WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Low voltage lighting - best waterproof connectors - what do you recommend?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I will not use those silicone/gel-filled wire nuts - I know I can wrap 'em in electrical tape but I'm looking for something better to protect outdoor low voltage (lighting, sprinkler valve wires, etc.) connections
images

There are a number of other types and designs and cost up to around $7.00 each. I'm looking for a dependable, quality, waterproof connection that won't break the bank since I need a bunch of them.

These are some of what shows up in a Google search...

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 11.02.25 PM.png

Berdes

Reaction score
I will not use those silicone/gel-filled wire nuts - I know I can wrap 'em in electrical tape but I'm looking for something better to protect outdoor low voltage (lighting, sprinkler valve wires, etc.) connections
images

There are a number of other types and designs and cost up to around $7.00 each. I'm looking for a dependable, quality, waterproof connection that won't break the bank since I need a bunch of them.

These are some of what shows up in a Google search...

View attachment 893957
Try with a local well drilling company. Been a long time, but I remember the connector had a filling in it that oozed out each end when crimped or shrink wrapped on.
Been on my well for 20 years and still solid.

Icky

Reaction score
The make adhesive line heat shrink tubing as well as butt connectors. When they are heat shrinked the adhesive melts and seals the connections

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Marine grade heat shrink tube. Like others have mentioned, it has a kind of hot glue lining that seals the connection during the heating / shrinking process.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I use the blue one pictured. I’ve tried the longer tube style ones and they are horrible. I haven’t had a failure with the blue ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Reaction score

Heylam

Reaction score
I pre twist the wires together and then just use regular wire nuts that I fill the cavity with silicone sealant before screwing on. Work fine for me.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I like the idea of butt connectors and shrink tubing. In reading about shrink tubing I found a mention of "dual wall" heat shrink tubing for waterproof applications

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
If you need something that might be unplugged from time to time, I would use Weather-Pac connectors. The downside is that you need special tools to affix them to your wires but they look professional, seal great and wont corrode.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Evidently, they guys the previous owner hired, who installed the LV wiring at my house, thought wire nuts and several wraps of electrical tape was good enough.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Spears DS-100 is the way to go. You can get them at irrigation supply stores.

This looks great, thanks! I was considering the solder in-line connectors and dual wall shrink tube with adhesive but these are much easier and should work really well.

I'm looking for a price and availability online for the Spears Dri-Splice DS-100 that are below the sky high prices the irrigation and pool places sell them for. Instead I found these DryConn version - I like that these products can handle a range of wire gauges from 18 to 10 gauge and they're not in-line as the wires I'm dealing with are typically side-by-side pigtails not inline

20245_1.jpg

I found them on Amazon but for a little more I can get them from Home Depot as I'm trying not to buy from Amazon

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Evidently, they guys the previous owner hired, who installed the LV wiring at my house, thought wire nuts and several wraps of electrical tape was good enough.

I've seen that all over. Most likely done by the "landscape professionals" who barely know how to mow, trim and blow. Many of them will screw up your sprinkler and low voltage lighting systems quickly and take the customers' money and run

jesco

Reaction score
Wire nut wrapped with electrical tape and bury the connection so that the wire nut is point up so it wont "cup" the water. You can put noalox in the wire nut, that will help with corrosion.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Brown drycon dry crimp put in hundreds of them and never had a problem with the connection

HPBoats83

Reaction score
This looks great, thanks! I was considering the solder in-line connectors and dual wall shrink tube with adhesive but these are much easier and should work really well.

I'm looking for a price and availability online for the Spears Dri-Splice DS-100 that are below the sky high prices the irrigation and pool places sell them for. Instead I found these DryConn version - I like that these products can handle a range of wire gauges from 18 to 10 gauge and they're not in-line as the wires I'm dealing with are typically side-by-side pigtails not inline

20245_1.jpg

I found them on Amazon but for a little more I can get them from Home Depot as I'm trying not to buy from Amazon

King Innovation makes the exact same thing for less money than the Spears. Depending on location you can find them at Site One Landscape, Ewing Irrigation, Imperial Sprinkler Supply just to name a few. These are what the pros use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Always wrap your nuts.
If you don't know how to wrap your nuts properly, practice, practice practice. :p

WhatExit?

Reaction score

20245_1.jpg

King Innovation makes the exact same thing for less money than the Spears. Depending on location you can find them at Site One Landscape, Ewing Irrigation, Imperial Sprinkler Supply just to name a few. These are what the pros use.

Yes, the brown DryConn's are made by King Innovation and they're available through Home Depot for, from what I've seen, a LOT less than the sprinkler and irrigation stores...

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Wire but, electrical tape and good old scotchkote