WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Info On Passats

rivergames

Reaction score
The g/f is looking for a car. Her price range is around $3k max. She is liking the passats. Are passats good cars or junk after 150K?

Anyone else recommend a good reliable car in the $3k price range?

Anarchy Powerboats

Reaction score
Really depends on the service history, if they have a solid history you should be fine, they are good cars. I prefer the diesel VW's myself.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
IMO, if you're GF is in that price range she needs to stay with a honda or toyota. I wouldnt get into a $3K Passat and expect much reliability from it.

westair

Reaction score
IMO, if you're GF is in that price range she needs to stay with a honda or toyota. I wouldnt get into a $3K Passat and expect much reliability from it.

x2 Passat has a good resale so a 3k dollar one would probably be used up.

koenig

Reaction score
They are good cars and are popular so they have resale value. For $3k you'll mostly find cars from the 1990's.

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
Has the timing belt / water pump been replaced? Don't see that in there.

rivergames

Reaction score
Has the timing belt / water pump been replaced? Don't see that in there.

I'm not sure. Just a rough guestimate... What do you think it would cost to replace a timing belt and water pump?

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I may have a buddy looking to sell his... Let me text him...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I think most VW's from that era have window-regulator issues.
There's a lot of youtube videos out about how to do the repair.

Other than that, I would definitely get the car checked out, and definitely see if you can get the maintenance records. German electrical systems in high-mile cars scare me, but if the mechanicals have been maintained properly then they should be pretty stout.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

I'm a VW fan and I wouldn't buy a $3K Passat.

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
You're looking at cars over 10 yrs old, and German parts are expensive. Honda and Toyota would be nice, but they are at premium with gas prices up.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Sounds serious...two girlfriend posts in a couple days:D

If your really inlove why not let her drive the ghetto pumpkin:champagne::skull

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I would stay away from a $3000 Passat, especially with the 1.8 Turbo. I had 01 A4 with the 1.8, essentially the same motor. That motor has major issues with sludge buildup due to the turbo cokeing the oil when turned off hot. I lost the turbo at 110k miles. Audi wanted $3800 to fix it. I was able to do it for under $1000, but between that and the other issues that were always $1000+ to fix, I can't recommend the 1.8 turbo to anyone.

I would stick with a Honda in that price range. My 91 civic that I bought when it was about 1 year old, is still a daily driver in my family. The other few Honda's I had thruout the years were always reliable. My daily driver is now a Honda again.

Reaction score
You know, you could Be a good boyfriend/soon to be fianc? and help her buy a better car. Just saying

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
My daughter had a Jetta with that motor, it was a pile at 70k miles, my galpal had an A4 with that motor, it was a pile at 90k.

I can tell you that both of the cars above were maintained. Oh and wait for the electrical issues to start happening. :rolleyes: You'll kick yourself then your girl will kick your ass to the curb for letting her buy a pile o crap...

vstdispatch

Reaction score
dont buy a VW Andrew. I have heard alot of bad things from a friend of mine that is a mechanic.

rivergames

Reaction score
You know, you could Be a good boyfriend/soon to be fianc? and help her buy a better car. Just saying

Sounds serious...two girlfriend posts in a couple days:D

If your really inlove why not let her drive the ghetto pumpkin:champagne::skull

She wouldnt be able to afford nor her body would be able to handle my interest rates

rivergames

Reaction score
Ok so German Cars Sux

What else is a nice car/truck/suv for the $3K budget?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Ok so German Cars Sux

German cars don't suck. They're built great, can last a long time, and parts can be cheap, particularly for some models.

... but you have to source parts from a poor country, like Portugal, to get parts cheap and mechanics are going to slaughter you on labor here.

For someone like me, who has two other vehicles and fixes everything myself, VWs are great. For someone like your girlfriend who isn't sure where the front of the car is, she would be better off with a Corolla or Civic.

ArcadiaBrad

Reaction score
Had a 97 Passat....biggest piece of S$*t ever with only 90k miles.....was so bad I could not in good conscience sell it to someone else...ended up doing the car donation thing.....

