WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Loving our new house in NH

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
This new state stuff is pretty cool. Loving life so far.
Wifey loves posting sunset pictures as I subtly prepare for our first winter here.
Got some asphalt laid out back. Shed to store some shit.
Got two generators. House is pre wired for generator. Got a freezer in the basement.

Am I missing anything?

IMG_4271.jpeg

Nordie

Reaction score
I spent the one summer working for my uncle in Norther Illinois, and part of that was helping prep for winter. Here's some of my observations.

Make sure to buy ethanol free fuel and store with stabil. Also mice love eating wires, and building nests in carburetors, (we found this out when we went to fire up the log splitter). I would say to keep that in mind for your snow blower/generators. Buy your bags of salt for your driveway, you won't always need it, but it's nice to have when you need it.

If you're not splitting wood, and you have wood burning you should probably have a wood shed and a stockpile of wood now. If you don't have wood burning you'll be fine as long as your backup generator is on the ready. Make sure you have a big enough backup generator, and hopefully you have radiant flooring.

Save up for an ice fishing cabin and get a new hobby. As soon as it started getting cold in Illinois my ass was out of there. So my last recommendation is start looking at property in Florida so you're always in nice weather lol.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I spent the one summer working for my uncle in Norther Illinois, and part of that was helping prep for winter. Here's some of my observations.

Make sure to buy ethanol free fuel and store with stabil. Also mice love eating wires, and building nests in carburetors, (we found this out when we went to fire up the log splitter). I would say to keep that in mind for your snow blower/generators. Buy your bags of salt for your driveway, you won't always need it, but it's nice to have when you need it.

If you're not splitting wood, and you have wood burning you should probably have a wood shed and a stockpile of wood now. If you don't have wood burning you'll be fine as long as your backup generator is on the ready. Make sure you have a big enough backup generator, and hopefully you have radiant flooring.

Save up for an ice fishing cabin and get a new hobby. As soon as it started getting cold in Illinois my ass was out of there. So my last recommendation is start looking at property in Florida so you're always in nice weather lol.
Thanks Josh.
Don’t have a wood stove. All my gas has stabil,
Have a bag of de-icer that our kid got for us before we moved in.
And yea, we might be snow birds if this shit is too much for us.
We shall see. 😁

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Never needed to worry about it in CA but try to use only non-ethanol gasoline in all of your equipment. Anything diesel, get anti gel additive so your fuel doesn’t freeze or clog up your filter.

I use Power Service anti gel and am pretty happy with it. One 26oz bottle treats 100 gallons. Worked well for me to about -10.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Did you buy a "snow banker"? That's a cheap throw away car to drive in the winter so the salt doesn't turn your nice car into a rust bucket.

We used to oil our cars. Drill holes on the doors and squirt oil over everything. They probably don't do that anymore.

Go find a big empty parking lot somewhere and on the first snow, go out and do donuts until you get your "snow legs".

Make sure you have your ice scraper and snow brush in your car.

If you have to leave your car outside take a large trash bag and put it over your windshield. Open both doors and trap the ends of the bag between the door and the A pillars.

Have you purchased your Sorel's?

How about a sled (snowmobile)?

Book your rooms and flight for a February Florida trip early. You'll have cabin fever by then and will want a break.

Watch reruns of this show all winter. 🤣

1694999367815.png

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Ice scrapper/brush for each car. Remember to keep your wiper blades from freezing to the windshield...and don't used the wipers with ice still on the glass...turns out it's like draging a squeegee over stucco, bad on the blades :oops:

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Slow down when driving until you get used to it.
Unhook all of your exterior water hoses, drain, and store in the basement or garage.
Put a couple of bricks or landscaping blocks in front of that a/c unit so you don't hit it with the snowblower and shovel.
Take it easy with the sidewalk salt (deicer), it is corrosive to plants, wiring, metal hinges on the shed, and door thresholds.
Shovel everything away from the house, don't leave a small pile there. In February and March it will turn to ice and cause trouble. It will melt during the day and freeze at night causing glare ice on that new asphalt.
Other than that, welcome to the north!! Enjoy it and get out to some winter activities, cabin fever is real.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Did you buy a "snow banker"? That's a cheap throw away car to drive in the winter so the salt doesn't turn your nice car into a rust bucket.

We used to oil our cars. Drill holes on the doors and squirt oil over everything. They probably don't do that anymore.

