WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Windshield

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Our Audi S4 developed a crack in the windshield. After $860 and three separate trips to Safelite (which is 24 miles from the house), they couldn’t get the re-calibration of all the nannies (lane departure, car proximity, etc.) correct so we bailed on them. The dash is still flashing warnings.

As a result, we just dropped it off at the Audi Stealership. $1180 just for the calibration. If it needs another windshield, likely another $1,000.

Im totally fuming about this. First time in my life I ever filed a formal BAR complaint. I don’t know what I’m more angry about, the huge waste of time with Safelite or the outrageous cost to get it fixed correctly..

Edit, I am of course disputing the Safelite costs with American Express.

IMG_1529.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
One of the reasons I’m not interested in luxury foreign vehicles. Everything is more costly than domestic and the domestic supplier parts and abilities often times don’t cross well with foreign which you have learned. It’s the cost of purchasing luxury vehicles.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
One of the reasons I’m not interested in luxury foreign vehicles. Everything is more costly than domestic and the domestic supplier parts and abilities often times don’t cross well with foreign which you have learned. It’s the cost of purchasing luxury vehicles.
We’ve always had German cars and typically don’t have problems however, you are right, when something happens, it’s usually not cheap.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
In our two years in TX, we've destroyed three windshields on the Tesla and two on the GX460. After reading the forums, and being concerned about what you're going through, the Tesla only goes to Tesla for replacements. $1,600 each time, with a $500 deductible. After the first issue, we put a $0 deductible on windshields... thank god. The GX isn't fancy and has no nannies so it goes to Safelite. No issues so far.

Good luck with your claim.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Coworker used Safelite to repair a chip in a windshield. He got the car back and the chip was never filled. He had to file a dispute with his credit card company. Safelite sent the non payment to collections and he has been fighting it.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We’ve always had German cars and typically don’t have problems however, you are right, when something happens, it’s usually not cheap.

They’re amazing cars and beautiful. Would love to own one but listening to my clients about these vehicles I realized I’m on a budget and they’re not so for that reason I’m out 😂

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
We have a lot of problems with aftermarket windshields (Acura dealership), most of the time they don"t calibrate well with all the cameras. If it's an insurance job we warn our customers to request factory glass. I've seen many times the insurance company have to pull out the aftermarket glass and replace with factory glass. Sometimes saving a couple hundred bucks can bite you, god forbid you need warranty work on the cameras with aftermarket glass. I agree the glass is way too expensive.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Unfortunately with euro cars you need to go to the dealer. Will be taking our BMW X7 for one on the next rock chip as I have fixed 2 already. Damn thing is like a magnate for rocks.

Will be putting the window protection film on next time too.

Dannyo

Reaction score
This! Is why I told wife no cars with fancies tied to windshield. It is just insane how much it is to fix.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
4+ years ago y f150 got a rock hit that developed into a crack , at that time no OEM windshields (with matrix) were to be found ................. so I waited then fast forward the crack increased in length and I let it go then.... after two years BOOM another rock hit (now two cracks) Still on back order then this week boom again another rock hit (turning to a crack slowly)

Last edited:

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Our Audi S4 developed a crack in the windshield. After $860 and three separate trips to Safelite (which is 24 miles from the house), they couldn’t get the re-calibration of all the nannies (lane departure, car proximity, etc.) correct so we bailed on them. The dash is still flashing warnings.

As a result, we just dropped it off at the Audi Stealership. $1180 just for the calibration. If it needs another windshield, likely another $1,000.

Im totally fuming about this. First time in my life I ever filed a formal BAR complaint. I don’t know what I’m more angry about, the huge waste of time with Safelite or the outrageous cost to get it fixed correctly..

Edit, I am of course disputing the Safelite costs with American Express.

View attachment 1411564 View attachment 1411565
Windshield on wife's newer Audi Q7 needed replacing (plus the nanny stuff). Insurance wanted safelite. Safelite would not do factory glass. Called safelite and said I want Audi West Covina to do repair. They bitched and said blah blah blah. I paid appx $3000 out of pocket and submitted the bill to my insurance. They paid me back in about a week. I was pleasantly surprised.

rrrr

Reaction score
I had an aftermarket rear window installed in my Excursion after someone with deficient brain power closed it while the lower doors were open and shattered the glass. It was obviously cheaper than an OEM replacement. The window leaked, didn't seal properly.

I took it back. The shop owner removed the trim around the glass, and showed me how several of the holes in the perimeter of the glass were mislocated and as a result the securing bolts couldn't be installed.

I authorized him to replace it with OEM glass, and he didn't charge me labor for the replacement. I insisted on paying him, it wasn't his fault I was trying to cheap out. It was a lesson learned about aftermarket glass.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Chinese glass sucks. Fuyao or something like that comes to mind with multiple issues at calibration time.

Many times it places the camera in just the wrong spot for the calibration to complete... Use OEM glass and have the dealer calibrate it.

Now even base model Corolla's have lane departure cameras, the days of $200 windshields are over.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
And here lies the problem with all this fancy factory installed frills such as lane control , adaptive cruise , corner following headlights etc , as soon as it’s outa of warranty , no one wants or will get if fixed unless someone else is paying . We will be seeing a lot of cars come on the used market with a lot of inoperative systems.

boatpi

Reaction score
Many German cars are OEM only to avoid any issues.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
We have a lot of problems with aftermarket windshields (Acura dealership), most of the time they don"t calibrate well with all the cameras. If it's an insurance job we warn our customers to request factory glass. I've seen many times the insurance company have to pull out the aftermarket glass and replace with factory glass. Sometimes saving a couple hundred bucks can bite you, god forbid you need warranty work on the cameras with aftermarket glass. I agree the glass is way too expensive.
I didn’t stipulate what glass was to be used at Safelite when I made the arrangements however, I did get their assurance that they had the glass in stock and that the calibration wouldn’t be an issue. Neither was true even though they are (presumably) the windshield experts. I had closer and cheaper quotes but there was lead time involved with getting the windshield so I ended up going to them.

sml

Reaction score
Chinese glass sucks. Fuyao or something like that comes to mind with multiple issues at calibration time.

Many times it places the camera in just the wrong spot for the calibration to complete... Use OEM glass and have the dealer calibrate it.

Now even base model Corolla's have lane departure cameras, the days of $200 windshields are over.
Fuyao is a current OEM manufacturer for quite a few vehicle lines (GM, honda, BMW,etc) and they are one of the best aftermarket parts available right now. You absolutely could not say this 10 plus years ago.

I agree with using oem glass but not everyone can afford that option and most insurance companies refuse to pay for it on vehicles more than 3 years old.

DaveH

Reaction score
you got off cheap. wife had a lexus RX300, took a rock in the windshield. $4000 to replace and reprogram.

sml

Reaction score
Safelite helps keep independent shops in business, mine included. :D

The problem starts from the top and the employees are put in bad positions every day. Add the fact that most of the techs are only there short term and there is just no experience built.

They are also a 3rd party billing service for most insurance companies so they try their best to illegally steer all the work to themselves.

My shop doesn’t do insurance work anymore. My policy is for the customer to pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement. My customers do not have a problem with that.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I learned my lesson with Safelight...they are the worst ever and they pretty much always use cheap Chinese glass. I have a small independent that I use here in Escondido...Grace Glass. His pricing is better and always asks if I want a good piece of glass.

Just had an ass hole moving a rock conveyor belt yesterday fling a baseball size rock at my front windshield....I pulled in front of him and made him stop. They are paying for it so I feel ok about it so far.