WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My daughter wanted a pony.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
We settled on a thoroughbred race horse LOL This is really more my folks deal than mine but we have a new member of the family. Our horse is a yearling, she has been out in Ocala Florida training and was just flown out to California this week, she will be training at Santa Anita now and with a little luck be running there and at Del Mar in the not so distant future. She has some pretty amazing bloodlines with some real deal horses in there some of which you may have heard of, Mr. Prospector, Secretariat, Machiavellian, Street Cry some real heavy hitters. So on Sunday I am taking the kiddo over to the track early in the AM to watch her workout, I plan on doing this a lot and am pretty stoked to finally be a part of the horse game. She has not been run yet so we really have no idea on what kind of speed she has. She is still very young and we will do whats best for her vs. trying to win races and cause injuries. Hopefully she will be fast and have an amazing racing career or my daughter will be the only little girl riding a fucking race horse down the local bridal trail :D

I'll keep this thread updated as this next adventure progresses:thumbsup

Attachments

• DW.jpg
    DW.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 19

oldschool

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the madness. My Dad was in the horse racing deal for a number of years, just recently got out. It is infectious for sure. They say you can make a small fortune in horse racing, you just have to start with a large fortune. Good luck.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Cool pic of her breezing in Florida a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17

TBulger

Reaction score
That's conformation right there, it's a little extra, beyond hay seed I'll tell ya. :yikes

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I spent over a decade at race tracks. That's how I worked my way through university.

Video, photo finish, totalizator machine repair, I did all that stuff. It was an interesting environment, for sure. I still miss some aspects for it.

Congratulations, Dylan.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Good luck. Fillies break down pretty easy, but with her blood lines she'll be a good brood mare.

whiteworks

Reaction score
The chances of this ending on a positive financial note are, well you know LOL However its going to be fun and the reality is you only go around one time.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 16

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Cool:cool

So does she have a name? Thought they registered them at birth?

I always thought it'd be neat to name a race horse after a dogfood brand to piss off the elitist stables........"Gravy Train" or "Alpo Soon" or "No Ken-L Ration" sound fast.:skull

koenig

Reaction score
Nice horse. My neighbor is with a former race horse rescue. He has 20 or so horses currently.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The chances of this ending on a positive financial note are, well you know LOL However its going to be fun and the reality is you only go around one time.

It can't be much worse than an ocean boat. Enjoy the ride.

She my turn out to really be fast and become well known. :thumbup::thumbup:

milkmoney

Reaction score
Well if u can afford a race horse then u can afford railroad maintance , Very expensive. But very cool. :).

Good looking four legged animal :)

Struv

Reaction score
Nice horse. Hope you all make some $ with it. Does the daughter still want a pony? :D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Sounds good to me, I'll be a horse owner before too long myself. Bring her by the bridal trail for a ride anytime pal.

Sounds like you are boarding her at your parent's house?

Brian

whiteworks

Reaction score

I always thought it'd be neat to name a race horse after a dogfood brand to piss off the elitist stables........"Gravy Train" or "Alpo Soon" or "No Ken-L Ration" sound fast.:skull

We named her Desert Willow, I believe that she was just given a number at birth and then after we purchased her the name was then registered. Heres a link to her blood lines if your interested, pretty cool stuff.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/desert+willow

Hammer

Reaction score
you should train your daughter to be the jockey of her new pony, like tomorrow !:p:D

whiteworks

Reaction score
It can't be much worse than an ocean boat. Enjoy the ride.

She my turn out to really be fast and become well known. :thumbup::thumbup:
with a little luck she will have an amzing race career, we'll see.

Well if u can afford a race horse then u can afford railroad maintance , Very expensive. But very cool. :).

Good looking four legged animal :)
She is a very nice looking horse, thanks.
Nice horse. Hope you all make some $ with it. Does the daughter still want a pony? :D
My daughter is stoked, a rainbow unicorn would not get her attention now LOL
Sounds good to me, I'll be a horse owner before too long myself. Bring her by the bridal trail for a ride anytime pal.

Sounds like you are boarding her at your parent's house?

Brian

She is being boarded at the track in a trainers barn.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
Be careful... I have 3.5 racehorses now 1 mare, 1yo, 2yo and one in the oven. Plus 2 1/4 horses and my wife's hunter/jumper. I would be going to race my boat in burley but for some reason my says we can't afford it.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Be careful... I have 3.5 racehorses now 1 mare, 1yo, 2yo and one in the oven. Plus 2 1/4 horses and my wife's hunter/jumper. I would be going to race my boat in burley but for some reason my says we can't afford it.

