WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jet Ski Racing in Lake Havasu This Weekend

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I ran into Mini Kat at the Flying X and he introduced me to Chris Fischetti. Now, anyone who was into ski racing in the 90's should remember the "Flying Fish" as he was called. Chris was the 1991 Pro Ski World Champion and one of the few guys to break up the utter domination of Jeff Jacobs that spanned more than a decade. Anyway, Chris is a good dude with a ton of energy and he started telling me about this new race format he is trying to get off the ground. Basically, what he wants to do is get the sport back to some semblance of it's former glory by making ski racing not only cool again, but accessible to the masses. One of the problems with the current format is that if you don't have some serious, and I mean 10s of thousands of dollars serious, money to put in your boat there is no way you are going to compete with the current crop of uber-fast skis. So, what Fischetti is trying to do is make a fun day on the beach where competitors can race whatever ski they have in their garage and spectators can enjoy some fun entertainment on the beach watching races and enjoying a few cold ones from the beer garden. Think of a surf competition only with jet ski racing for all skill levels.
Seems like a cool concept, so I went out this morning with Chris and snapped a few shots of him on one of his old race 550s so he had some shots to promote with. If you are around Havasu this weekend and looking for some entertainment on Saturday, head over to Rotary Beach and check out some Ski racing like Havasu used to do it :thumbup:

p814991745-6.jpg

p953990220-6.jpg

p440724189-6.jpg

p278628046-6.jpg

p1055279847-6.jpg

p530686593-6.jpg

p457593573-6.jpg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Wish we were closer to come watch. Used to love watching those back in the 90's.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Ton of energy is an understatement!!

Classic guy we used to run into him at the Sandbar all the time back in the day. I thought he moved to San Diego to teach wake surfing and surfing? I was surprised about a year ago I was watching the Fox Morning news and they did a segment on him and his classes in SD.

Beef Injector

Reaction score
I miss my stand-ups. There were a few races in Texas that we would watch back in the day. I just thought I had a ton of money in my Sxi pro. A while back there was a guy selling 2 race skis on Craigslist. One was $29k and one was $19k! Didnt know that was even possible!

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Anyone remember these days?

1939854_252880254893601_923591096_n.jpg

That's when Racing was Racing!!!!! It was how good you were not how much money you had.
And yes I did race the year of that photo and I did get 1st overall in my class, I went by the aka "Wailin' Wayne Aquino".:thumbup::thumbup:

riverroyal

Reaction score
We rode, practiced and raced together. We also saw our racing worlds fall out from under feet. We both rode stand ups until you were essentially forced to sit down! The market went to sit downs fast, within a few years the stand up class shrank with factory money and sponsorships went to runabout. That's what was selling at the time. You could jump on runabout for 6k, some were less. Not race a 6k runabout, but have fun on one. Kawasaki, sea doo and Yamaha were all trying to be number one to sell on Mondays, after a race on Sundays. They took the fast guys off the stand ups and sat them down, it sucked. But there was no choice, if you wanted to race for free, maybe make a few bucks you had to switch. A bunch of us tried to race both, that was fine locally, but on the national tour it was impossible. Plus if you rode for sea doo there was no stand up.
Here's where the fall out began, where that aerial picture got smaller and smaller. The factories were building very fast machines, if you didn't have a factory ride you had to dump 25k into a race runabout, that's for 1. Then throw in a practice ski and extra motors and transportation and you had 50 to 75k invested to beat the factory guys. If you won a national event the purse was about $2000 for 1st, that covered one day.
Towards 1996 the participants started dropping off, the sport priced itself off the map. The stand up class was gone, no longer the premier class, no longer any talented guys riding them ( except surf ride guys )
1997 rolled around, the watercraft sales were bad, horrible. They units were now 10k, nobody was buying. Sea doo went from 7 factory riders (me included) to 2 . They pulled the plug on the racing program, Yamaha followed a few seasons later, then Kawasaki.
This left rich guys, or guys hanging on to the dream. My final factory ride was the world finals in 1996, after a dismal year on tour with mechanical issues I finished 7th. This meant no factory ride the following year, I couldn't afford to do it on my own or with other sponsorships, the money wasn't there. Plus I was expecting son number 1! In 97 I raced one final time on a previous sponsors machine, I finished 3rd, my son in diapers on the beach.
I knew that was it, all of us did. Racing was done, over a decade of riding and racing, spending and scratching to make money was finished. I sold my race boats to japan, left exactly as they were , same race number, same names on the side. My new wife and son bought a house with the money from the sale of all my gear and equipment.
( just bought that kid in diapers a car yesterday!)

This was 90% of the racers story in 97, minus the wife part.

So we jumped back on our stand ups, hit the surf, attempted to make few videos. This is when crusty demons was making its mark. That idea really never took off, there was few surf events but never anything great.

I spent countless days with Chris, his dad always lending a hand at races. If anyone can pull this off it's him. We used to talk about how the sanctioning body was screwing things up, how big money and factories were killing the actual racing. It needs to get back to basics, a fun day on the beach. Nothing was more exciting than 50000 people at the world finals, the problem was the racers were not making any money. No purse money with no sponsors and you couldn't compete. So his idea is good, you don't need a 30k sit down to win. That will bring guys back out.

