WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My days at Hondo Boats n Speed Few Pics

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I worked with Hondo boats a couple years back. Became family friends with Dale the owner of Hondo boats. Dale has a old school speed shop that is still in business today. His wealth of knowledge, design innovations, who he knew etc. was massive. It is an honor to know him and work with him in the shop. Sadly not alot of old school speed shops in existence anymore, I soaked up as much as I could. Some of these pics will just be parts on a shelf, to me its hallowed grounds of a nostalgic speed shop n heritage. I had things in motion to build boats again Dale had some innovations on runners not yet released to public but he decided to stick with dirt racing and engine building.

Here is a few pics and barey touches his inventory and collection, he has molds, boats, parts parts and more parts from everyday to exotic.

Im gonna be bummed when he retires fully and closes up whenever that will be.

Attachments

• Hondo speed shop.jpg
    Hondo speed shop.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Hondo speed shop 2.jpg
    Hondo speed shop 2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 974
  • speedshop3.jpg
    speedshop3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 692
  • speedshop5.jpg
    speedshop5.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 693

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
crap I have more pics who can help me resize them?? I have them in my album I will make it public maybe someone could grab them for me??

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
more

Attachments

• 100_2112.jpg
    100_2112.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 712
  • 100_2101.jpg
    100_2101.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 806
  • 100_2099.jpg
    100_2099.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 699
  • 100_2098.jpg
    100_2098.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 853
  • 100_2092.jpg
    100_2092.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 755
  • 100_2088.jpg
    100_2088.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 775
  • 100_2085.jpg
    100_2085.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 709
  • 100_2080.jpg
    100_2080.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 765
  • 100_2079.jpg
    100_2079.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,020

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
This kind of stuff everywhere. Some old some new just collecting dust.

Attachments

• blower and injection.jpg
    blower and injection.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 802

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
So what is Dales history that he can claim to own the Hondo boats name?

I know Irv Brendel started the company and then it went to Peggy with the devorce and now son Jamie Brendel says he owns Hondo boats (which makes sense).

So what's the deal?

Its good to be King

Reaction score
Wow Jamie is still alive. He used to be running around with all the guys in the late 80's at the drag boats when he was developing the capsule. He was hittimg it pretty hard back then. We used to meet Irv outside of Fresno when Wayne Mattler was rigging brendellas before he started Canyon. Mid 70's

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score

I know Irv Brendel started the company and then it went to Peggy with the devorce and now son Jamie Brendel says he owns Hondo boats (which makes sense).

So what's the deal?

Ill shoot you a PM

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score

So what's the deal?

Simmer Down,:rolleyes: I believe I met Dale at a IHBA race at Puddingstone,mid-late 90's I was surprised too, to see the Hondo name on the business cards, but it seemed he was committed to carrying on the good name. I think he was shopping for a race boat/team to hang his name on, talked to my buddy with a Blown Gas Hydro set-up. Only problem I see on that great looking T-Deck to change the transom and add a wingie thing ala cole is sacrilige:skull

westair

Reaction score
Did they ever build new boats because those pics are a few years old.

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Did they ever build new boats because those pics are a few years old.

No we never did. We were going to a few years ago but Dale stuck with dirt track and engine building. He has the capability but just not interested anymore. When I posted the boat building deal a couple years ago I had a ton of interest but mainly tire kickers. Boats were priced very well but things were really slowing down financially for alot of people and the speedshop dirt track side was booming so all effort went that direction

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Simmer Down,:rolleyes:

Eat me!

I believe I met Dale at a IHBA race at Puddingstone,mid-late 90's I was surprised too, to see the Hondo name on the business cards, but it seemed he was committed to carrying on the good name. I think he was shopping for a race boat/team to hang his name on, talked to my buddy with a Blown Gas Hydro set-up. Only problem I see on that great looking T-Deck to change the transom and add a wingie thing ala cole is sacrilige:skull

I've seen one of his boats in person and I especially like the cleaner deck. The rear spoiler is ok too.

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
Not sure about who owns the Hondo name ,but those pictures have been post a zillion times and nothing new seems to roll out of that shop.

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Not sure about who owns the Hondo name ,but those pictures have been post a zillion times and nothing new seems to roll out of that shop.

im the original poster of the boats back on pb. i was trying to bring up discussion about boats and speed shops never said they were new boats or for sale or anything like that. just thought some pics of a old school speed shop and nostalgia would be cool to see and chat about but i guess not.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
IMHO there are a number of "old school boat shops around" but most just no longer need to deal with ' cashless dreamers'. As far as 'Hondo Boats' goes, there are a lot of people who 'purchase tooling' , boat molds, pillow block castings, whatever, and they now state "I am THIS BRAND NAME !" IMHO it's up to the public to reveal the true facts. The west coast boat business goes 'up and down' so quickly that no body knows 'who owns what' on a day to day basis. IMHO the brand name 'Hondo Boats' is one of great value but I have yet to hear from Mike or Jamie on any 'claims' to the brand for boat building. IMHO, if "anyone who has (or thinks he has) a Hondo boat mold uses the brand name for profit, he should be ready to provide proof of 'brand name ownership'. I know that "3 D's" has original tooling for the same boat designs. They MADE the original tooling and the parts/boats that came out of the Hondo molds in their hayday. Yet, "3 D's" continues to do business under their own name ! IMHO "the old guys are the most honest guys". Their products show that quality at great prices. Further, talking drag boats, circle boats. or play boats, many who choose to 'cut corners' never understand the whole picture. IMHO, you can purchase any kind of hull from any kind of builder, but how will it perform ??? IMHO the brand names we all have come to know were not 'good news' until those boats RAN WELL in public. IMHO it will always take more than just 'nice fiberglass work' to make a REAL HONDO BOAT. (or any well known brand) If the current owner has no use for the molds, maybe he's ready to sell them to someone who enjoys those boats. Hopefully someone who knows how to rig them to be winners.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
im the original poster of the boats back on pb. i was trying to bring up discussion about boats and speed shops never said they were new boats or for sale or anything like that. just thought some pics of a old school speed shop and nostalgia would be cool to see and chat about but i guess not.

Well personally I appreciated the posts.. Got to see some pics I haven't seen before and maybe learn something new about an old school name.

RD