WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury Racing 525 EFI, 390 hrs

jimbo5o

Reaction score
Good day,
I don't post much here, but respect the opinions of most members. Have a boat question for the experts here. I'm looking at a nice boat with a 525 with 390 hrs, I understand that the valvetrain should be refreshed at around 250 hrs. This one has never been touched, should I steer clear? Pull the trigger and have the valvetrain done? what kind of life should be left in this motor? Not wanting to spend 50K on a boat and immediately have to drop another 5-10K on engine work before the boat ever gets wet.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Have a mechanic perform a leak down and compression test prior to purchase.

Most likely the compression is good. So may just need to refresh the heads. Valve job and new springs. 500-750 at a machine shop plus the labor to r&r the heads and exhaust.

C08H18

Reaction score
I’m in a similar position and asked a few shops. Feedback is to do a top end refresh at 300 hours ($2800-$3000) and motor should be good till 600+ hours. I would check compression before purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I’m in a similar position and asked a few shops. Feedback is to do a top end refresh at 300 hours ($2800-$3000) and motor should be good till 600+ hours. I would check compression before purchasing.

Should go longer than 600hrs if not beaten.

C08H18

Reaction score
Should go longer than 600hrs if not beaten.

The shops recommended top end should be refreshed every 300. Not implying the motor is done at 600. I have 800 hrs on ski boat and it shows no wear.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Great motors, both my Cigarette and Formula had 525's, on both of them at 400 hrs i had the top ends done, everything was great except for weak valve springs.
So i would say yes buy it, do the top ends and enjoy lots of time with it,
i would be more concerned about the headers unless it has stainless marine headers, the CMI headers are fantastic for leaking after a couple of years and that can take out your motor.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Great motors, both my Cigarette and Formula had 525's, on both of them at 400 hrs i had the top ends done, everything was great except for weak valve springs.
So i would say yes buy it, do the top ends and enjoy lots of time with it,
i would be more concerned about the headers unless it has stainless marine headers, the CMI headers are fantastic for leaking after a couple of years and that can take out your motor.
I was thinking the same thing, the headers would be more concerning at those hours. It still needs the top end done and the number I always heard was ~$3k which would be good peace of mind regardless.

guest hs

Reaction score
Valve job springs and new lifters should be good to go buy I have seen many go way past 400 hours I really feel it depends on how it has been used. A race application 300 yes

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
You could always ask the seller to drop the price to cover the scheduled maintenance that hasn’t been performed.

Before you do that I would take it to a good mechanic and have them do a leak down / compression test, hook the engine up to their computer and scan hours / rpms etc, also have them do a drive check. Those can get expensive to repair as well.

guest hs

Reaction score
This is good advice. Get the run history pulled from it and that will tell you a lot. I scanned a guys boat last week 496 HO it 325 hours of run time 201 of it was at idle speed probably a channel cruiser. If you found that the boat your are purchasing was run like this I would buy it with no reserve what so ever. You could easily get 100-200 more hours out of the top end depending on how you drive it and maintenance of course.