I saw Chris this summer and I know he is busting is ass to make this work. He is hands down the best guy for this, nobody self promotes more than he did and still does with this new venture.

Funny timing, I got a video from a friend today showing his son on a bullet racing stand up at body beach. Stand ups are back.

If you hate pwc's on the lake cause you have a boat I get it, I boat! But for the city of havasu it's very positive, for the local businesses and shops it's a boost in revenue. Nobody can hate that

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
We rode, practiced and raced together. We also saw our racing worlds fall out from under feet. We both rode stand ups until you were essentially forced to sit down! The market went to sit downs fast, within a few years the stand up class shrank with factory money and sponsorships went to runabout. That's what was selling at the time. You could jump on runabout for 6k, some were less. Not race a 6k runabout, but have fun on one. Kawasaki, sea doo and Yamaha were all trying to be number one to sell on Mondays, after a race on Sundays. They took the fast guys off the stand ups and sat them down, it sucked. But there was no choice, if you wanted to race for free, maybe make a few bucks you had to switch. A bunch of us tried to race both, that was fine locally, but on the national tour it was impossible. Plus if you rode for sea doo there was no stand up.
Here's where the fall out began, where that aerial picture got smaller and smaller. The factories were building very fast machines, if you didn't have a factory ride you had to dump 25k into a race runabout, that's for 1. Then throw in a practice ski and extra motors and transportation and you had 50 to 75k invested to beat the factory guys. If you won a national event the purse was about $2000 for 1st, that covered one day.
Towards 1996 the participants started dropping off, the sport priced itself off the map. The stand up class was gone, no longer the premier class, no longer any talented guys riding them ( except surf ride guys )
1997 rolled around, the watercraft sales were bad, horrible. They units were now 10k, nobody was buying. Sea doo went from 7 factory riders (me included) to 2 . They pulled the plug on the racing program, Yamaha followed a few seasons later, then Kawasaki.
This left rich guys, or guys hanging on to the dream. My final factory ride was the world finals in 1996, after a dismal year on tour with mechanical issues I finished 7th. This meant no factory ride the following year, I couldn't afford to do it on my own or with other sponsorships, the money wasn't there. Plus I was expecting son number 1! In 97 I raced one final time on a previous sponsors machine, I finished 3rd, my son in diapers on the beach.
I knew that was it, all of us did. Racing was done, over a decade of riding and racing, spending and scratching to make money was finished. I sold my race boats to japan, left exactly as they were , same race number, same names on the side. My new wife and son bought a house with the money from the sale of all my gear and equipment.

So we jumped back on our stand ups, hit the surf, attempted to make few videos. This is when crusty demons was making its mark. That idea really never took off, there was few surf events but never anything great.

I spent countless days with Chris, his dad always lending a hand at races. If anyone can pull this off it's him. We used to talk about how the sanctioning body was screwing things up, how big money and factories were killing the actual racing. It needs to get back to basics, a fun day on the beach. Nothing was more exciting than 50000 people at the world finals, the problem was the racers were not making any money. No purse money with no sponsors and you couldn't compete. So his idea is good, you don't need a 30k sit down to win. That will bring guys back out.

I saw Chris this summer and I know he is busting is ass to make this work. He is hands down the best guy for this, nobody self promotes more than he did and still does with this new venture.

Funny timing, I got a video from a friend today showing his son on a bullet racing stand up at body beach. Stand ups are back.

If you hate pwc's on the lake cause you have a boat I get it, I boat! But for the city of havasu it's very positive, for the local businesses and shops it's a boost in revenue. Nobody can hate that

Excellent post. [emoji106]

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

I'm a hater only when it comes to sit downs...much respect for the stand ups as they don't have training wheels and actually take skill to ride them..

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

That's an awesome post! Do you mind if I forward that to Chris?

yard dog

Reaction score
I hope have this type of event will keep Body Beach alive . I remember reading in the newspaper that Body Beach was going to be up for grabs to the highest bidder in 2015. Funding for the acquisition was approved by the city council , with plans to expand Rotary Park . Many are saying that will be end of Body Beach .:grumble:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Awesome posts and thread. I wish I could be in town this week. World Finals coverage even in small increments is what introduced Havasu and the scene to some of us East Coasters long before MTV went there for spring break. This looks like a great event and I hope it works for all parties. :thumbup:

Active running JS in garage
83 440
86 440
92 550
06 800
07 800

riverroyal

Reaction score
That's an awesome post! Do you mind if I forward that to Chris?

tell him Steve Royal says hello. I cant get out there this weekend. Sons home coming event.

also Tell him Im still waiting for the IROC event! Gotta be only a few laps though, my back wont last!

TCHB

Reaction score
Sounds like I will be busy this weekend again!!

I never realized Jet Ski Racing in Havasu pulled that kind of a crowd.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
tell him Steve Royal says hello. I cant get out there this weekend. Sons home coming event.

also Tell him Im still waiting for the IROC event! Gotta be only a few laps though, my back wont last!