Go find a big empty parking lot somewhere and on the first snow, go out and do donuts until you get your "snow legs".

Make sure you have your ice scraper and snow brush in your car.

If you have to leave your car outside take a large trash bag and put it over your windshield. Open both doors and trap the ends of the bag between the door and the A pillars.

Have you purchased your Sorel's?

How about a sled (snowmobile)?

Book your rooms and flight for a February Florida trip early. You'll have cabin fever by then and will want a break.

Watch reruns of this show all winter. 🤣

View attachment 1279112
Don’t know where to start.

Brought my two wheel drive 2002 Silverado 2500HD. More than a few have drooled over it. It’s never been in snow.

Our other two rides are all wheel so I think I’m good In that department.

Sorrels. That’s a blast.

Snowmobile might be in the mix. We shall see.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Slow down when driving until you get used to it.
Unhook all of your exterior water hoses, drain, and store in the basement or garage.
Put a couple of bricks or landscaping blocks in front of that a/c unit so you don't hit it with the snowblower and shovel.
Take it easy with the sidewalk salt (deicer), it is corrosive to plants, wiring, metal hinges on the shed, and door thresholds.
Shovel everything away from the house, don't leave a small pile there. In February and March it will turn to ice and cause trouble. It will melt during the day and freeze at night causing glare ice on that new asphalt.
Other than that, welcome to the north!! Enjoy it and get out to some winter activities, cabin fever is real.
Thanks. I’ve driven in snow a lot. Wifey never has. Good thing a coworker of her’s lives in our neighborhood and has offered to drive her to the hospital where they work on snow days.
If not, I’ll drive her. It’s like 20 minutes away. 😁

snowhammer

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve driven in snow a lot. Wifey never has. Good thing a coworker of her’s lives in our neighborhood and has offered to drive her to the hospital where they work on snow days.
If not, I’ll drive her. It’s like 20 minutes away. 😁
A bag of kitty litter in the trunk, it makes for great traction under the tires.

eand28

Reaction score
Don’t know where to start.

Brought my two wheel drive 2002 Silverado 2500HD. More than a few have drooled over it. It’s never been in snow.

Our other two rides are all wheel so I think I’m good In that department.

Sorrels. That’s a blast.

Snowmobile might be in the mix. We shall see.
If you want to keep your Silverado nice, park it from November thru March

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
1695002328592.jpeg

Do they sell “Round Up” in your new town?
J/K. New home looks great.

endobear

Reaction score
Plastic edge bladed shovels for your decks and stairs. You don't want to tear up your decking shoveling the snow off. I keep separate shovels for decks or concrete.
I'll shovel multiple times during a storm.
Let it sit to long and it's a pain. Plan were im placing the snow.
Good all seasons, snow tires or studs are a must. Even with awd.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
A couple 5 gallon buckets of fluid film and a sprayer to keep your cars from rusting out from under you. Its a beautiful area back there...I just can't understand how folks can deal with 100K vehicles disappearing every 5 years or so.

4Waters

Reaction score
Thanks Josh.
Don’t have a wood stove. All my gas has stabil,
Have a bag of de-icer that our kid got for us before we moved in.
And yea, we might be snow birds if this shit is too much for us.
We shall see. 😁
I hear Havasu absolutely loves snowbirds 🤣

HBCraig

Reaction score
This new state stuff is pretty cool. Loving life so far.
Wifey loves posting sunset pictures as I subtly prepare for our first winter here.
Got some asphalt laid out back. Shed to store some shit.
Got two generators. House is pre wired for generator. Got a freezer in the basement.

Am I missing anything?

View attachment 1279095
Mother in law quarters? ;)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
You'll get cold walking behind the snow blower, so have an extra layer you can peal off before you start shoveling.

When it snows, get the driveway blown off before anyone drives on it. If you don't you'll end up with ice tracks that won't come up unless you scrape them off the pavement.

dave29

Reaction score
Got 10 gallons of gas.
Only one shovel. Told wifey today we need two because her ass is helping.
Blower is coming shortly now that I have a shed to park it in.
As one who lives in snow country, 25 gallons with Stabil added. There is only one blower to buy..........Honda 32 Track Drive. Starts first time every time. A shovel for every entrance so you don't run around looking for them. A snow roof rake in case it really drops a ton!!!!! ATV with a plow depending on where you live and the length of your driveway. Small folding shovel in every car. I use the Glock entrenching tool. I also keep water and some food in the cars, just in case.
You're going to love it!!!