Stick with Honda/Toyota

rivergames

Reaction score
German cars don't suck. They're built great, can last a long time, and parts can be cheap, particularly for some models.

... but you have to source parts from a poor country, like Portugal, to get parts cheap and mechanics are going to slaughter you on labor here.

For someone like me, who has two other vehicles and fixes everything myself, VWs are great. For someone like your girlfriend who isn't sure where the front of the car is, she would be better off with a Corolla or Civic.

Word.

I really do not want to add another project to my list and have to work on her car :thumbsdown

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Had a 97 Passat....biggest piece of S$*t ever with only 90k miles.....was so bad I could not in good conscience sell it to someone else...ended up doing the car donation thing.....

Stick with Honda/Toyota

I forgot to mention that. Some VWs aren't that great. That includes some Jettas and Golfs, too.

I consider the ALH series A3 chassis to be the best cars ever made, bar none. Meanwhile, you don't have to move very far on the model chart to find some pretty poor cars, for various reasons.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It looks like she's hell-bent on you working on her car.

In that price range, and with your unwillingness to spend every waking hour wrenching on her car, you really need to look at a Japanese car.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Don't ask me why, but she likes the old jeeps

something like this.... Any thoughts?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/3101947555.html

I would rather drive that 2K jeep than a 4K VW:D:skull

Does it have the 4.0?

If it does they typically last forever and parts are cheap. If that was 4x4 it would be going for alot more $$$.

Honesty if your shopping in that price range your going to be working on and fixing shit;)

rivergames

Reaction score
I would rather drive that 2K jeep than a 4K VW:D:skull

Does it have the 4.0?

If it does they typically last forever and parts are cheap. If that was 4x4 it would be going for alot more $$$.

Honesty if your shopping in that price range your going to be working on and fixing shit;)

How about this one? Lots of miles, but it seams the guy has been replacing a bunch of parts

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3099332472.html

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
How about this one? Lots of miles, but it seams the guy has been replacing a bunch of parts

It's almost certainly the 4 liter AMC engine. Those cars go forever.

The thing is, they don't go forever in a nice way. By now, it will have terrible oil leaks and quite a bit of blow-by. That's not to say it will conk out tomorrow, it won't, but if you life the hood or look underneath, you will see an oil slick that would blacken Prince William Sound.

Oh... and the power locks will be shot, unless he has just replaced them. In this case, they will work for a few months and then die again. lol!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

To give you an idea I bought my dad an 01 anniversary edition with 115K miles on it in good shape for $3200

No issues after a tune up and he has driven it to Parker and dumont offroading. My dad has $$$ and has owned alot of nice shit but loves his cherokee after I cleaned it up and put on the lift.

Attachments

• 416092_2316817170269_549971854_o.jpg
    416092_2316817170269_549971854_o.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 79

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It's almost certainly the 4 liter AMC engine. Those cars go forever.

The thing is, they don't go forever in a nice way. By now, it will have terrible oil leaks and quite a bit of blow-by. That's not to say it will conk out tomorrow, it won't, but if you life the hood or look underneath, you will see an oil slick that would blacken Prince William Sound.

Oh... and the power locks will be shot, unless he has just replaced them. In this case, they will work for a few months and then die again. lol!

They do have some known electrical issues....lol

Alot of info for tips and tricks on the cherokee forums. When I got the jeep the driver window control would only open that window. God knows how long the previous owner driove around like that. I bypassed the window lock button and everything was golden in about 5 minutes:D

rivergames

Reaction score
Does this girl have a job?

What kind of girl are you setteling down with that drives a 15 y/o blazer?:D

I always pictured you with whiskey drinking strippers that drove convertible BMW's:skull

Hahaha "Setteling Down" :D

She sells skin care products. She is a whiskey drinker but not a stipper. I wouldn't date a stripper, only party and have my way with them. Strippers are nut jobs

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I would tell her to look for a 99-2000 Camry or Accord. Afterall, you wouldn't want your "wife to be" left stranded somewhere. :D