Good shit:thumbsup

C-2

Reaction score
Congrats. :thumbsup

I think :D

We have several old track horses and they're pretty much azzholes. Just picked up some more meds since one of them does not do well with the 25 degree temp spikes, and I anticipate injecting him full of meds on/about Wednesday of next week.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score

At birth a thoroughbred name is its mothers name plus the year of birth. It stays that way until the horse is given it's registered name. So if the mares name is "Eyes on the World" their foal will be "Eyes on the World 2014"

530RL

Reaction score
Why is it that fathers buy their sons a conversion van and their daughters a pony? :hmm

JBS

Reaction score
Dylan. She is gorgeous congrats. The wife and I definitely need to come to a race

Hammer

Reaction score
Dylan. She is gorgeous congrats. The wife and I definitely need to come to a race

You may end up coming home owning a horse or two for Ari :D

Reactions: JBS

whiteworks

Reaction score

Hopefully she gets that far, as of right now we just don't know what we have on our hands, only time will tell. If I was coming out from az I would definitely hit a del mar race. I'll keep you posted.

My parents love going to the races, I'm pretty stoked that they are getting into this finally.

BigSteve

Reaction score
We settled on a thoroughbred race horse LOL This is really more my folks deal than mine but we have a new member of the family. Our horse is a yearling, she has been out in Ocala Florida training and was just flown out to California this week, she will be training at Santa Anita now and with a little luck be running there and at Del Mar in the not so distant future. She has some pretty amazing bloodlines with some real deal horses in there some of which you may have heard of, Mr. Prospector, Secretariat, Machiavellian, Street Cry some real heavy hitters. So on Sunday I am taking the kiddo over to the track early in the AM to watch her workout, I plan on doing this a lot and am pretty stoked to finally be a part of the horse game. She has not been run yet so we really have no idea on what kind of speed she has. She is still very young and we will do whats best for her vs. trying to win races and cause injuries. Hopefully she will be fast and have an amazing racing career or my daughter will be the only little girl riding a fucking race horse down the local bridal trail :D

I'll keep this thread updated as this next adventure progresses:thumbsup

Nice bloodlines !
She has a bit more growing up and filling in to do.

I had a excellent TB mare that came from the track the and crossed it with a
German Warmblood

The instructor for RCMP likes to use the warmblood cross and uses my horse for teaching the Search and Rescue Equine courses to the Sheriff's rescue teams.

I was asked what training methods were used, He's very well mannered I was able to approach the helicopter.
Well, I told him about a old timer that owns a saddle shop and packs mule teams

He was recommended to us during college class on Equine health by the local Vet.
This old gent will teach you hands on Equine psychology :thumbup:

This old timer was packed full of great tips on how to get the most with doing the least.
Following his steps:
I would at first put the food and water on the tailgate of the trailer.
Then slided it in a little bit more each day for couple weeks and put a little oats in the head stall !
Start a lawn mower next to the trailer at feeding time, throw branches, cuttings and rolled news paper
on the trailer floor. Before opening the trailer door then open it and watch how fast they overcome their fear

Well that was the easy part. He had us doing lots of ground work, teaching good ground manners!
Walking a line, stopping starting, taking a step back.ect

Picking up their legs calmly and often. Having the horse stand and balance on three legs! And not lean on the farrier! Place their front hoof on farrier post. When you got that down hear comes the lawn mower and the news paper again :skull

The oldtimer set me up with a great working relationship with the local riding instructor. I would let her use my warmblood for the advanced riding classes . It was a win win. The horse got washed, groomed, rode, trained daily,looked after and loved by a half dozen girls 10-16 for free.

I ended up with a push button gential giant on the weekend.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Dylan that is one beautiful horse.
I hope your folks enjoy the process, and I hope she fills their pockets as much as she will fill your daughter's dreams. Really look forward to following this thread.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow -- She's beautiful!! Congrats!

For as far back as I can remember, I always wanted a horse. My dad bought me a mustang - the kind that runs on gas. I guess I should have been more specific. ;)

Hammer

Reaction score

For as far back as I can remember, I always wanted a horse. My dad bought me a mustang - the kind that runs on gas. I guess I should have been more specific. ;)

:D

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
What farm did she come off of? Worked in Ocala bf I moved to AZ.

milkmoney

Reaction score

Maybe ur dad new that it was cheaper to get the pony for the street. :)

C-2

Reaction score
Nice bloodlines !
She has a bit more growing up and filling in to do.

I had a excellent TB mare that came from the track the and crossed it with a
German Warmblood

The instructor for RCMP likes to use the warmblood cross and uses my horse for teaching the Search and Rescue Equine courses to the Sheriff's rescue teams.

