WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOOKING FOR AN OLDER TELEHANDLER TO BUY IN THE WEST

kimbalee

Reaction score
We've been trying to buy one of these things for a while now for our build in Northern Nevada. Looking for 36ft reach, diesel that is reasonably priced that works. Have been bidding at Ritchie Bros, Iron Planet etc & keep getting punked by Corporations by a lot. Willing to get/ship it from anywhere west like AZ, CA, OR, NV. Not sure if these things are subject to the commiefornia CARB regulations or not - you would think we could find one if companies were trying to get rid of them because of CARB. If anyone has any leads or knows of any reputable sellers, I'd appreciate it. We have looked at quite a few private ones and they have literally been 1 step away from the scrap yard or dump. Thanks RDP.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Good luck. I’ve sold off about $9-$10M in telehanders in the last 6 months for wild profits. They’re hotter than real estate.

I have some JLG 10,000 capacity 54’ reach forks (model 1055A’s), approximately 4K hours, plumbed for swing carriages coming for sale soon. All sales are COD.

wallnutz

Reaction score
OK......
I'll ask.
whats a Telehandler ?
If you have to ask, you can't afford one 😜
1649361496683.jpeg

Sherpa

Reaction score
Forklifts, backhoes, excavators, tractors of all uses, etc are stupid crazy money these days.
I’ve been looking for a 9-10k pneumatic forklift and everything sub 8k hours is like buying new.
Most over 8k hours is worn out crap.

It’s not a good time to buy used equipment right now period.

-Sherpa

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Forklifts, backhoes, excavators, tractors of all uses, etc are stupid crazy money these days.
I’ve been looking for a 9-10k pneumatic forklift and everything sub 8k hours is like buying new.
Most over 8k hours is worn out crap.

It’s not a good time to buy used equipment right now period.

-Sherpa

You can’t get new which is why the secondary used market is hot right now. I had a client who wanted two new JLG 12k’s highly optioned. Probably $170k each. I called the manufacture and they said call us next year. No additional open slots this year lol

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
You guys probably just call it something different. I have worked all over the country and learned that they have many names -
Reach fork, zoom boom, pettibone. gradall, lull, etc.

All those names are legitimate brands at one time of telescopic forks. Like calling all skidsteer brands a Bobcat tractor.

Here on the west coast we call them reach forks. When I’m in the southeast it’s Pettibone or Lull. In the Northwest it’s Gradall. At least I know what they need and they’ll get whatever manufacture I have available lol

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
All those names are legitimate brands at one time of telescopic forks. Like calling all skidsteer brands a Bobcat tractor.

Here on the west coast we call them reach forks. When I’m in the southeast it’s Pettibone or Lull. In the Northwest it’s Gradall. At least I know what they need and they’ll get whatever manufacture I have available lol

With all the old timers I grew up with in construction it was always the "fork truck"..lol as we had an old pettibone an Ingersol Rand and a Gradall with that company.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
With all the old timers I grew up with in construction it was always the "fork truck"..lol as we had an old pettibone an Ingersol Rand and a Gradall with that company.

You’re dating yourself 😂
All three brands either out of business or absorbed by larger manufacturers and that line eliminated (Gradall). Ingersol-Rand line became SkyJack and Pettibone couldn’t keep up with evolution and disappeared lol.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
You’re dating yourself 😂
All three brands either out of business or absorbed by larger manufacturers and that line eliminated (Gradall). Ingersol-Rand line became SkyJack and Pettibone couldn’t keep up with evolution and disappeared lol.

Lol.. so are you telling me the Truss Jib I have for a Gradall I miswell just scrap.. lol

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
If you own a bridge stripper for a 20k you can sell it for big bucks

I don’t get into much of the false work attachments. Most of my core client base own the specialty items but, you’re correct, a lot of this nuance stuff is bringing crazy money. It’s a fun time to be in the business. I have to remind my younger reps that this crazy money won’t last forever so bury as much of it as they can in coffee cans in the backyard lol

HBCraig

Reaction score
I don’t get into much of the false work attachments. Most of my core client base own the specialty items but, you’re correct, a lot of this nuance stuff is bringing crazy money. It’s a fun time to be in the business. I have to remind my younger reps that this crazy money won’t last forever so bury as much of it as they can in coffee cans in the backyard lol
Yep, these young kids buying toys scares me

Reminds me of me when I was young. ;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The invoice I just paid for a one day rental calls it a telehandler! You have to schedule weeks in advance to even rent them.

