WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is this a bearing wall?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I get a lot of requests to remove dividing walls to enlarge rooms. Everyone loves that "open concept" feel. It is popular to have a Great Room combining family, dining area and kitchen areas.

The question is often asked: "Is this a bearing wall?"

Countless times the realtor or homeowner reaches over and raps his knuckles on the wall.

I try not to laugh out loud at this. Knock, knock, knock. As if the hollow sound of drywall between the studs can tell you.

Then I hear: "But the neighbor did it."

Yes, and their ceiling is sagging about 2" across the room as well. LOL

Do the ceiling joists lay on it? Do they overlap on it? Are there engineered trusses above it? Is there a second story with another wall right above this one?

I've been in a few homes where you can tell a bearing wall was removed without regard to what it was holding up. The ceiling sags with gentle belly across the room. Or they've added living space in the attic without resizing the joists to account for the load.

hallett21

Reaction score
I must be running wire in the neighbors house right now lol. Lady had removed the wall holding half of the second floor. We promptly walked back out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Are you making fun of the use of the phrase "bearing wall" because they are not saying 'load bearing wall?

Or just the fact that they don't get its not a simple question that can be answered by looking at it or knocking to see if its hollow (as most are ... every 16 inches!).

People always see things they like and never understand what it takes to make it happen. ;)

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Nothing a beam can’t solve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
514sjF23sHL._SY355_.jpg

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I love that tap on the wall, at best it proves there is no load at that spot at worst it hurts your nuckle.

Years ago I went too bid a job where the home owner was having issues removing the wall. Seem he kept breaking sawzall blades when they would get stuck in the 2x4....90k later I fixed all of the damage, had a proper beam installed.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
When I bought my first house 10 years ago..."renovations" (or demo) had already began. The kitchen wall was knocked out to open it up to the living area. The span is 10 feet or so, the ceiling joists ran parallel to the wall removed. Someone decided that they needed a beam, and stuck a 14x8" beam up there to "support the ceiling". Tall folks might have hit their head on it after it was wrapped in drywall. It made great firewood.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Yes, the useless support beam. That's awesome.

We've put in some big ass beams over the years. Sometimes we can just wing it, other times it needs to be engineered. One project in La Jolla wanted the open concept. The engineer worked overtime. Huge laminated beam, it took six guys and some heavy jacks to get it in place. But the footings..... I think we needed four feet down, and three feet wide. I think you can see my ankles in this one. Had to epoxy in a new rebar cage for this post.
chelsea (2).jpg

Yellowboat

Reaction score
What did he get kick backs from the glue lam manufactor?

I also love when the spec a beam Th a would make the space unlovable space as it's too tall.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Beams are your Friend! I lost a few kitchen bids. On 1 I was there after the fact and the owner told me he found a guy that could do it without adding a beam. Not sure what he did.

I am at a kitchen job now. Opening it up. Architect said these walls are nothing remove them. Every one was a shear wall once drywall stripped. One has a 4x14 header above it. Had to change the design a little but adding more shear than what is being removed. This will be the most expensive kitchen I have done to date. Subzero they wsnt is $17K I was told. Trying to get the old 1 which is 3 years old out the deal along with 2 cars.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Knocking on the wall is the first step in the process. Next is using a Sky Hook to allow you to remove the wall

Sky%20Hook.jpg

Homeowners: If they don't use a Sky Hook then it's not to code

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We renovated a kitchen in this ocean front condo building. Third floor up. I think is was a 16 foot long 4 x 14. There was no way it was going up the stairs or in the elevator. So we had four guys on the balcony, tied a couple ropes around the beam and pulled it up by hand. A crowd gathered to watch. A resident in a Mercedes had to pull into the garage during the middle of the operation. "Could she wait" we asked. Hell no, get out of the way.... she drove under the swaying beam.

We got it up onto the balcony and in through the slider into the kitchen. The owner was a brain surgeon. He wanted to do the demo himself. I reminded him he makes about $20,000 an hour with those hands... did he really want to risk them swinging a hammer and a crowbar. LOL
457 Coast.JPG

NicPaus

Reaction score
How about brick chimneys. 2 jobs I got under bid on last year needed removal. One the engineer estimated 30k to do it right. Realtor said they found someone for 5k to remove and haul it.

Another a Korean contractor removed the lower and left the upper portion so he could open the room. Even after there realtor advised not to as a property he owned had similar done and ended up costing him a lot if money when selling.

Both houses they bought for 1.2 and 1.5 they had the funds to do it right. Now they compromised the house but both said they don't plan on selling.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
How about brick chimneys. 2 jobs I got under bid on last year needed removal. One the engineer estimated 30k to do it right. Realtor said they found someone for 5k to remove and haul it.

Another a Korean contractor removed the lower and left the upper portion so he could open the room. Even after there realtor advised not to as a property he owned had similar done and ended up costing him a lot if money when selling.

Both houses they bought for 1.2 and 1.5 they had the funds to do it right. Now they compromised the house but both said they don't plan on selling.

