WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jet Ski knowledge

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Anybody know someone who knows about early stand up jet skis? I was trying to help my brother out with a couple that he bought, got one to run, but some rocket scientist rebuilt the other engine, got a couple of external water leaks, apparently a bunch of compression cause it spins nice without spark plugs,, but pretty slow with the plugs in. Figured someone on here knows someone I can talk to.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Anybody know someone who knows about early stand up jet skis? I was trying to help my brother out with a couple that he bought, got one to run, but some rocket scientist rebuilt the other engine, got a couple of external water leaks, apparently a bunch of compression cause it spins nice without spark plugs,, but pretty slow with the plugs in. Figured someone on here knows someone I can talk to.

how much compression?
maybe a bad starter or to much compression
we use to run 24 volts (2 12 volt batteries in sequence) with the really high compression motors. you can try that to and see if you can get it to fire. If it is a compression issue, quick fix would be thicker head gaskets

obnoxious001

Reaction score
how much compression?
maybe a bad starter or to much compression
we use to run 24 volts (2 12 volt batteries in sequence) with the really high compression motors. you can try that to and see if you can get it to fire. If it is a compression issue, quick fix would be thicker head gaskets

Thanks,,swapped a new starter in that someone had given me, turns at the same speed. We had jumper cables from the truck, mostly because the batteries hadn't been charged, but spun pretty decent without the plugs. I was going to do a compression test to see how stout the thing is,, but seems like the spark plug threads are a little different?

I need to pull the head, had a couple of small external water leaks even on very low (extremely low)water pressure from the hose. I have a feeling the guy who put the engine together didn't have a clue. He ran the ground from the battery to where it didn't ground to the case, and everything in the engine compartment is painted a different color!

TeamHawaiin

Reaction score
I think the battery ground not grounded to the case is the main reason that engine doesn't turn over very well with plugs in. I have three Seadoos and one of them had a problem something like this. Even though it was grounded to the case, the last guys thick paint job wouldn't allow a good contact. I had to scrape that spot clean. Problem solved. Good luck on the other things.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Call Jammin Jeff Jacobs!!:D

Motor Boater

Reaction score

HA HA! I always run into Chris "the Flyin Fish" Fischetti in Havasu. He even came over and hung out with us one night at our rental house. I use to idolize that guy back in the day.

PVHCA

Reaction score
HA HA! I always run into Chris "the Flyin Fish" Fischetti in Havasu. He even came over and hung out with us one night at our rental house. I use to idolize that guy back in the day.

SWEET!!

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I think the battery ground not grounded to the case is the main reason that engine doesn't turn over very well with plugs in. I have three Seadoos and one of them had a problem something like this. Even though it was grounded to the case, the last guys thick paint job wouldn't allow a good contact. I had to scrape that spot clean. Problem solved. Good luck on the other things.

Thanks, I will double check the ground. There is some pretty funky paint on it, but thought the stud was clean.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score

I had one of his 440 SS practice motors from PJS in my 550. It was high comp, race fuel only and had a hella time turning over unless you had a strong battery and good starter. This motor may be a high Comp. if it's lagging on crank w/ the plugs in..........

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I had one of his 440 SS practice motors from PJS in my 550. It was high comp, race fuel only and had a hella time turning over unless you had a strong battery and good starter. This motor may be a high Comp. if it's lagging on crank w/ the plugs in..........

I am guessing the guy who put it together didn't have any real clue, since he painted each part a different color, or perhaps he only had partial cans of each color. We did just put a new starter in it, but it wasn't any better than the lovely red one that was in it. We did have high quality jumper cables so should have had that covered.

R

Retired Member

Thanks,,swapped a new starter in that someone had given me, turns at the same speed. We had jumper cables from the truck, mostly because the batteries hadn't been charged, but spun pretty decent without the plugs. I was going to do a compression test to see how stout the thing is,, but seems like the spark plug threads are a little different?

I need to pull the head, had a couple of small external water leaks even on very low (extremely low)water pressure from the hose. I have a feeling the guy who put the engine together didn't have a clue. He ran the ground from the battery to where it didn't ground to the case, and everything in the engine compartment is painted a different color!

I don't think they grounded to the case, from the factory, but rather to the motor bed pan.

Reactions: Jmp

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I don't think they grounded to the case, from the factory, but rather to the motor bed pan.

These are mid 80's 440 Kawasaki, at least one is 1984 by the registration. I looked at the 2nd ski that is stock and noticed that the "built" one had no ground to the motor(wonder why it would not turn over?), so copied the stock one.

Too bad my brother bought these without asking me to look, but don't think he paid much for them on the pos trailer. I keep telling him he needs a boat instead.

R

Retired Member

These are mid 80's 440 Kawasaki, at least one is 1984 by the registration. I looked at the 2nd ski that is stock and noticed that the "built" one had no ground to the motor(wonder why it would not turn over?), so copied the stock one.

Too bad my brother bought these without asking me to look, but don't think he paid much for them on the pos trailer. I keep telling him he needs a boat instead.

Well, you got it to turn over so now you gotta get it to run. If it won't fire, obviously look for fuel and spark. If there is no fuel, most likely the diaphram fuel pump is bad. I do believe they were made by Mikuni.

Being 2-strokes they are very simple in design.Shouldn't take a whole lot to get them running.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Well, you got it to turn over so now you gotta get it to run. If it won't fire, obviously look for fuel and spark. If there is no fuel, most likely the diaphram fuel pump is bad. I do believe they were made by Mikuni.

Being 2-strokes they are very simple in design.Shouldn't take a whole lot to get them running.

Yep,, just need enough rotating speed now I think. Did check spark. The carburetor is painted silver,, don't like the look of that. If it were mine it would already be torn down to rebuild, but I have very limited space with all the "real" engines here.