WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

mortar less wall experts/ block wall question

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I’ve had the opportunity to build 7 or 8 retaining walls throughout my home remodel and pre utility days. The stacked stone mortar walls really weren’t a thing then. I’m doing one now at our house and have a couple questions.
1. Do you block fill the cavities with gravel or a block fill mortar?
2. Do you backfill with a barrier and gravel like a normal retaining wall? Only going up 3-4’ but don’t want the mud to bleed through during the rains.
IMG_1063.png

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I used those on the beach of our river place. It’s been in place for 15 years and zero issues. Did nothing but stack them. Didn’t fill the cells at all.

Of course the first row and making it level with a good base is the most critical aspect.

Once we backfilled with dirt they were strong as hell and zero issues.

WYRD

Reaction score
I had a wall like that and didn't use anything at all. But if I had it all to do over again I would fill it with sand or gravel because it was a perfect Hideout Haven for black widows and other creepy

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Usually a horizontal webbed barrier is used between layers at the 4' level.
No need for anything else.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I’ve had the opportunity to build 7 or 8 retaining walls throughout my home remodel and pre utility days. The stacked stone mortar walls really weren’t a thing then. I’m doing one now at our house and have a couple questions.
1. Do you block fill the cavities with gravel or a block fill mortar?
2. Do you backfill with a barrier and gravel like a normal retaining wall? Only going up 3-4’ but don’t want the mud to bleed through during the rains. View attachment 1287203
Did mine about 20 years ago. No block fill or barrier.
IMG_6835.jpeg

sonicss31

Reaction score
Watched an episode recently on This Old House and they did fill the blocks with loose gravel. Maybe something to do with being in the Northeast?

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I did this wall about 2 years ago. I don’t have any recent pics, but the concrete walkway to the backyard is in and theres 18 roses and bottlebrush planted.
Look up “Stanley the Dirt Monkey“ on you tube. He explains a lot. Lots of clean 3/4” gravel, no weed barrier, and you need drainage behind the wall at the footing. I reluctantly did it and was shocked at the amount of water that drains out the ends from behind the wall. I filled the cores and glued the caps. I also built some steps to match the wall at another part of the property. I poured a slab, and built them upward, backfilled with gravel.

65206801096__E39F556E-5277-49B3-B35A-1DF5E30BB772.jpeg
IMG_3571.jpeg
IMG_3574.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I did this wall about 2 years ago. I don’t have any recent pics, but the concrete walkway to the backyard is in and theres 18 roses and bottlebrush planted.
Look up “Stanley the Dirt Monkey“ on you tube. He explains a lot. Lots of clean 3/4” gravel, no weed barrier, and you need drainage behind the wall at the footing. I reluctantly did it and was shocked at the amount of water that drains out the ends from behind the wall. I filled the cores and glued the caps. I also built some steps to match the wall at another part of the property. I poured a slab, and built them upward, backfilled with gravel.

View attachment 1287379 View attachment 1287380 View attachment 1287381 View attachment 1287382 View attachment 1287383
Real good info! I guess my question is why backfill with gravel if you don’t use a cloth/weed barrier to separate It from the mud? Won’t the dirt just bleed into the backfilled rock at the first rain?

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Real good info! I guess my question is why backfill with gravel if you don’t use a cloth/weed barrier to separate It from the mud? Won’t the dirt just bleed into the backfilled rock at the first rain?
Apparently the weed barrier/geo fabric will clog with dirt and increase the outward pressure on the wall. The rock will percolate water down to the drainage pipe. It can also relieve water out ward through the block if it got really bad. Check out his videos.