Attachments

• FEF83251-0FAA-4B64-8782-2F6904753E8A.jpeg
    FEF83251-0FAA-4B64-8782-2F6904753E8A.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 41

Your ad here

Reaction score
@rivrrts429 What's the going sell rate for a 25kva multiquip generator in the 10,000-15,000 hour range? What's the rental rate on them?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
When I hear telehandler this is what comes to mind.

portable-sand-conveyor-500x500.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Screw that...buy boats and Speed car slots.

😎

But yea, when Covid came, as a business owner, we had to try to prepare for the worst. We prepared for times like 2007-2008.

How could anyone have predicted times like this? Even before the shortages, we were selling more product than we could produce. Our OE base was out of control.

Unprecedented times my friend.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
No delivery charge?

It was already out for rent about 7 miles away, I drove it over and back on a sunday while the other crew was off for the day.

Normally its $150 each way...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
@rivrrts429 What's the going sell rate for a 25kva multiquip generator in the 10,000-15,000 hour range? What's the rental rate on them?

I usually sell them right at 10k hours for anywhere between $7k-$10k. We’re pretty strict on service and service records and typically capture a premium sale price with all the documentation.

Depending how long the rental is for anywhere between $1k-$1.5k per month. I rarely do terms shorter than monthly on generators.

kimbalee

Reaction score
Good luck. I’ve sold off about $9-$10M in telehanders in the last 6 months for wild profits. They’re hotter than real estate.

I have some JLG 10,000 capacity 54’ reach forks (model 1055A’s), approximately 4K hours, plumbed for swing carriages coming for sale soon. All sales are COD.
yikes that's massive. We are looking for 20ft-42ft like an older skytrak 6036 or 8042. We will need it to erect our steel building (barndominium).

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
yikes that's massive. We are looking for 20ft-42ft like an older skytrak 6036 or 8042. We will need it to erect our steel building (barndominium).

Probably looking at 30K - 40K for a mid 2000s unit... Cheaper to pay an installer for a few heavy and high lift days, unless you are banking on selling it while they are still hot and trying cover it. I just build 2 big barndo type structures in So Utah and telehandlers are not for sale unless you know someone and get lucky. Good luck I hope you can find one, tenacity sometime pays off if you can stall the install to hunt for a piece of equipment.

Telehandlers make quick work of the trusses but after that you can improvise with scissor lifts and backhoe/buckets. Rent your telehandler for a day/two and get the heavy steel up...

Attachments

• building2.jpg
    building2.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 20
  • barndo.jpg
    barndo.jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 17

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The invoice I just paid for a one day rental calls it a telehandler! You have to schedule weeks in advance to even rent them.
If that is with gas….that is a deal. LOL. Paid $350 to fill up the boat for two days of fun. LOL

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
We call them lulls in this liberal state. Much needed on larger tight area jobs . Priceless for framers, and roofers or even masons. And great when I need to bring 600lb cast iron tubs up to sending floors lol. $50. 00 well spent

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Back in the early 70s when I lived in Mammoth… The Naz used to snag the Petibone on Saturdays and go racing around the streets of Mammoth…
… he never got caught by the Leos and never got fired???…Dunno???…

Bajastu

Reaction score
I buy all of the equipment at the heavy equipment rental company that I work at and the telehandler prices are off the chain. CAT, JLG, and JCB are all dealing with build issues and delivery dates are pushed until 2023. Besides, renting telehandlers is best kept to the high reach whore’s due to the low rates and high costs. They don’t make money when it comes to ROI. Especially in regards to earthmoving equipment.

Used equipment is stupid right now. I just received an email from United Rentals saying that they are suspending all used sales until new replacement units come in. To grow you need to sell one, and buy two.

If we shake one loose, I’ll send you the info. But with replacements backlogged, it’s hard to sell the old ones. We’re in the same boat as United and all of the other rental companies. It’s a tough balancing act to know when to buy, when to sell, and when to hold.

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Also try GovPlanet auctions as well.

I just rented a second JLG 8k the other is a 10k from sunbelt. This one has three cameras installed on it!

Bajastu

Reaction score
FYI, if you are using it for personal use on your property, the DOORs program doesn’t apply to you. Buy whatever tier unit you want.