I was asked what training methods were used, He's very well mannered I was able to approach the helicopter.
Well, I told him about a old timer that owns a saddle shop and packs mule teams

He was recommended to us during college class on Equine health by the local Vet.
This old gent will teach you hands on Equine psychology :thumbup:

This old timer was packed full of great tips on how to get the most with doing the least.
Following his steps:
I would at first put the food and water on the tailgate of the trailer.
Then slided it in a little bit more each day for couple weeks and put a little oats in the head stall !
Start a lawn mower next to the trailer at feeding time, throw branches, cuttings and rolled news paper
on the trailer floor. Before opening the trailer door then open it and watch how fast they overcome their fear

Well that was the easy part. He had us doing lots of ground work, teaching good ground manners!
Walking a line, stopping starting, taking a step back.ect

Picking up their legs calmly and often. Having the horse stand and balance on three legs! And not lean on the farrier! Place their front hoof on farrier post. When you got that down hear comes the lawn mower and the news paper again :skull

The oldtimer set me up with a great working relationship with the local riding instructor. I would let her use my warmblood for the advanced riding classes . It was a win win. The horse got washed, groomed, rode, trained daily,looked after and loved by a half dozen girls 10-16 for free.

I ended up with a push button gential giant on the weekend.

Wifey has a Belgian warmblood that is a real sweety. Hard to hate that one. :D

We always check out the Mustang Makeover whenever it comes to Norco; what they do with them is amazing.

The deal with track horses, especially Thoroughbred's, is that they are never treated kindly. We have an Appendix Quarter who looks great, but is still pretty hot after many years; a Quarter who was at the track, but never outgrew a slight twist in his leg..he has trust issues, although gentle, he is still stand-offish, and then my horse, a Palomino Quarter that was a track "pony", so like our Cow Dog, he's always trying to herd or bully the other horses.

Good times :thumbsup

nowski

Reaction score
So you have 5 horses? 3.5 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1 jumper = 5 Sounds like a barn full...

nowski

Reaction score
I see a future meet & Greet ($$$) at Santa Anita... That looks like a lot of animal for just 1 horse power... Nice horse BTW...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
All this 1/4 talk must be how Camshafts were nicknamed. For the record I never had a muscle car with less than a 3/4 cam. :D

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
So you have 5 horses? 3.5 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1 jumper = 5 Sounds like a barn full...

Race horses live at 1 farm, the warmblood lives with the trainer and the quarters are at another. 5 is a light load for my wife...

C-2

Reaction score
Not a warmblood...MINI!

[video]http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/05/03/pkg-mini-horse-sinkhole.whdh.html[/video]

whiteworks

Reaction score
First thing this morning, my daughter runs into our room at the crack of dawn and asks if we are ready to go see the horse. She's still mixing up her Saturdays and Sundays especially when it's beneficial to her cause. 24 hours to go little one:p

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
First thing this morning, my daughter runs into our room at the crack of dawn and asks if we are ready to go see the horse. She's still mixing up her Saturdays and Sundays especially when it's beneficial to her cause. 24 hours to go little one:p

Come on Dylan, you have to know what the poor girl is going through. Take the daughter to see the horse young man.

BigSteve

Reaction score
Wifey has a Belgian warmblood that is a real sweety. Hard to hate that one. :D

We always check out the Mustang Makeover whenever it comes to Norco; what they do with them is amazing.

The deal with track horses, especially Thoroughbred's, is that they are never treated kindly. We have an Appendix Quarter who looks great, but is still pretty hot after many years; a Quarter who was at the track, but never outgrew a slight twist in his leg..he has trust issues, although gentle, he is still stand-offish, and then my horse, a Palomino Quarter that was a track "pony", so like our Cow Dog, he's always trying to herd or bully the other horses.

Good times :thumbsup

Girls of all ages love horses :thumbsup
My mom used to run the Polo fields, just loved watching the horses everday.
Used to get to exercise ride many of them.

My first wife and her sister bought and sold hunter/ jumpers 3 day event horses
After about 20 horses I learned why I liked dirt bikes !

After spending a lots and lots of money on Vets and farriers. I started taking classes, training clinics.
Farrier workshops, spent a month on the road shoeing, with the top Farriers.

I never rode my Warm blood until he was 5 years old. Allowing the legs to fully grow strong

whiteworks

Reaction score
Nice little work out, lots of training to come. She's real young so we will just take our time. Kiddo is stoked, gonna be lots of early morning workouts in our future. This is really the fun part IMO, kinda like running a flatty first thing in the am.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399217288.215217.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399217335.473559.jpg