WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Make-a-wish

WYRD

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of families here on RDP that have kiddos with medical conditions. Does anybody have any experience with Make-A-Wish?

Our son has a condition called MMIHS

My wife coordinated with Make-A-Wish a couple years ago when he was 8 to 9 years old. At the time of his interview to his top wishes were to meet Guy Fieri and maybe attend a filming of Guy's Grocery Games as that was one of his favorite shows. He's always loved cooking shows.

His second top wish was to attend a live match of BattleBots. We watched the show as a family all the time and rooted for the teams the same way sports fans cheer for their favorite teams.
His favorite was witch doctor.

Make a wish reached out to us and said they were working on setting up Mark's wish for BattleBots. My wife and I thought that was a really cool since at the time we were considering taking our son to Vegas to see a show ourselves. But we opted not to thinking that make a wish would be an incredible opportunity for him to see a show with a little VIP treatment. Almost 2 years had gone by and every time we reached out to make a wish they just let us know they were working on it.

as Mark got a little older he spent less and less time watching these types of shows and migrated into social based video games with his friends. Like Roblox and fortnite. So my wife finally reached out and asked if it would be possible to change his wish which which they granted. After talking with Mark about it he kind of wasn't interested in either of the two wishes he had originally made. So we talked to him about some potential options and he showed a lot of interest in a gaming computer setup since that's what he's into now.

we reached out to his Make-a-Wish team and they said they could grant that wish for a gaming computer. We were told to go online with a certain budget and pick out what we wanted. Recently we were contacted by make a wish with a date they wanted to present. It's July 22nd. My wife asked about the process and she was told that they typically just bring in some food and present the generous gift. They purchased all of the computer items from Best Buy. Not sure if they set the computer up or basically Handover the boxes?

We would like to make it a little more special for him so we're looking for some kind of ideas from others who have gone through the make a wish process. We were thinking on getting him one of those gaming trailers since it relates to his wish. I was also thinking about picking up him and a few of his friends in a limousine or something.

Anybody have any experience planning something like this?

WYRD

Reaction score
My cousins son is missing a chromosome and cannot stand, sit, eat, breathe on his own. Make-a-wish gave the entire family a Disney cruise.
We have heard of some really great experience wishes. They are a great Foundation and have been great to work with. In our experience with them the nature of the wish has a lot to do with the presentation. Disney actually caters to wish families and even has an entire section of their hotel dedicated for them in Orlando. We really tried to let our son come up with the wishes all on his own and he's never really been big into amusement parks. From what we were told from our wish team is that celebrity type wishes and extravagant vacations take a very very long time to pull together.