WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More "reality TV" exposed

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Anything on TV...is entertainment.

House Hunters Has Been Selling You a Big Lie

There are many of us who love House Hunters, the ridiculously addictive show on HGTV about people who are, you guessed it, hunting for houses. And while we have long known in our hearts that much, if not all, of the show is staged and as fake a faux brick exterior, there is now seriously concrete proof that it is nothing but smoke-colored paint and outdated mirrors.

Hooked on Houses has a first person account from a woman named Bobi who was on the show with her family. Her tale of HH stardom is equal parts illuminating and illusion-shattering. She says the producers made up a whole story for her episode about how her family needed a bigger house in Texas, even though that wasn't why they were moving at all. They wouldn't even have her on the show until they'd already closed on their new house, and then they had to rush to find other houses for them to pretend to be interested in. They ended up touring two of their friends' houses which weren't even on the market - and which their friends had to clean meticulously to earn the house its 15 minutes of "fame."

This, of course, means most of the house hunter's reactions are fake and have to be acted out multiple times, which explains why they sound so silly when they say things like "I don't like this paint color" as though it's a dealbreaker. Alas, the dream of house-hunting being as simple as 1, 2, 3 was too good to be true! Though this knowledge shouldn't stop you from watching, because now you can use this inside information to get really good at the game where you guess which house they'll "choose" in the end. And you can start a brand new game where you judge the shoppers on their acting abilities instead of their ridiculous demands for massive closets.

Linky:
http://jezebel.com/5917631/house-hunters-has-been-selling-you-a-big-lie

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
True.

My cousin was on the show. They just bought a 6k foot home and the show moved them out.

:D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
My understanding of HH is that one of the three houses will be empty with no furniture. That's the one they bought. You don't have to watch to the end to know which house they pick. I knew they wouldn't shoot the show until the purchase already closed.

Several of those shows work that way.

There are so many flakes, the show would suck without a bit of misrepresentation.

How would you like to have 3 of 4 episodes have sales fall through because the buyers thought they could afford a new home but it turned out they couldn't afford to pay off the overdue books on their library card.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We watch that show occasionally and have always assumed it was fake. Still nice to see housing prices in other parts of the country.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
How would you like to have 3 of 4 episodes have sales fall through because the buyers thought they could afford a new home but it turned out they couldn't afford to pay off the overdue books on their library card.

Tom, we're in America.
It's perfectly OK to buy a home that you can't afford.

V.O.R.F

STAY OFF THE ROVER
Reaction score
Only show I've seen thats more fake is "Flippin Vegas" on A&E

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
What about "Love it or List it" ? I can't believe the kind of (stated) money people are spending on old Shi#boxes and expecting it to end up like a different house. I like "Holmes on Homes" it's often funny. IMHO it would 'kill' Holmes if he worked on anything in Havasu, because each builder here 'has his own codes' ! HA HA

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We too like Holmes on Homes. We like how he explains everything in great detail.

What about "Love it or List it" ? I can't believe the kind of (stated) money people are spending on old Shi#boxes and expecting it to end up like a different house. I like "Holmes on Homes" it's often funny. IMHO it would 'kill' Holmes if he worked on anything in Havasu, because each builder here 'has his own codes' ! HA HA

PVHCA

Reaction score
Just don't tell me Duck Dynasty is fake!!

TrojanDan

Reaction score
I have a good friend who's a Board Member here. His wife is a RE Agent in the SGV/Pasadena Area. She was on an episode of House Hunters several years back as one of the listing agents. Part of the deal is the buying couple already has a house selected (and in escrow) and the show just brings them through two additional houses just for the taping. My wife is addicted to the HH International just because she loves to travel. :cool:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Shit, next thing you know someone will tell us the Tooth Fairy is fake too.:rolleyes:
I certainly watch these shows with the realization that some parts are staged in order to film it and other parts are a little more true. Perfect example is how the show hosts shows up at the door for the "first time ever" yet there is a cameraman inside filming it.

V.O.R.F

STAY OFF THE ROVER
Reaction score
They are a flipping crack up, that's for sure.

the uncle could probably have his own show.

when the two old farts went to career day and the uncle was telling the 8 year olds about Vietnam and everyone dieing I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Hey, whata you guys know about wrestling? ;)

nothing fake about a 300 pound man in a speedo jumping on top of you from a top rope. its not "fake gay"

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
Only show I've seen thats more fake is "Flippin Vegas" on A&E

Anyone see "the devils ride"????:blah::blah:

There was a marathon of it on the other day... A "Reality" show about a motorcycle club.
This is about as far from "reality" as I could imagine.

RLJ676

Reaction score
Anything on TV...is entertainment.

House Hunters Has Been Selling You a Big Lie

There are many of us who love House Hunters, the ridiculously addictive show on HGTV about people who are, you guessed it, hunting for houses. And while we have long known in our hearts that much, if not all, of the show is staged and as fake a faux brick exterior, there is now seriously concrete proof that it is nothing but smoke-colored paint and outdated mirrors.

