WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Teryx / Long Travel Industries

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I never did take any pics of the T Rex now that it's almost done (90%), so here's how it turned out.

To say I'm happy with Long Travel Industries is an understatement. The kit is MIND BLOWING how well it works, and the components are strong enough that I'm fairly confident you'd break the car before you break the arms..

I bought this thing, and while it's cool in stock form, it's basically an overgrown kawasaki "mule." They are very capable hill climbers, but as an offroad machine they really aren't all that great. I was a bit of a skeptic on how big of a difference a LT kit would make..

I'm here to say, it transformed this thing from a golf cart on steroids, to a full fledge mini PRE RUNNER. This suspension flat works.. I still can't believe how smooth the ride is. You can cruise through whoops at 30 - 50 mph and the car barely moves.

I didn't drive it as much as I wanted too this last weekend because I was sick, but the 30 or so Offroad miles I did put on it, never once was their any "jolting" or bottoming out.. This thing is smoother than a baby's ass on race day. I can not believe the difference it made, and I'm still in shock over how well it performs, not just in rough terrain, but overall handling.. You can slide it now without fear of looping it, or rolling it, and it feels like it's riding on a cushion of air... Scratch that.. It's a cushion of love. :D

Here's the pics now that it's home from the river. (I just hosed it off, and wiped it down, so it's not exactly detailed yet)

Attachments

• IMG_7697.JPG
    IMG_7697.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_7709.JPG
    IMG_7709.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7708.JPG
    IMG_7708.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_7707.JPG
    IMG_7707.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7706.JPG
    IMG_7706.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_7705.JPG
    IMG_7705.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_7704.JPG
    IMG_7704.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7703.JPG
    IMG_7703.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7701.JPG
    IMG_7701.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7698.JPG
    IMG_7698.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 213

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Good call on the black powdercoat on the arms:thumbsup Our Ranger has the candy blue and the Rhino has high flake silver. After a few trips in the dirt with them, they are hammered:thumbsdown my next build everyhting will be Satin black....the shiney stuff is too hard to keep up on.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Brian asked me if I had a powder coater that I wanted to use or if he should just use his normal guy (Embee I think?). I'm not sure how they normally powder things, but I'm pretty persnickety about my shiznit and I wanted it done a certain way, so Brian dropped everything off at Dana Marine Products for me.

It's been my experience in the past that in offroad stuff (like I said earlier not sure what LTI does I didn't ask), it's more about function then form, so they usually just use single stage powder, and don't sandblast etc..

DMP sandblasted everything and prepped for powdercoat (takes a day in itself) and they did a 2 stage Candy / Metallic Blue on the cage. The roof was done in a gloss black. Typically when you powdercoat you'll get some orange peel on large flat surfaces, Dana went WAY out of their way to make this show quality. At first glance you'd think it was painted instead of powdercoated, because there's zero orange peel and it's as flat as a mirror. Here's some pics of the roof and the cage.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.JPG
    IMG_7706.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_7717.JPG
    IMG_7717.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7718.JPG
    IMG_7718.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 202

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Good call on the black powdercoat on the arms:thumbsup Our Ranger has the candy blue and the Rhino has high flake silver. After a few trips in the dirt with them, they are hammered:thumbsdown my next build everyhting will be Satin black....the shiney stuff is too hard to keep up on.

Brian told me that I wanted the arms flat black, I was going to do them Candy blue like your ranger. He powdercoated the arms himself, everything else went to Dana.

Next year I'm going to pull it apart and I think I'm going to have the arms nickle plated, or I've been talking to some of my military guys on different coatings that'll hold up to the abuse.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So after the bumpers / cage / roof, is the interior.. He called me and asked me what waste size I was, and after a quick conversation that ended with me saying "Well I'm not exactly getting skinnier as I get older" he got the fat boy edition driver seat.. LOL The passenger seat is a little skinnier, but both are comfortable.

Twisted Stitch did the seats and the Belts are by DJ Safety.. Again this not being a race machine I opted for 4 points instead of 5 points...

