WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Motortrend + Shutting down

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
The media company announced that MotorTrend+ will be shut down after content from the service is fully migrated to Discovery+ and Max at the end of March. The majority of current MotorTrend+ subscribers will be automatically switched over to Discovery+’s ad-free plan by the end of March, retaining their same subscription price. The company said eligible MotorTrend+ subscribers will receive email instructions on how to access Discovery+. MotorTrend+ subs who signed up through certain third-party partners will not be moved over.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So the shows are going to continue? I must have read this wrong...

Looks that way to me? 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20240305_092642_Chrome.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So 95% of the print automotive magazines have been killed, and replaced with online content on Motortrend +.
Now Motortrend + is being axed, and absorbed by Discovery.

I can't see this ending well, they will consolidate and axe a bunch of content.
It's sad what has become of automotive journalism

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So 95% of the print automotive magazines have been killed, and replaced with online content on Motortrend +.

Don't be a negative nellie...

They already have some of the best automotive content already. This just adds to their line up!

Screenshot_20240305_094057_Chrome.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
The media company announced that MotorTrend+ will be shut down after content from the service is fully migrated to Discovery+ and Max at the end of March. The majority of current MotorTrend+ subscribers will be automatically switched over to Discovery+’s ad-free plan by the end of March, retaining their same subscription price. The company said eligible MotorTrend+ subscribers will receive email instructions on how to access Discovery+. MotorTrend+ subs who signed up through certain third-party partners will not be moved over.

Been a monthly MT paper subscriber for over 20 years, recently they announced quarterly, wonder if these means their complete demise ?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nope. I just won't pay for any more tv apps.

I get that...

I'm getting Very picky with what I'm willing to pay for as well.

If I HAD to only pick one, it would be Discovery+ for me.

I'm getting Really tired of Prime...

🤬

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I'm wondering how long it will be before the marine industry follows suit?

Magazines still seem to be the predominant space where ad dollars are spent in everything marine.. which is bizarre when even mags like playboy can't figure it out.

RD

RichL

Reaction score
I get that...

🤬
I'm with you on Prime and AT&T UVerse has me over a barrel for anything remotely reliable for internet. Trying to change that but right now the available options are slim.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I get that...

🤬
There are a few that I like.....
Paramount+ is pretty good, specially for the kids.
Motortrend+ was great for me (I guess I'll have to migrate over to Discovery+)
Hulu (I have the Disney+ bundle for the kids, the ESPN app sucks!)

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I get that...

🤬
Amazon Prime now wants to charge you an extra $3.99 a month to not see commercials. That's complete bullshit when they offer people on government assistance (EBT cards) a $40 discount on the annual Amazon Prime package.

Taboma

Reaction score

Magazines still seem to be the predominant space where ad dollars are spent in everything marine.. which is bizarre when even mags like playboy can't figure it out.

RD
When I was in Barnes and Noble on Sunday I walked out concluding it has already followed suit or had already been shuttered. With the exception of a Wooden Boat mag, I found one relating to power boating, but I believe it was "BOAT" which is fun to thumb through but mostly mega-yachts, then one for blow boaters "Sail" if I recall.
If I google the subject I see several others shown but I'm not sure if they're still monthly or quarterly. I was bummed that a magazine I grew up with, Popular Science, had stopped publishing paper after 151 years and Popular Mechanics is printing 6 issues.

I might have to get an Ipad for shitter entertainment purposes. 🤔

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
motortrend has been hit or miss lately, but it was always interesting. shame but not surprised. market for vehicles being what it is. and even if the younger crowd wants to hotrod, what can they do without the EPA up their ASS? without an unlimited bank account of course.

as far as TV goes, thank God I lost interest some time ago. just lost interest. nothing political. still have dish service. stupid expensive for basic.

i have dvr to skip commercials. that costs extra. now they have banners and bugs on the screen advertising during the show and cutting off the screen. and the one thing I did use, the weather channel had a local option, is no longer available with basic.

so it started out as me paying for service to skip ads, to paying extra for dvr to skip ads plus basic, to paying to skip ads, plus basic, plus lost channel(s), the bill has doubled in seven years as well, I now have ads that I cannot avoid no matter how much i am already paying to avoid ads.................and this will all get better if I sign up for their new and improved service? How can I lose?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I keep hearing stories about how the streaming services costs are adding up to or more than satellite or cable prices to get the same stations they regularly watch.😖

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
I keep hearing stories about how the streaming services costs are adding up to or more than satellite or cable prices to get the same stations they regularly watch.😖

and here I thought all these new "services" were to save us money.........