Hooked on Houses has a first person account from a woman named Bobi who was on the show with her family. Her tale of HH stardom is equal parts illuminating and illusion-shattering. She says the producers made up a whole story for her episode about how her family needed a bigger house in Texas, even though that wasn't why they were moving at all. They wouldn't even have her on the show until they'd already closed on their new house, and then they had to rush to find other houses for them to pretend to be interested in. They ended up touring two of their friends' houses which weren't even on the market - and which their friends had to clean meticulously to earn the house its 15 minutes of "fame."

This, of course, means most of the house hunter's reactions are fake and have to be acted out multiple times, which explains why they sound so silly when they say things like "I don't like this paint color" as though it's a dealbreaker. Alas, the dream of house-hunting being as simple as 1, 2, 3 was too good to be true! Though this knowledge shouldn't stop you from watching, because now you can use this inside information to get really good at the game where you guess which house they'll "choose" in the end. And you can start a brand new game where you judge the shoppers on their acting abilities instead of their ridiculous demands for massive closets.

Linky:
http://jezebel.com/5917631/house-hunters-has-been-selling-you-a-big-lie

Gettin in touch w/ your feminine side on jezebel? :D

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Both of the "reality shows" I watched get filmed had little to do with reality and everything to do with scripted...........

koenig

Reaction score
Anyone see "the devils ride"????:blah::blah:

There was a marathon of it on the other day... A "Reality" show about a motorcycle club.
This is about as far from "reality" as I could imagine.

I watched it for a few minutes and from that determined that the club was created for the show.

RLJ676

Reaction score
I pulled it from a friend's Facbook post...I swear! :skull

Haha. Been tricked into reading there from jalopnik....man what a bunch of crunchy granola man-hating lesbos!

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
I watched it for a few minutes and from that determined that the club was created for the show.

And second rate actors were hired to be members...

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
the uncle could probably have his own show.

when the two old farts went to career day and the uncle was telling the 8 year olds about Vietnam and everyone dieing I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

They're 'Duck Call" Place is down the road from where I'am at.. The old man turned down a NFL carrer to do what he liked best and that was hunting...In fact if you google Phil Robertson you can read where he and Terry Bradshaw went to School together and after he turned down the NFL The NFL turned to Bradshaw...

Gotta be one of the best show's they have out there.. "Uncle CI" Is one funny dude..

westair

Reaction score

I just watched one, dont know if its a new one or old, but the ex pres is starting a new MC and I can see the script all coming together! ... SOA and the Mayan's all over again!:thumbsdown

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I have a good friend who's a Board Member here. His wife is a RE Agent in the SGV/Pasadena Area. She was on an episode of House Hunters several years back as one of the listing agents. Part of the deal is the buying couple already has a house selected (and in escrow) and the show just brings them through two additional houses just for the taping. My wife is addicted to the HH International just because she loves to travel. :cool:

Yup. The only reason we watch it is to see what else is out there and check out the houses on locations on HH international.

RVRKID

Reaction score
shreve"T";1086067 said:
They're 'Duck Call" Place is down the road from where I'am at.. The old man turned down a NFL carrer to do what he liked best and that was hunting...In fact if you google Phil Robertson you can read where he and Terry Bradshaw went to School together and after he turned down the NFL The NFL turned to Bradshaw...

Gotta be one of the best show's they have out there.. "Uncle CI" Is one funny dude..

I didn't know that, pretty impressive and a good read.
http://college-football.si.com/2012...rtson-found-stardom-after-giving-up-football/

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
I know for a FACT some of HH is bs. Maybe not all, but some. For certain I know a person and his "wife" looking for a house. In reality, not looking for a house, not married, not a "real" search either.

Myth Busted.

:skull

koenig

Reaction score
And second rate actors were hired to be members...

Yep, really bad acting.

I just watched one, dont know if its a new one or old, but the ex pres is starting a new MC and I can see the script all coming together! ... SOA and the Mayan's all over again!:thumbsdown

They needed some biker conflict without having a real MC come after them.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
to my wife....

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

:D:champagne:

Yep, both my wife and daughter were pissed at me last night when I was proving the "hoky-ness" of these shows. Said I was taking all the fun out of watching them.
And, I called which house the couple would pick before even seeing all three just by the way they were acting.:D

Ultra28

Reaction score
The Laffing Devils was a real MC. They used to hang out at the two bars my wife worked at. I got to know a lot of them well. They were all some ok guys. They definately were not some bad ass biker club that the show wanted to portray them as. I know first hand how a production company can change things around and make you repeat things for the camera, so it makes it look staged (which it technically is) or bad acting ( again, which it technically is, beacause thay aren't actors that are being told what to say and do).

Since the show started to air the club is pretty much done, gone, finished. The guys are mostly in hiding or at least aren't going out anymore. Two of the guys got beat bad by a real biker, he took their cuts from them. Billy stepped away all together, he really looked like a douche on the show. He is not at all like he was shown on the show. Juice really did pass away last month and everything about him on the show was real. The guy was a train wreck, but he loved the club more than anything.

I'm not saying reality tv is real. It isn't. It really should be illegal for the shows to call themselves reality. Especially shows like Operation Repo or Hardcore Pawn.

I'm just saying that the Laffing Devils was a real MC with real members that has been around for over five years now.

koenig

Reaction score
So the show has made the Laffing Devils kind of a joke. Bet they regret doing the show!