Will do!

Joe mama

Reaction score
Definitely takes skill, I bought a 550sx 2 years ago just to play around on and its fun but you won't catch me on the lake with it..

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Thats cool, I remember Fishetti and Jacobs. I used to go to the IJSBA events.

I had a JS440 for 10 years before I got my first boat. Used to ride out of O'side Harbor quite a bit and jump the surf.
Spent a lot of weekends at Mission Bay also. Was a fun time before the kids came along.

I have been wanting to get another stand up to ride at the river...they are so much fun to ride.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Sounds like I will be busy this weekend again!!

I never realized Jet Ski Racing in Havasu pulled that kind of a crowd.

we booked our hotels a year in advance. From 87 to 97 the event was huge. In 94 there was over 100000 people in town for it. It was really a big deal at the time. In 95 and 96 my sponsor rented a house for the entire month of October and set up shop in the garage. I traveled back and forth from socal every few days.

I could write for days about the chaos racers caused on the national tour. This was before any care of social media! you could actually get away with crap. I watched rental cars destroyed every weekend.
We partied at Vanilla Ice's house in Dallas, the night of the near O.D. I never saw any drugs though, just lots of drinking

In 94 I think fish, myself and hand full of other guys waited for lake perris to overflow. We knew it would, rained hard all winter. We launched at Canyon lake and rode east, through fields, over rapids and stolen cars. We stopped at one car just to see who could jump over it. We made it all the way to the McDonalds east of the 215. This was on stand ups, sometime in inches of water. In the rain, wearing dry suits.

My wife is a angel....she was my GF then, we just had our 18th anniversary sunday. No clue why she stuck it out with me back then.

underpressure

Reaction score
I had an '83 440 that was personally built by Ed Miller at PJS. Went to several races with the PJS team in the early 80's. Rode the Ripper's World Champion JS at Lake Powell, what an effing handful! Have met the Fish and talked to him at the Sandbar, totally cool dude. I hope that he can pull this off, great idea!

I boat, and don't care for lake lice. But, the people riding stand ups don't seem to be as much of a problem. Guess that because it takes a little talent to actually ride one...

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score

You Hit The Nail Right On The Head! I've always said just because they make a mini van, it dosen't mean it has to be raced in Nascar.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
we booked our hotels a year in advance. From 87 to 97 the event was huge. In 94 there was over 100000 people in town for it. It was really a big deal at the time. In 95 and 96 my sponsor rented a house for the entire month of October and set up shop in the garage. I traveled back and forth from socal every few days.

I could write for days about the chaos racers caused on the national tour. This was before any care of social media! you could actually get away with crap. I watched rental cars destroyed every weekend.
We partied at Vanilla Ice's house in Dallas, the night of the near O.D. I never saw any drugs though, just lots of drinking

In 94 I think fish, myself and hand full of other guys waited for lake perris to overflow. We knew it would, rained hard all winter. We launched at Canyon lake and rode east, through fields, over rapids and stolen cars. We stopped at one car just to see who could jump over it. We made it all the way to the McDonalds east of the 215. This was on stand ups, sometime in inches of water. In the rain, wearing dry suits.

My wife is a angel....she was my GF then, we just had our 18th anniversary sunday. No clue why she stuck it out with me back then.

It would be really cool to sit down with you and fish and get an insiders view of those days for a story in the newsletter. Bunch of old pics and a story of how is used to be would be cool I think! Hell I think I even have some pics of my cousin Jen on tour with the Ripper when she was dating him back in the day.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

RR. Do you remember a guy named Derek Natvig. He used to race also. Won his division once or twice in Havasu. He mainly did Moto X. He married my wifes freind Mercedes Gonzales who used to race Moto X and Mountain Bikes.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It has been getting bigger and bigger every year.

I'll be there for the week of World Finals next month, truly a global event.

Staying at Crazy Horse.

Brian

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
RR. Do you remember a guy named Derek Natvig. He used to race also. Won his division once or twice in Havasu. He mainly did Moto X. He married my wifes freind Mercedes Gonzales who used to race Moto X and Mountain Bikes.

I remember Natvig. He used to race at Canyon once in a while when I was a kid

riverroyal

Reaction score

Mercedes was a great moto girl also

riverroyal

Reaction score
It would be really cool to sit down with you and fish and get an insiders view of those days for a story in the newsletter. Bunch of old pics and a story of how is used to be would be cool I think! Hell I think I even have some pics of my cousin Jen on tour with the Ripper when she was dating him back in the day.

Larry was my starting gate holder in 94 on the national tour and the world finals. shorter and crazy strong, he was great, I never had to look for him, my heat would come up and he would be at the gate. I was on a Riva Yamaha then, wasn't riding for them but camped with Dustin Farthing and using his back up equipment. My sponsor was paying the Farthings, they transported and maintained the Yamaha for me. I was staying with them a bunch also, drank a lot of beer with Mr Farthing!
We watched a guy get his face busted in a shitty karaoke bar in New Jersey, only reason was he sucked! Rough crowd

Your cousin Jen, short hair. I remember her. Larry was flying to races and working at water world at Universal.