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Amazon Prime now wants to charge you an extra $3.99 a month to not see commercials. That's complete bullshit when they offer people on government assistance (EBT cards) a $40 discount on the annual Amazon Prime package.

I know. Totally f'd up.

And any Good movies you have to rent or buy.

I'm looking around for 4k discs again. Fuck them. 🖕

This place has a decent selection...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
and here I thought all these new "services" were to save us money.........
Honestly, some of the best automotive content has been on Youtube lately. Between Cleetus, ViceGrip, Legit Street Cars, Stay Tuned and Finnegan's channel, I have plenty of free quality auto content to watch weekly.

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
These are strange times for sure. I've worked for Discovery/Warner/Motortrend for about 14 years. There have been lots of layoffs in the last month. Several car shows cancelled and even a few that were in development got the ax before they even got off the ground. My own show has migrated from Motortrend to MAX. Hoping that's a good thing. It's certainly a different audience. All of these smaller streaming services will eventually be purchased and consolidated. What was once an alternative to cable that was less expensive and with none or at least fewer commercials will ultimately become the same thing.

cyclone

Reaction score
Honestly, some of the best automotive content has been on Youtube lately. Between Cleetus, ViceGrip, Legit Street Cars, Stay Tuned and Finnegan's channel, I have plenty of free quality auto content to watch weekly.
Thank you. I enjoy the Youtube channel. Looking forward to many more years of playing with cars, trucks, boats etc there. :)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thank you. I enjoy the Youtube channel. Looking forward to many more years of playing with cars, trucks, boats etc there. :)
You're the reason I have found all the content that I watch. I had never heard of Cleatus until you had him in Gameover. Then for Tony, I loved your guys' dynamic on Drag Week so when he got his channel I started watching and ViceGrip and Legit street cars were suggestions from there.

(BTW, I think you should do something with Alex from legit street cars. That guy seems like just a cool, massive gear head).

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
These are strange times for sure. I've worked for Discovery/Warner/Motortrend for about 14 years. There have been lots of layoffs in the last month. Several car shows cancelled and even a few that were in development got the ax before they even got off the ground. My own show has migrated from Motortrend to MAX. Hoping that's a good thing. It's certainly a different audience. All of these smaller streaming services will eventually be purchased and consolidated. What was once an alternative to cable that was less expensive and with none or at least fewer commercials will ultimately become the same thing.
I dig your shows past & present. I've learned tons of stuff about cars I didn't grow up driving or working on, we were a high end European car dealership for 40+ years. So thanks for the education, fun episodes & hilarious antics.😎👍

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I called Direct Tv today… Because my friend the judge told me that he heard motor trend was in trouble… I took it to be motor trend TV channel…
… Direct Tv knew nothing about motor trend TV channel being in trouble… so what is actually fact or fiction here… Motor trend magazine in trouble… Motor trend streaming services in trouble🤷🏽‍♀️… or motor trend TV in trouble… Or all of the above???…🤷🏽‍♀️
… I turn the TV on in the morning to motor trend TV,… channel 281 on direct… I never turn the sound on.., I have music on constantly in the background… and I am not even a stoner🤷🏽‍♀️
… bit this is how we did it back in the hippie days👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
… I called Direct Tv today… Because my friend the judge told me that he heard motor trend was in trouble… I took it to be motor trend TV channel…
… Direct Tv knew nothing about motor trend TV channel being in trouble… so what is actually fact or fiction here… Motor trend magazine in trouble… Motor trend streaming services in trouble🤷🏽‍♀️… or motor trend TV in trouble… Or all of the above???…🤷🏽‍♀️
… I turn the TV on in the morning to motor trend TV,… channel 281 on direct… I never turn the sound on.., I have music on constantly in the background… and I am not even a stoner🤷🏽‍♀️

I thought I was the only one that did this! 🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I also don't understand it going to Max.

Discovery+ makes lots of sense, since it already has a ton of automotive content.