RD

Attachments

• IMG_7711.JPG
    IMG_7711.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_7703.JPG
    IMG_7703.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7705.JPG
    IMG_7705.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_7712.JPG
    IMG_7712.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 188

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Brian told me that I wanted the arms flat black, I was going to do them Candy blue like your ranger. He powdercoated the arms himself, everything else went to Dana.

Next year I'm going to pull it apart and I think I'm going to have the arms nickle plated, or I've been talking to some of my military guys on different coatings that'll hold up to the abuse.

RD

Let me know what you do I might tear the arms off the Rhino and have them redone at the same time ;) the candy blue wont hold up. The arms on our Ranger look fine due to the fact its pretty much just a desert bar cruiser. the arms on the rhino are a different story ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The last thing I'll say about LTI is everything seems to be VERY WELL thought out. Most the roof's I've seen are just flat and stop at the cross member. On my rail I actually had a aluminum shop fab up a little visor to make it easier to see in the late afternoons.. I thought I was going to be making another one, but they already included it in the sheet metal. I didn't even notice it when I picked it up (nice because it doesn't look intrusive) but I sure noticed it coming back from the dessert bar..

In this pic you can see how the roof radiuses down just enough to give shade to the driver / passenger so you can see where you are going.

I know there are a million kits out there, but honestly I don't believe anybody (or very few) builds them like LTI. They are using All laser cut / Full boxed construction, internally gussetted Chromoly A arms. They are machining a lot of the parts out of the same materials that I'm using for my aerospace customers (I'm not sure if that's some trade secret or not so I'm hesitant to say what it is.. I'll just say it's not the most common of steels), where as a lot of the other kits are just reusing the stock parts. All the taper pins, pivot tubes, their using uni ball instead of the stock ball joints.. It's not the cheapest of kits out there, but it really is 1st class and I'm not worried about breaking it when I take it out.

RD

Attachments

• IMG_7699.JPG
    IMG_7699.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 190

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Let me know what you do I might tear the arms off the Rhino and have them redone at the same time ;) the candy blue wont hold up. The arms on our Ranger look fine due to the fact its pretty much just a desert bar cruiser. the arms on the rhino are a different story ;)

I'll do that.. I'm talking to the aerospace guys about some options and they have had some interesting suggestions.. It won't be for awhile though, after my mini boats are done.

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
...and the components are strong enough that I'm fairly confident you'd break the car before you break the arms..

I can tell you that's probably a true statement.
Ask me how I know :grumble:
(I've got Mason arms, but I'm sure the LTI's are strong as shit).

Good looking Teryx.
King's got their shocks really dialed-in these days.
Plus they just look more bad-ass than any other shoock :thumbsup

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'll do that.. I'm talking to the aerospace guys about some options and they have had some interesting suggestions.. It won't be for awhile though, after my mini boats are done.

RD

2 weeks :p

Thats fine, I want to run mine for a while before tearing it apart again.

I do have to say LT has been hands down the best money spent on my Rhino to date. I have put close to 500 miles on mine since the kit and am continuously shocked with it every time I take it out. :thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thats a beautiful ride top to bottom. Those arms are not gonna break!

That thing came out very nice. But, will it pull the front tires off the ground??

:D :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thats a beautiful ride top to bottom. Those arms are not gonna break!

That thing came out very nice. But, will it pull the front tires off the ground??

:D :thumbsup

Do any of the T Rex's pull em off the ground? If so what do they have done to them?

I know with 2 people in the back of it, it probably could.. but I'm say realistically on flat ground do some of them pull that hard?

RD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Do any of the T Rex's pull em off the ground? If so what do they have done to them?

I know with 2 people in the back of it, it probably could.. but I'm say realistically on flat ground do some of them pull that hard?

RD

You saw the vid. I think that was a rzr, but im sure they could that same powerplant in any kinna side by side out there.

If your serious, send me a PM. I'll put you in touch with the people that made that thing happen.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not changing motors or anything like that.. LOL

If I was gonna do all that shit, I'd just go buy a rail.

RD