and go buy every fastener/hardware you think you will NEVER need and the same on the stuff you know you will need , organize it trust me a few years later you will realize how much funner simple jobs are . Also the reason a lot of projects get sidetracked is energy , when you have the energy on a project you need to stay on it until completion. I have saved SO MUCH money and time with my assortment. YOU WILL TOO ! View attachment 1322434 View attachment 1322435 View attachment 1322436 View attachment 1322437 View attachment 1322438 View attachment 1322439 View attachment 1322440 View attachment 1322442 View attachment 1322443 View attachment 1322444 View attachment 1322445 View attachment 1322446 View attachment 1322447 View attachment 1322448
Wish you were my neighbor. Would save me countless trips to Hardware store. Not to worry I bring beer. 😁😁

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have a very well stocked old school style hardware store right down the street from me (walking distance if I so choose not that I ever have) and I have an open line of credit for anything I need and get a discount to boot. I do also have my original Craftsman tool box from HS full of spare hardware tho.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Now I see why there's so much hesitency to switch to metric fasteners in the US. 😆

Travmon

Reaction score
Now I see why there's so much hesitency to switch to metric fasteners in the US. 😆
FACT ! My designer cad/ cam and solidworks is from New Zealand , we have scrapped many a parts because im running along on the inch scale and he is on ghe metric scale 🙃🙃

37 boat

Reaction score

Take 1000.00 dollars out of your beer fund and go buy every fastener/hardware you think you will NEVER need and the same on the stuff you know you will need , organize it trust me a few years later you will realize how much funner simple jobs are . Also the reason a lot of projects get sidetracked is energy , when you have the energy on a project you need to stay on it until completion. I have saved SO MUCH money and time with my assortment. YOU WILL TOO ! View attachment 1322434 View attachment 1322435 View attachment 1322436 View attachment 1322437 View attachment 1322438 View attachment 1322439 View attachment 1322440 View attachment 1322442 View attachment 1322443 View attachment 1322444 View attachment 1322445 View attachment 1322446 View attachment 1322447 View attachment 1322448
Can I just give you a $1000.00 for yours?😁

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
If I have to stop to get hdwr I’m pissed.
When the local ace closed it meant a fwy trip. 1hr down, might as well get lunch…let’s see, where was I?