Time will tell I suppose.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one that did this! 🤣
…Nope… in the 60s I couldn’t figure it out at first why people had their TVs on with no sound and what later became classic rock on in the background… But subsequently after smoking a few rolled up big fatty‘s I got it👍… if something looks interesting on TV… Well… That’s what her remote is for… Turn the sound up🤷🏽‍♀️

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I think I got my s
Motortrend magazine subscription for 2 years for $10. That can't be profitable.

caribbean20

Reaction score
I’m still a print magazine guy. Road & Track, Car & Driver. Hogback Road, Ann Arbor MI. Great writers, really enjoy the product.

Motor Trend has that big fancy building across from Flemings in El Segundo. Always considered them to be second rate, but still appreciate all car magazines. Hope they keep the print magazine going no matter what happens.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
You expect people to work for free?

🤷‍♂️

No I expect them to get the revenue from commercials, like they always have. IF I don't have to watch commercials then I woudn't mind paying. Amazon adding commercials has me looking at Walmart in order to get rid of Prime.

cyclone

Reaction score
The Motor Trend cable channel isn't affected by the recent changes. It's the Motor Trend Plus App/streaming platform. That will be gone by the end of the March and anyone with a current subscription will be ported over to the Discovery Plus App. I've been told all of the content on MT will be sent to Discovery Plus.

Taboma

Reaction score
I enjoy calling Direct TV because without even leaving my San Diego home, I can feel as if I've traveled to some far off exotic land, as I converse with the locals.
I find it's best to embrace that thought rather than actually expecting them to know anything.
They do employee a few Americans living on American soil, those folks are super cool and work for the Customer Retention Department.
I call them every single January to play "Let's make a Deal", when my bill skyrockets at the loss of the previous year's promotions. So annually I'm forced to portray a poor old black man scrapping by on social security begging for a new one. 🤣;)

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
so I have to get 2 channels to get all the shows now?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I miss Speed TV's wet and wild Wednesday. I know thats going way back.

I don't know how Mav TV stays around.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The Motor Trend cable channel isn't affected by the recent changes. It's the Motor Trend Plus App/streaming platform. That will be gone by the end of the March and anyone with a current subscription will be ported over to the Discovery Plus App. I've been told all of the content on MT will be sent to Discovery Plus.
Thats good news because its how I watch You, roadkill, etc. Cox charges ridicules money for unlimited data so streaming for me is not cost affective.

I have Dish which is an issue all to its own.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Good riddance. There’s a ton of hard working YouTubers out there doing car, truck, boat, airplane, bus, home, racing, you name it builds out there for FREE. Not some paid conglomerate multi billion dollar media service wanting to charge an arm and a leg so you can watch 10 minutes of actual content riddled with 5 minute ads every other 5 minutes. I’d rather watch a real person busting their ass and getting things done.

If you haven’t already go check out cleetus McFarland, tavarish, Adam lz, deboss garage, emeilia Hartford, clay millican, goonzquad, etc etc on YouTube. Hell mike finegan posts here and his YouTube channel keeps me engaged way more than any of his other stuff did. And he just films out of his garage.

D19

Reaction score
I read somewhere months ago that Jesse James was launching a platform with Paul Sr, Billy Lane and others. Is that still moving forward?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Thanks…I try to keep things as simple as possible … I don’t use my laptop anymore and I don’t have an iPad… Everything is done from my iPhone 11… with the exception of the motor trend channel which is on my TV …through DIRECTV… not too many apps on my phone at all…I don’t see the need.🤷🏽‍♀️
… although I do pay the $18 a month for YouTube… Lotta igood stuff there… also Facebook… Which I swore I would never join… is starting to have some fairly interesting things there… free…

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

RD
This tells me the marine industry needs some demographic research on the media their customers consume…the money goes to magazines because they have no idea where else to put it.

It’s 2024 fer chrissakes

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I miss Speed TV's wet and wild Wednesday. I know thats going way back.

I don't know how Mav TV stays around.

What about American Speed & Beauty hosted by Dallas Raines?

I think that was TNN channel though?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This tells me the marine industry needs some demographic research on the media their customers consume…the money goes to magazines because they have no idea where else to put it.

It’s 2024 fer chrissakes

Personally...

I kinna like this guy's work. Harry Potter pulled it off somehow, but it's tough to get this sorta thing in a magazine these days.