Wolskis

Reaction score
Oh and the heavy snow. That's so much fun.

Dalton

Reaction score
A couple 5 gallon buckets of fluid film and a sprayer to keep your cars from rusting out from under you. Its a beautiful area back there...I just can't understand how folks can deal with 100K vehicles disappearing every 5 years or so.

When I visited Michigan I couldn’t believe how many new cars I saw, they just don’t last

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Little know secret but the KISS song Detroit rock city was originally called Detroit salt rock city. Word got out about the song and the auto makers put a stop to the original release. It wasn’t until years later in a very hard to find interview that’s basically been wiped from the internet the songs true meaning.

snowhammer

Reaction score
When I visited Michigan I couldn’t believe how many new cars I saw, they just don’t last
Road chemicals are tough on vehicles and it is frustrating, but cars don't just disappear nor do they disintegrate after 5 years or 100k miles lol.

Cars are assembled in Michigan so there is a new car culture there, especially in SE Michigan where there are employee discounts and incentives.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
As one who lives in snow country, 25 gallons with Stabil added. There is only one blower to buy..........Honda 32 Track Drive. Starts first time every time. A shovel for every entrance so you don't run around looking for them. A snow roof rake in case it really drops a ton!!!!! ATV with a plow depending on where you live and the length of your driveway. Small folding shovel in every car. I use the Glock entrenching tool. I also keep water and some food in the cars, just in case.
You're going to love it!!!
Great tips. Thanks.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Road chemicals are tough on vehicles and it is frustrating, but cars don't just disappear nor do they disintegrate after 5 years or 100k miles lol.

Cars are assembled in Michigan so there is a new car culture there, especially in SE Michigan where there are employee discounts and incentives.
And newer cars along with how deicing is applied (cities and road crews don't apply nearly as much salt as they used to) means corrosion isn't quite as big an issue as in years past.

Around here car washes stay open year round. I run my hoopty through one every couple of weeks. Make sure you get the under body wash to blast that stuff off the rocker panels and the running gear.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Visited my friend in north east Utah this summer, I had lots of questions about how they survive winter. Last year they had 12’ of snow, 3 of his jobsites he had to abandon until spring as there was no where to pile the snow after a while.

He has a plow for the front of his truck and is up at 4:30am plowing his sun division down to the road where the plows go by. On days that they get more than 8” he calls a snow day for his company and they go sledding of skiing. He loves the winter sports and it’s all good for him, I’d suggest getting some snow toys.

AE174403-6708-4E87-B4BA-5C1D3F455033.jpeg
6DA86D5C-4F52-4C06-8E56-FFF621EEF10A.jpeg
D41ECDB3-FB99-4152-A38D-3712B15929BC.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Visited my friend in north east Utah this summer, I had lots of questions about how they survive winter. Last year they had 12’ of snow, 3 of his jobsites he had to abandon until spring as there was no where to pile the snow after a while.

He has a plow for the front of his truck and is up at 4:30am plowing his sun division down to the road where the plows go by. On days that they get more than 8” he calls a snow day for his company and they go sledding of skiing. He loves the winter sports and it’s all good for him, I’d suggest getting some snow toys.

View attachment 1279316 View attachment 1279319 View attachment 1279320

Yep.

Re-runs of All in The Family are gonna get old after awhile!

Plus, what grand kid isn't gonna wanna go for a ride on or behind a snowmobile!

Memory making time...

👍🏼👍🏼

C-2

Reaction score
This should get you thru winter and keep you from slacking on the music thread :p

s-l1600.2.jpg

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Winters are different. Bitter cold. Learn how to layer. I spent most of last winter working in CO. It was life changing. Lol
IMG_6086.jpeg

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score

I drove out to Michigan last fall to pick up my Formula. I saw this in the hotel parking lot so I snapped a photo of it. The owner happened to be looking out his room window and he asked me why I was taking a picture of his truck. I told him where I live we don't see fairly new trucks all rusted out like this. He laughed and said shit don't last long around here.

IMG_1399.JPG

Markus

Reaction score
Michigan probably uses more road salt than anywhere else in the world.

Bad for autos. Good for the auto industry.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Retired? Stock the liquor cabinet and wait for that shit to melt while watching re-runs of Gunsmoke!