This has to be a prefab style chimney right? Although I did work on one old house where the home had a rooftop brick chimney, but no fireplace...we scratched out heads a bit. They had removed the fireplace and left the chimney supported by two by fours up in the attic.

cxr

Reaction score
So what’s the answer? I have a question if. A pole was load bearing on an additional living room we have. There is a big ass beam horizontal across the ceiling. And then on the floor side there was railing with a 2x4 going to the ceiling that we removed when we replaced the railing

Yellowboat

Reaction score
This has to be a prefab style chimney right? Although I did work on one old house where the home had a rooftop brick chimney, but no fireplace...we scratched out heads a bit. They had removed the fireplace and left the chimney supported by two by fours up in the attic.
Had one of those years ago, it had actually fallen inside the wall when the supports gave way, it was a very expensive fix

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So what’s the answer? I have a question if. A pole was load bearing on an additional living room we have. There is a big ass beam horizontal across the ceiling. And then on the floor side there was railing with a 2x4 going to the ceiling that we removed when we replaced the railing
Huh?

Usually if there is a pole connected to a beam and the pole isn't polished or able to spin.... Its load bearing.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Next time they ask if its bearing tell 'em you're more of a tiger :p

cxr

Reaction score
Huh?

Usually if there is a pole connected to a beam and the pole isn't polished or able to spin.... Its load bearing.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

It was able
To spin that’s why we removed it had one of those little wood dowels in it that had broke I’m still u sure it it’s load bearing but the main beam across has held

NicPaus

Reaction score

No regular brick. First one was the center of the house. Should have had 2 footings poured and 2 18' tall shear walls to replace.

Other was massive they left the part not in the area being opened. Not sure what they supported other area with. The chimney still there when I drive by but realtor said they opened the room up and removed fireplace in the way. Ceiling had a bad sag already in the middle of living room. Both were realtor referrals glad I lost.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It was able
To spin that’s why we removed it had one of those little wood dowels in it that had broke I’m still u sure it it’s load bearing but the main beam across has held
Screenshot_20180925-134318_Chrome.jpg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I get a lot of requests to remove dividing walls to enlarge rooms. Everyone loves that "open concept" feel. It is popular to have a Great Room combining family, dining area and kitchen areas.

The question is often asked: "Is this a bearing wall?"

Countless times the realtor or homeowner reaches over and raps his knuckles on the wall.

I try not to laugh out loud at this. Knock, knock, knock. As if the hollow sound of drywall between the studs can tell you.

Then I hear: "But the neighbor did it."

Yes, and their ceiling is sagging about 2" across the room as well. LOL

Do the ceiling joists lay on it? Do they overlap on it? Are there engineered trusses above it? Is there a second story with another wall right above this one?

I've been in a few homes where you can tell a bearing wall was removed without regard to what it was holding up. The ceiling sags with gentle belly across the room. Or they've added living space in the attic without resizing the joists to account for the load.
there's a differance between a shear wall, and a bearing wall, and aballon framed wall, so knocking on it don't tell you shit... the best way is to look in the ceiling attic and see if the wall has floating clips on top of the top plate,,,and even then, some hangers will hang the wall first on rake ceilings, which is wrong because the load on the truss has to be applied before the walls are hung

Yellowboat

Reaction score
No regular brick. First one was the center of the house. Should have had 2 footings poured and 2 18' tall shear walls to replace.

Other was massive they left the part not in the area being opened. Not sure what they supported other area with. The chimney still there when I drive by but realtor said they opened the room up and removed fireplace in the way. Ceiling had a bad sag already in the middle of living room. Both were realtor referrals glad I lost.
There is only 2 realtor that I will take any referrals from. Both I have known 10+ years they both pay up instantly and won't refer me unless they know the people are on the up and up.

NicPaus

Reaction score
There is only 2 realtor that I will take any referrals from. Both I have known 10+ years they both pay up instantly and won't refer me unless they know the people are on the up and up.

Realtor was against there decision. I learned that years ago to avoid working for most realtors. Two that have been sending me a lot work are solid. My Realtor gives me the most work out of everyone. She takes great care of her clients and we always go out of our way for them as well. She sold the first 2 houses I built ground up and have done many projects together since. Working on plans now to build 2 new on a lot she has. Most only care about there commission. And short term profit. They always promise tons of jobs if you give them a deal and you never hear from them again.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The Realtors I work with get well taken care of and they send me ton of work. Some are great, some are....we will say....less great. LOL

The shady ones always ask for the smoking deal on this job, and promise future work. I let them know the first job is full price, and I will give them a great deal on the next one. LOL

Not to be racist but some cultures are just hell bent on getting a discount. You learn to price that into the project.

I sure wish there was a database called "Rate the Customer".... We could all give THEM reviews!

Your ad here

Reaction score
I'm so glad I work on the commercial side of construction. There are some HGTV experts but thats far and few between and pretty damn funny to see.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Not to be racist but some cultures are just hell bent on getting a discount. You learn to price that into the project.

Lol, The wife loves my line to people asking for a discount when discuss budget pricing for a project. I tell them I give everyone the same price and it is a good deal. Then I ask are You still asking for a discount? How much of a discount? Typically they don’t answer. I ask how about 10%? They say sure. I tell them take the price that I gave them add 20%. That is the new price that I will discount 10% for them. I am laughing at that time at the puzzled look on their face. If you want cheap go to Home DEpot for your crap.

Another good one. Had a multi-million dollar high-rise project 12 years ago. The GC went to China and copied a important feature of the project that we were selling them. I bit my tongue and have never discussed the issue. Last week I was at the architect’s office only to find the copied product is not holding up over time. LMAO looks like they might need to replace the crap from China.