WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Marathon Florida Boating

hallett21

Reaction score
Ok last minute advise is appreciated.

Wife and I are on our way to rent a CC for the day. Going out of Marathon Florida. Going to be in a 24-27ft CC with either twin 150s or single 200-250 outboard.

Any bars, sandbars, or attractions to go see? Contemplating going down towards key west. Says its 40 miles approximately. Is that worth the trip?

Thanks!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Wife and I are on our way to rent a CC for the day. Going out of Marathon Florida. Going to be in a 24-27ft CC with either twin 150s or single 200-250 outboard.

Any bars, sandbars, or attractions to go see? Contemplating going down towards key west. Says its 40 miles approximately. Is that worth the trip?

Thanks!
Sounds awesome. Report back. Details on renting?

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score

Thanks!

I came through yesterday afternoon and ran to KW
Rent the twins if you are heading here
If not get the single and head to a reef and tie off of a spa ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
upload1572884948.769937.jpg
upload1572884972.962235.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
So we’re only allowed 10 miles from marathon. Running a single 225 Yamaha. I got my boat us card on stand by lol.

So far so good. Going to the 7mile bridge.

Fuck those crab traps

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
So we’re only allowed 10 miles from marathon. Running a single 225 Yamaha. I got my boat us card on stand by lol.

Fuck those crap traps

Tripleb has a saying he learned.

It has to do with the color of the water.

Something like....

Brown brown you'll run aground
Green green is real keen

Dont remember the rest.

If its brown looking bottom, stay CLEAR!
SHALLOW AS FUCK!

every trip down there we saw rental boats tipped over crooked on sand bars.... :eek::eek:

Have fun!

Headless hula

Reaction score

Fuck those crap traps

As long as you're headed westish....
Stop at sunset grill and raw bar. Its literally next to the bridge. Nice docks there. Food is good too. :D

Good for lunch anyway.

Headless hula

Reaction score
You'll definitely want to have dinner at castaway. John, the owner goes and spear fishes for lionfish. Since irma, the spearfishing isnt as good, but you wont find better sushi on marathon.
I highly recommend a volcano roll. :D

Taboma

Reaction score
You'll definitely want to have dinner at castaway. John, the owner goes and spear fishes for lionfish. Since irma, the spearfishing isnt as good, but you wont find better sushi on marathon.
I highly recommend a volcano roll. :D

Lion Fish :eek::eek: Aren't those the ones that can be Sushi to die for --- I mean as in DEAD :eek::eek:

Taboma

Reaction score
View attachment 813360

Years ago wife and I while touring Florida (After her work conference was over) stayed at Sanibel Island and rented a fun little outboard to do some exploring.
Stopped at a small island and anchored the boat in knee deep water and started beach-combing. Got about two football fields up the beach and turned back to see that our rental boat was now BLACK with birds. Made a bee-line back, but by the time we'd gotten there pretty much everything we'd bought and brought for our lunch picnic had been eaten :mad::mad: Those crafty fucks found a way to get into everything, but I must admit, they did an amazing job of cleaning up after themselves, barely a crumb could be found. :p At least they couldn't get my beer open :D

hallett21

Reaction score
IMG_4433.jpg

The boat.

It did alright. No trim tabs was kinda hard to get the boat to take a set. But overall great day. I could totally see coming down with friends and doing some fishing and diving.

We covered 65 miles and burned about 20 gallons of fuel.

Headless hula

Reaction score
The "path" to castaway looks a little sketchy. Dont be put off.... park the rental in the tiny lot and wander in. You wont regret it!!

hallett21

Reaction score
The "path" to castaway looks a little sketchy. Dont be put off.... park the rental in the tiny lot and wander in. You wont regret it!!

That’s the sushi joint right?

Think that’s where we’re going for dinner

hallett21

Reaction score
So this boat cost 328.00 plus fuel. Seemed like a screaming deal to me vs havasu or Powell boat rentals.

Coco’s boat rentals is who we went through. Guys were cool and I think one of them was from havasu.

Just a heads up to anyone. You need a boater safety card. I did the temporary Florida card that’s good for 90 days. One rental company wouldn’t accept that cert and wanted the 4 hour boat us course.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Burdines, which is a bit further south of there is really a dive. Not a fan.

Maybe if @sonicss31 is around?
Hey Charlie, you up north this week?

hallett21

Reaction score
Also who’s the guy who thought crab buoys should be painted purple and dark green?

Couldn’t see them until you’re 100ft from them.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Spending a week in Islamorada after Christmas and was thinking of renting a boat. We were surprised how inexpensive it was.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Spending a week in Islamorada after Christmas and was thinking of renting a boat. We were surprised how inexpensive it was.
Spend some time at the worldwide sportsman. Neat store, with a bit of museum tossed in. The restaurant next to it is pretty good eats too.

sonicss31

Reaction score
Spend some time at the worldwide sportsman. Neat store, with a bit of museum tossed in. The restaurant next to it is pretty good eats too.
Better yet eat at The Square Groupers’ new location about 2 miles south of there. You won’t be disappointed

hallett21

Reaction score

I’d highly recommend the guys we rented from due to their attitude and friendliness. I did find nicer boats for rent on the island though. For instance a 2017 Grady white equivalent boat with twin 150 Yamahas and a pretty trick interior was 375.00 a day. I’m sure there’s fees etc.

If we do it again I would be a little more picky about hull deadrise and tabs.

In the 1-2ft chop our Hallett vector with tabs runs 100% better than the boat we had. When we got into the bigger rough stuff you needed displacement, which our boat had.